FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   first-world problems: booked LH F award FRA-ORD, will not have time to enjoy FCT... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1375910-first-world-problems-booked-lh-f-award-fra-ord-will-not-have-time-enjoy-fct.html)

TA Aug 10, 2012 10:20 am

first-world problems: booked LH F award FRA-ORD, will not have time to enjoy FCT...

What a dilemma -- I finally bit the bullet, booked a return ticket to the US with LH F through FRA, but because of a 55 min connection time in FRA, doubt that I will get to enjoy the FCT. No other connections as attractive.

I suppose that LH F will be consolation enough, but man, what a waste! Too bad they can't give out a rain check for a future visit...

First world problems.

tods27 Aug 10, 2012 10:36 am

Originally Posted by TA (Post 19095950)
What a dilemma -- I finally bit the bullet, booked a return ticket to the US with LH F through FRA, but because of a 55 min connection time in FRA, doubt that I will get to enjoy the FCT. No other connections as attractive.

I suppose that LH F will be consolation enough, but man, what a waste! Too bad they can't give out a rain check for a future visit...

First world problems.

You should be able to use the FCL and then be driven to your FRA-ORD flight. At least you'll have a few minutes there.

nycua1k Aug 10, 2012 10:44 am

Are you sure 55 min will give you enough time to connect? I was trying to book mine back to the U.S. with a connection in FRA, and was offered a 55 min connect time as well. Transited through FRA before in C and Y and generally will take a while to clear through security and passport control, especially if you have to go through security again for U.S. bound flights. Since you're trying in F, I heard but can't confirm that LH may have an agent greet you at the arriving gate if your connection time is tight. I don't think you'll be able (or should even try) to hit FCL. If you miss your connection, I hope LH will be generous and understanding with your rebooking.

chinatraderjmr Aug 10, 2012 10:47 am

Originally Posted by nycua1k (Post 19096104)
Are you sure 55 min will give you enough time to connect? I was trying to book mine back to the U.S. with a connection in FRA, and was offered a 55 min connect time as well. Transited through FRA before in C and Y and generally will take a while to clear through security and passport control, especially if you have to go through security again for U.S. bound flights. Since you're trying in F, I heard but can't confirm that LH may have an agent greet you at the arriving gate if your connection time is tight. I don't think you'll be able (or should even try) to hit FCL. If you miss your connection, I hope LH will be generous and understanding with your rebooking.

If you arrive in a flight from Europe at A and depart for the US from Z, you don't need to go thru security at all

tods27 Aug 10, 2012 10:50 am

Originally Posted by nycua1k (Post 19096104)

Well, as long as they are still doing the secondary screening for the US at the FCL and driving you to your flight, you still might be able to duck into the FCL. It really depends on what gate the OPs connection arrives at.

I do agree that a 55 min connection at FRA is pushing it, but I have done it in the past.

Thunderroad Aug 10, 2012 10:51 am

FRA is very big and can be quite confusing. If you don't know the airport well, try to find out from LH or here on FT exactly where you need to go and what you need to do upon arrival. Perhaps, as noted above, someone from LH will meet you upon arrival, but don't rely on only that.

TA Aug 10, 2012 10:52 am

Ah, I didn't even think of the transfer benefit!

I'm arriving from Africa, and straight onto LH to ORD. So if that helps me avoid Schengen lines, then maybe I'm good in terms of time?

I wonder if they will meet me at the incoming flight...

tods27 Aug 10, 2012 10:58 am

Originally Posted by TA (Post 19096143)

I'm arriving from Africa, and straight onto LH to ORD. So if that helps me avoid Schengen lines, then maybe I'm good in terms of time?

You might want to ask over at the LH board. I seem to remember that they were only meeting HONs who were in F on inbound.

malgudi Aug 10, 2012 11:01 am

Originally Posted by TA (Post 19095950)

First world problems.

With a 55 min transit, you might end up actually spending time in the FCT :D

Marin 1K Aug 10, 2012 11:51 am

Originally Posted by tods27 (Post 19096179)
You might want to ask over at the LH board. I seem to remember that they were only meeting HONs who were in F on inbound.

You should go to the FCL in B, you almost certainly won't really have enough time to get out of T1 and walk to the FCT. They will drive you to the flight from there. The FCL is nearly identical to the FCT. If they do meet you at the plane, they will not drive you to the FCL, only to T1 B concourse.

Rambuster Aug 10, 2012 2:09 pm

55mins is a challenge...

chinatraderjmr Aug 10, 2012 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by TA (Post 19096143)

If your arriving from Africa you must go thru security for sure. If you arrive on LH from JNB, you arrive at C and that's a loooong walk to the IFCL at B. if your arriving from anywhere else in Africa, you probably arrive at B, go thru security and right down to the IFCL at B (that's doable but tight). 55 min is gonna be tough in any class

TA Aug 10, 2012 7:44 pm

Just a followup, since I read the "LH screwed me" thread.

If I miss the connection in FRA, am I going to have ticket problems? Does LH still try to automatically put me on the next F flight, or reading that thread there is a mention that if you miss the flight regardless of fault, you have to rebook? This is a UA award ticket, in LH F (O class)

If the policies on LH are any bit unfavorable, I should book to a different connection while I can do it without any fees before the itinerary starts, I guess.

Thanks!

chinatraderjmr Aug 11, 2012 5:11 am

Originally Posted by TA (Post 19098794)
Just a followup, since I read the "LH screwed me" thread.

If I miss the connection in FRA, am I going to have ticket problems? Does LH still try to automatically put me on the next F flight, or reading that thread there is a mention that if you miss the flight regardless of fault, you have to rebook? This is a UA award ticket, in LH F (O class)

If the policies on LH are any bit unfavorable, I should book to a different connection while I can do it without any fees before the itinerary starts, I guess.

Thanks!

I would rebook only cuz I don't think you'll make it & why sweat. But LH is good about putting you on another flight. If your tkts in O, you will be reacommodated in First on the next LH flight unless there just are no more seats (unlikely to happen, F is rarely full)

Egor Aug 11, 2012 9:59 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr (Post 19100201)
I would rebook only cuz I don't think you'll make it & why sweat. But LH is good about putting you on another flight. If your tkts in O, you will be reacommodated in First on the next LH flight unless there just are no more seats (unlikely to happen, F is rarely full)

But that next flight may be UA...