Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shame on LH for exploiting passengers fleeing Japan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 6:45 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Originally Posted by moeve
I don't have any figures at this time but they did say their flights were VERY expensive. Way above what they normally pay even if it they sometimes book late.

These are terrible times for many in Japan - not only foreigners and many - even Japanese are going for safety. Still I find it terrible to use this situtation to better ones bottom line.

There is no better way to make customers loyal and want to come back than those who feel they are being helped in a bad situtation. Taking advantage of the situtation and taking top Euro doesn't do that. i think that is what those affected by this are "feeling." I hope that makes sense?
+1. Yet, I fail to understand how your last two statements link with the original post of this thread, in which LH was depicted as the money-maker from everyone trying to flee Japan.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I beg your pardon - go READ the 2nd or 3rd sentence of the opening post and you will SEE that I did indeed say that "IF it was true!!!"

By the way as far as I know LH is currently not even flying to NRT at this point but instead have increased their capacity to Osaka and Nagoya.
Pardon is not granted. I referred to your headline - and your headline was Bild-Zeitung like. Hashing for clicks and longing for attention.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Pardon is not granted. I referred to your headline - and your headline was Bild-Zeitung like. Hashing for clicks and longing for attention.
^
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
+1
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Sorry but it wouldn't let me add any more - title may only be so many charaters.

I have to admit though I was rather upset at the time of the first post because just try to put yourself into that position. You have just survived an earthquake and the huge Tsunami and now you have a nuclear disaster waiting to happen and all you want is get you and your family to safety. You contact the airline you normally fly and trust on the "move" and they quote you the price of a new midsize car to basically evacuate your small family for flights you would normally pay around 3 to 4.000 Euros for. It does leave a very bad taste indeed.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:58 am

I don't have any figures at this time but they did say their flights were VERY expensive. Way above what they normally pay even if it they sometimes book late.

These are terrible times for many in Japan - not only foreigners and many - even Japanese are going for safety. Still I find it terrible to use this situtation to better ones bottom line.

There is no better way to make customers loyal and want to come back than those who feel they are being helped in a bad situtation. Taking advantage of the situtation and taking top Euro doesn't do that. i think that is what those affected by this are "feeling." I hope that makes sense?
From my understanding LH has not laoded new fares into the system - but it is merely a Q on which fare basis is available - and right now demand outperforms supply - hence the lower booking classes will not be available - which leads to much higher pricing - pretty much the same scenario when needing to go anywhere during "peak" demand on a very short notice. And this is often the case even in "normal" times...

Often the case en route to PVG - a seat neigbour who needed to cross some t`s and dot some i`s at very short notice and the only fare class available is F and thus a tix north of € 9 - 10 K.
Cheers

Thomas
Old Mar 17, 2011, 9:20 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Sorry but it wouldn't let me add any more - title may only be so many charaters.
You can always ask the Moderators to change the thread title if you so wish.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
LH rebuttal of OPs claim

http://newsroom.lufthansa.com/news/l...ate=2011-03-17

"Lufthansa would like to emphasize that there have been no changes in ticket pricing at all. All prices remain at the same level as before the earthquake"
Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:58 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by Circumknowitall
LH rebuttal of OPs claim

"Lufthansa would like to emphasize that there have been no changes in ticket pricing at all. All prices remain at the same level as before the earthquake"
And it goes on to announce a special oneway fare from 18 March onwards – from 668€ (at today’s exchange rate) from Nagoya and Osaka to Frankfurt/Munich (and other destinations in Europe). However, many of the flights are well booked and they may not be able to offer this new special fare on all flights.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
My opinion is that LH created its own PR nightmare that demanded this pathetic attempt of a press release to clean it up.
When I say pathetic, go read the 3 questions and tell me which one starts with a proper categorical yes/no reply.

LH is not a charity and I won't be the one insisting for them to be but in the first week they did not change anything for anybody.

Of course with demand increasing and LH letting the regular revenue management fly, so to speak, it was obvious, only full fares or close to that Y, C and F's would be available.
And one way being the usual nonsense.
They did not make any waivers for rebookings on returns, like I've posted on the first page.
So they get caught in their usual revenue management at a time people were sensitive about the need of seeing heros, solidarity and a helping story. LH offered none.

