Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading SQ flights with eVoucher or miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
Upgrading SQ flights with eVoucher or miles?

Hi all,

I'm planning to book the SQ327 from MAN to MUC, and since I have a Lufthansa eVoucher (yes, i'm one of those who got matched from Flying Blue... after being matched by Flying blue from BA).

Simple question: Would I need to be booked in a cetain booking class to do this? it displays two prices in Y on singaporeair.com, with the most expensive one bein in B - which is still not too expensive for me to book it anyway. Would i need to look for certain booking classes on the SQ flight to be available?

And, does anyone here have any particular experience upgrading on this route, or on SQ in general?

Thank you
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: LH Senator ★
You can upgrade S,B,Y to business and any business to first.
For MAN-MUC there is not many fares published -- just H & B. You need B then.
However for MUC-MAN there is plenty of fares. Q,W,H,B (you need B again) and D,J,C,F
If you are not flying round trip, maybe you can try buying business and upgrade from that How does F look like on this short flight?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
Well, guess what I found out:

I booked the flight in B (since it wasn't that much more expensive than H), since I needed to fly on that day anyway.

Found out how to use the evoucher, but no result. Tried for a couple of days, still no result. Find out that you need available seats in D to upgrade to. 4 seats (or more) available according to Expertflyer. Good - untill I find out that SQ has blocked upgrading with partner miles (and appearantly LH evouchers) on flights with their new business class..

So if I wanted business, I probably would have been better of booking LH, and upgrading on them - However, the SQ77W was the reason that I'm even flying MAN-MUC, so..
Old Dec 4, 2011, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by martinfoss
Well, guess what I found out:

I booked the flight in B (since it wasn't that much more expensive than H), since I needed to fly on that day anyway.

Found out how to use the evoucher, but no result. Tried for a couple of days, still no result. Find out that you need available seats in D to upgrade to. 4 seats (or more) available according to Expertflyer. Good - untill I find out that SQ has blocked upgrading with partner miles (and appearantly LH evouchers) on flights with their new business class..

So if I wanted business, I probably would have been better of booking LH, and upgrading on them - However, the SQ77W was the reason that I'm even flying MAN-MUC, so..
Flying SQ Y on this route is better than LH C with NEK cabin !
Old Dec 4, 2011, 6:23 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by martinfoss
The morning and late afternoon LH flights MAN-MUC are operated by bmi for the time being, so you will get better seats and better food than on LH in C.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold
eVoucher can only be used for upgrades on fully integrated Miles& More partners (LH, LX, OS, SN, LO).
On SQ and other *A carriers only miles can be used for an upgrade.

taigatrommel
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by taigatrommel
eVoucher can only be used for upgrades on fully integrated Miles& More partners (LH, LX, OS, SN, LO).
Untrue. See http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...d=2011776&l=en

Adria Airways, Air Dolomiti, the Austrian Airlines Group, Croatia Airlines, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Lufthansa Regional, SWISS, All Nippon Airlines, Singapore Airlines and United.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by taigatrommel

taigatrommel
Actually using eVouchers on SQ can be the best use there is - provided you can find availability in their F cabin.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 3:08 pm
DUS

Programs: LH HON, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Actually using eVouchers on SQ can be the best use there is - provided you can find availability in their F cabin.
Have you been ever lucky enough to find availability on SQ for their F cabin?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DUS
Have you been ever lucky enough to find availability on SQ for their F cabin?
Yes, on the 747.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, on the 747.
I have also redeemed evouchers twice D>F twice on SQ metal FRA/SIN (interestingly I have never been able to find it available SIN/FRA).
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:24 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold
Ups - I was not aware, that eVouchers are working meanwhile on SQ, NH and UA!

Sorry for my misleading information.

Regards,

taigatrommel
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Yes, on the 747.
A little bird told me that SQ will start releasing First Class awards from some point in 2012 to its partners again.

After the 747 will be gone early 2012, there would be no long-haul option to redeem First Class at all.

This new policy might be limited to 77W only but it will increase the value of LH eVoucher which might be of less use on LH once Z class is no longer upgradeable with them...
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
I have a related question.

I'm thinking of upgrading Y->C on my upcoming SQ25 JFK-FRA on 388 using two eVouchers (which I got when I made SEN for once a few years back) now that they will eventually expire. I'm now in H fare but happy to upfare to B if I can upgrade.

OP mentioned that D should be available, which is the case with my flight, but also said that they block upgrades to new business class using partner miles or instruments, so I guess I'm out of luck. Can someone confirm this? They do seem to release C awards on some dates according to KVS.

Thanks for help!

MtRoot
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH has a decent deal with SQ and C award inventory (even on 77W and A380s) is available to M&M members, especially shortly before departure when SQ realises its not going to sell C seats. I would call M&M periodically and ask if anything opens up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.