Wiki Posts
Search

Intra-EU widebody routes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH, NH, AF/KL, BA, PC, HH, SPG
Intra-EU widebody routes

Is there any way to check where inside Europe LH/LX fly widebodies, other than going through flight by flight on their timetable?

I generally prefer the widebodies applied even to short routes (like in Asia) and if this is available I will choose my routing as such.

Don’t know why but I just feel better aboard a widebody...
Any comments welcome.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by westincafe
Is there any way to check where inside Europe LH/LX fly widebodies, other than going through flight by flight on their timetable?

I generally prefer the widebodies applied even to short routes (like in Asia) and if this is available I will choose my routing as such.

Don’t know why but I just feel better aboard a widebody...
Any comments welcome.
Widebody of course is usually more comfortable.

Unfortuantely, I think the use of widebody intra-europe is not very common at the moment- there are not any routes I can think of where this is consistent within Europe on Lufthansa or Swiss.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Well, define Europe . Only scheduled widebody service in 'greater' Europe is TLV, the rest is 'served' with a mix of A321/20/19 and narrower narrowbodies. Sometimes there is a repositioning of aircraft between FRA/MUC/DUS, transfer to HAM for service or opening of a new airport with an A380 service (June 3 in BER), but nothing sheduled in advance. Last summer LH flew 744s on domestic routes for some reason, the major tradeshows get a widebody sometimes (FRA-HAJ/Cebit ZRH-DUS/Boot).

So better get used to flying narrowbodies
Old Mar 7, 2012, 4:47 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Well, define Europe . Only scheduled widebody service in 'greater' Europe is TLV, the rest is 'served' with a mix of A321/20/19 and narrower narrowbodies. Sometimes there is a repositioning of aircraft between FRA/MUC/DUS, transfer to HAM for service or opening of a new airport with an A380 service (June 3 in BER), but nothing sheduled in advance. Last summer LH flew 744s on domestic routes for some reason, the major tradeshows get a widebody sometimes (FRA-HAJ/Cebit ZRH-DUS/Boot).

So better get used to flying narrowbodies
If you believe the Eurovision song contest, then Baku is Europe. It usually gets A330s or A340s from FRA.

LX sometimes subs in A330s on short, popular routes (like ZRH-FRA-ZRH, ZRH-LHR-ZRH or ZRH-MUC-ZRH) in cases of heavy demand or maintenance issues with scheduled aircraft.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH, NH, AF/KL, BA, PC, HH, SPG
I recently (couple of months back) got an A330 for LX786 ZRH-BRU, but I guess this was a one off only. There was a large travel group on that plane and it is my guess thats why they upgraded it (they might have had their resa long time ago).

In the old Swissair days, there was a regular MD11 service ZRH-LHR (the redeye which is now LX316). This was at least a good way for using C-upgrades as it got you into a longhaul C seat (which was very nice). That's all gone now... (I took that service a couple of times and to my memory it was always full).

So then I better get used to narrowbodies now....

I'am spoilt by the Japan domestic flights where even 1 hour shorthauls are regularly operated by B777 or B74. And now also the B787 is in service domstically! Only very minor airports are served by a narrowbody.
But Japan and Europe are different I know...
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by westincafe
I'am spoilt by the Japan domestic flights where even 1 hour shorthauls are regularly operated by B777 or B74. And now also the B787 is in service domstically! Only very minor airports are served by a narrowbody.
But Japan and Europe are different I know...
It really IS a matter of different perceptions... For me, the super high density of Japanese 744s and 777s (10 abreast in a 777...) is absolute hell. And JAL Business domestic class, "J Seat" which essentially is normal spaced economy with a cookie, isn't much better (admittedly, is sells fo only $ 10 more). I will take European narrow bodies any time.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver
Oh how I miss the A300/310 fleet. We used to get them down in Malta in summer. Actually LH still owns a few of them, although they're on long term lease to Air Transat. The 787-3 would have been a perfect replacement for them but too bad that's been cancelled.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 2:24 am

Programs: LH SEN, TK Elite, FB Silver
There are some intraeuropean flights op by widebodies, but none of them are op by LH/LX

- There is a daily flight MUC-MAN-MUN op by SQ 77W
- There are two weekly flights MUC-ATH op by Air China on the A330 op on Saturday and Wedneyday
- Occasionally TK sends the A330/340 to Europe but I couldn't figure out a pattern
- Plus I've once seen a flight (IST-ATH) op by SQ on the 772 (not sure about that one though - correct me if I'm wrong)
Old Mar 10, 2012, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
It really IS a matter of different perceptions... For me, the super high density of Japanese 744s and 777s (10 abreast in a 777...) is absolute hell. And JAL Business domestic class, "J Seat" which essentially is normal spaced economy with a cookie, isn't much better (admittedly, is sells fo only $ 10 more). I will take European narrow bodies any time.
2 weeks ago I flew economy CAN-PEK on the new CZ A388 and it was very comfortable even in economy. Usually a wide body is more comfortable. The real problem however is the new NEK which is the most uncomfortable seat I have flown- and I end up feeling taken advantage of when I pay business class fares and get a seat worse than Air Berlin.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 3:54 am

Programs: LH SEN, TK Elite, FB Silver
That's why I prefer the Canadair Jets... They still have the old seat!
Such a huge difference in comfort...
Old Mar 10, 2012, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by LH600
That's why I prefer the Canadair Jets... They still have the old seat!
Such a huge difference in comfort...
They will be enhanced soon with NEK too.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:58 pm

I think Turkish operates IST-LHR with a widebody and British Airways operates LHR-DME with a boeing 767.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: LH M&M Silver, BA EC, AF FB
LAN Chile operates an A340 on FRA-MAD vv daily (it then continues on to SCL).
Old Mar 10, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I've also recently seen Boeing 767 on BA's evening flight from ARN to LHR.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 4:42 pm

BA still operates a couple of 767 within Europe (all Economy seating with mobile divider between C and Y - no longhaul seating). I´ve flown them on FRA-LHR and LHR-ATH. People at the BA forum should know better about the routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.