Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FRA-TLV going from L/H to S/H - How do you feel about it? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Out of interest, are SEN/HON able to allocate themselves seats in the F cabin on the LX A330 flights to TLV? With C service obviously.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by vantage03
Out of interest, are SEN/HON able to allocate themselves seats in the F cabin on the LX A330 flights to TLV? With C service obviously.
HON's not SEN's
Old May 4, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by vantage03
HON and connecting F pax, if seats are still available after those who took the 300$ (IIRC) upgrade offer got theirs.

Seats are allocated at boarding only with the famous beep from the machine.

See here:https://www.swiss.com/israel/en/firs...s-seating.html

Last edited by MichielR; May 4, 2017 at 2:13 pm Reason: Added link
Old May 4, 2017, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Flying a half empty A330 into TLV just to make a few customers happy? Compete with insane C prices of TK? They stopped that in CAI too and no reason to bring it back to TLV. Everybody is free to use LX and the revenue goes into the same pocket. If TLC would not be a source for long haul customers I would expect such route to be covered by EW.
Let's try to stick to facts. LH was not flying "half empty" A330 to TLV. One can debate the economics from LH's perspective of using wide-body v. narrow-body jets on this route -- although, let's be real, no one here has real data on this so it's a futile exercise -- but the flights on this route to TLV have been for decades (yes decades--I've been on it since the '80), and are, packed. In any case, I would imagine, that LH as a serious business made a business decision that it make sense for it to make this change.

Does the decision to downgrade the equipment matter (especially as it relates to the premium cabin) on an individual level? Each person will have his or her own view and it's not a question of right or wrong but personal preferences and circumstances.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
If I need to fly to Frankfurt 16 times a year I would not even dream about going via Mufti Erdogan's country or even worse LHR. If I need to go to LHR or IST, this will be different. I avoid changing planes on such short hops if even possible.
I didn't say I fly to FRA 16 times a year - just to Europe and points west. Usually London, Milan, NYC, SFO, DUS and CGN. LH typically isn't competitive on those routes and I'm guessing it's because of limited capacity from TLV-FRA. Historically I flew LH a lot more when they were flying A340-600s and 747-400s to TLV. I don't mind paying a premium for good service/hard product, but not 2x. LH isn't even competitive price wise. Same reason I fly Easyjet to London - it usually costs less than half than LY or BA for a similar coach experience.
Old May 5, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: LH SEN for Life
Flying a half empty A330 into TLV just to make a few customers happy? Compete with insane C prices of TK? They stopped that in CAI too and no reason to bring it back to TLV. Everybody is free to use LX and the revenue goes into the same pocket. If TLC would not be a source for long haul customers I would expect such route to be covered by EW.

I don't fly these days as much as I used to.
Never as much as you....

However I seem to remember the LH 747 in the afternoon and the A330/340 in the morning having pretty full loads.

The business cabin was almost always full which I don't see on the s/h planes
Old May 5, 2017, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
What A330 is half empty? LX's or LH's used to be? Because I don't remember seeing half empty LH planes,back when it was an A340 and 744
Old May 5, 2017, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MichielR
HON and connecting F pax, if seats are still available after those who took the 300$ (IIRC) upgrade offer got theirs.

Seats are allocated at boarding only with the famous beep from the machine.

See here:https://www.swiss.com/israel/en/firs...s-seating.html
LX F though. I connected UA F to LX and was NOT allowed a seat in the F cabin. On multiple occasions. (I'm also not a HON. UA *G.)
Old May 6, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by joshwex90
What A330 is half empty? LX's or LH's used to be? Because I don't remember seeing half empty LH planes,back when it was an A340 and 744
LH was not empty. I even got OpUps as a non status member because of overbooking
Old May 6, 2017, 4:36 am

Unfortunately these flights are pretty full so no incentive for LH to change anything.
Old May 6, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtbe
Unfortunately these flights are pretty full so no incentive for LH to change anything.
That doesn't make sense, because if the flights are full, and LX on A330 is full, and the previous widebody LH flights were full, that would mean there should be incentive to change back to the larger planes
Old May 6, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I would not voluntarily do it again via FRA.

Thank goodness we now have great options from North America. perhaps, old UA which didn't serve TLV but passed lots of pax across FRA helped a lot with the premium loads FRA-TLV but with CO, now they fly via EWR and even more recentlySFO. And I expect that TK has hurt a lot of the premium connections with their bargain basement J pricing for those who want to support the New Ottoman Empire.

My best airplane meal ever was LH F TLV-FRA a few years ago, it was awesome. Its so sad what has become of it.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy
I would not voluntarily do it again via FRA.

Thank goodness we now have great options from North America. perhaps, old UA which didn't serve TLV but passed lots of pax across FRA helped a lot with the premium loads FRA-TLV but with CO, now they fly via EWR and even more recentlySFO. And I expect that TK has hurt a lot of the premium connections with their bargain basement J pricing for those who want to support the New Ottoman Empire.

My best airplane meal ever was LH F TLV-FRA a few years ago, it was awesome. Its so sad what has become of it.
I had an incredible meal in LH C TLV-FRA. Sadly, or not sadly, I haven't flown LH since the switch. If not flying to Germany, I have plenty of other options. And when flying to Germany, I've flown U2 and LY when going direct.
Old May 7, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Does anyone know if LH overnights crew in TLV? I know after the 2014 war some airlines changed their schedules so no crew would ever have to overnight here and wondering if this has something to do with it.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:04 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH changed to A321 in 2012, basically because their B744 and A330 have better routes to serve. If it would have hurt their business so badly, one would think there was a point in the past 5 years they would have changed it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.