[QUOTE=Circumknowitall;16053681] LH rebuttal of OPs claim

[QUOTE]

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
And it goes on to announce a special oneway fare from 18 March onwards – from 668€ (at today’s exchange rate) from Nagoya and Osaka to Frankfurt/Munich (and other destinations in Europe). However, many of the flights are well booked and they may not be able to offer this new special fare on all flights.
It's so easy to tell when LH screws up.
It's when they rush to implement something AF did 3 days ago

GBM

Last edited by GBM.flights; Mar 17, 2011 at 6:58 pm Reason: trying to fix the quote. I give up.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 6:10 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
horrible situation

@ op

sorry but you are in [.], let me tell you why i think you are an [.]

well i dont care if anybody paid 500Euro or 7000euro for a oneway in economy. everybody who has been flown out and was able to get a seat should be happy they are not dead.

15.000 people might be dead, people right now are dying in different areas, as the food and medical supply is not sufficient. (yes i am sure you didnt knew that, as this is not communicated in the news)

the earthquake has been fatal, this earthquake (9.0) combined with that kind of tsunami will only come to japan every 1000 years.

i have flown out a lot people out of japan. most people i have booked on LH and NH. i havent slept the weekend after the tsunami hit japan and the reactor problems in fukushima went public on TV.

i have booked people onto LH for return flights in economy for 144.700 yen each (so LH did offer cheap flights until a certain tipping point)

i was able to rebook 8 us airways tickets in Y/C/F . thank you to the extremly helpful US Airways german hotline. us airways miles were cheap, and yet they did respond the best way they could, they even called ANA and got more C award seats released, as the could see c seats were on sale.

HON line warned me, that LH is going to 0 all eco flights, as they have to rebook passengers who held tickets. and yes, i know exactly the moment the tickets have been zeroed, as i was just ticketing one more ticket and the clock changed to 10am in japan and the agent on the phone told me, that the availbility just went away.

i take it as a personal offense, that people like you, who have done nothing to help other people run around and start stupid threads.

i know of many other FT people, who have family and friends in japan, and i worked with some of them sharing information on flights etc. and transportation information to ensure, that we got out as many people out of japan as possible.

i think your " i heard that LH is so evil" thread is out of line, its just total ........, LH has an automated system, and most of the expats get the flights paid by their companies, so it doesnt matter if the flight costs 200euro or 10000euro.

btw. the narita express is not running today. so everybody going to the airport should take other transportation.

dp

Last edited by oliver2002; Mar 18, 2011 at 2:33 am Reason: redacted [] to remove name calling
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by derpelikan
vent
^
Old Mar 18, 2011, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by GBM.flights
When I say pathetic, go read the 3 questions and tell me which one starts with a proper categorical yes/no reply.
To whom are you addressing this question? Shouldn't you be asking LH? Some people simply post here what LH has posted on their website for easy reference but we are certainly not responsible for the content.

LH is not a charity and I won't be the one insisting for them to be but in the first week they did not change anything for anybody.
I have no way of knowing whether anyone had their booking changed during the first week (which has only just ended btw) but LH announced rebooking arrangements on 12th (if not on 11th) as you will see in this thread. The announcement first appeared on LH's Japanese website before it appeared on their German and other countries' websites. I did not quote the initial announcement in full, but for a revised version which appeared the following day and later versions I tried to quote the entire announcement to avoid any misrepresentation. As far as I could see there were arrangements in place for rebooking as early as 12th and arrangements for refunds on 13th.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:33 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
To whom are you addressing this question? Shouldn't you be asking LH? Some people simply post here what LH has posted on their website for easy reference but we are certainly not responsible for the content.

I have no way of knowing whether anyone had their booking changed during the first week (which has only just ended btw) but LH announced rebooking arrangements on 12th (if not on 11th) as you will see in this thread. The announcement first appeared on LH's Japanese website before it appeared on their German and other countries' websites. I did not quote the initial announcement in full, but for a revised version which appeared the following day and later versions I tried to quote the entire announcement to avoid any misrepresentation. As far as I could see there were arrangements in place for rebooking as early as 12th and arrangements for refunds on 13th.
+1.

LH responded to the situation as it was developing. They did offer either rebooking or refund (unlike, BA, for instance, which did not allow refund on non-refundable tickets, offering instead a voucher towards future travel). Seeing that things were getting worse, they allowed rebooking into different booking classes, which gives a passenger even a wider set of option. Furthermore, LH did not cancel its service to Japan, but instead increased availability of segments where more seats were needed by flying a larger aircraft. In my understanding, LH handled this situation pretty professional.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 3:17 am

Programs: VS, LH
Originally Posted By GBM.flights
+1

A colleague flew out of NRT on Sunday, original departure Saturday and was slapped with a re-fare of 3000CHF (within Biz buckets) due to the change, since he could not get to the airport on time (9h from Akasaka to NRT)

I'll repeat it. Extorsion.

GBM
9 hours from Akasaka on the Sunday? Was he walking?

Last edited by Andy1234; Mar 18, 2011 at 3:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.