Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Miles and More Forum Biergarten Thread — Everybody is Welcome

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Jan Koum, aka jkb76, founder of WhatsApp posted on FT from onboard LH455 on Thursday night on his way to Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. He said the deal with Facebook had to be concluded on Wednesday because he had an M&M award ticket which was not easily refundable or possible to change. Perhaps he wanted to avoid paying €50 change fees?
I wonder if the story is a testament to the tight-fistedness of WhatsApp, the inflexibility of M&M award tickets, or the quirkiness of new founders in the on-line advertising business who believe they are re-inventing communication, but it does make a great anecdote.

(Edit: not knowing any more about the background of the story, I will take it a face value and also give a shout out to those CEOs who set a good example of saving money on their daily work activities and who don't insist on special exceptions to the corporate travel policy for their own needs. When one becomes famous enough that security is a problem, then I understand the need for a special policy, but I have travelled in NEK (and even on U2) with more than a few senior executives who can't justify the cost differential between NEK C and Y.)

Last edited by N1003U; Feb 23, 2014 at 3:15 am
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by N1003U

with more than a few senior executives who can't justify the cost differential between NEK C and Y.)
No way these gentlemen has come to their position through the rank of sales , they must definitely have reached apex through Admin / accounting , or just possibly finance .
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by N1003U
I wonder if the story is a testament to the tight-fistedness of WhatsApp, the inflexibility of M&M award tickets, or the quirkiness of new founders in the on-line advertising business who believe they are re-inventing communication, but it does make a great anecdote.

(Edit: not knowing any more about the background of the story, I will take it a face value and also give a shout out to those CEOs who set a good example of saving money on their daily work activities and who don't insist on special exceptions to the corporate travel policy for their own needs. When one becomes famous enough that security is a problem, then I understand the need for a special policy, but I have travelled in NEK (and even on U2) with more than a few senior executives who can't justify the cost differential between NEK C and Y.)
It is easier to get $19bn off Zuckerberg than to get award availability from M&M !
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Rambuster
It is easier to get $19bn off Zuckerberg than to get award availability from M&M !
Thanks for the big laugh. Perhaps not so far from the truth...

(though I have to admit I have never met Mr. Zuckerberg, so I don't know how hard it is to sell him on something...)
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by seat 1a
No way these gentlemen has come to their position through the rank of sales , they must definitely have reached apex through Admin / accounting , or just possibly finance .
Good guess. A few are finance types, and some are (current or former) technical geeks...
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Lo and behold, quote of the year! ^
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: LH SEN*2
I feel much better in giving my cash to LH for a flight in return, than doing a mix of an unpaid lap dance and a free digital full body scan for Zuckerzwerg, enabling him paying these ridiculous amounts of money for another business hoovering off personal data from around the globe..so better get yourselves "Firefox", "....... Edge", "No Script", delete Javascript and be happy that LH is still there to take your money the "old way"
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
The old way, but with OPC©
Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:46 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Bernie2012
I feel much better in giving my cash to LH for a flight in return, than doing a mix of an unpaid lap dance and a free digital full body scan for Zuckerzwerg, enabling him paying these ridiculous amounts of money for another business hoovering off personal data from around the globe..so better get yourselves "Firefox", "....... Edge", "No Script", delete Javascript and be happy that LH is still there to take your money the "old way"
If Franz et al. ran FaceCrook rather than Zuckerzwerg, they'd find a way to make you pay for the lapdance @:-) !

Say an enhanced security fee.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Slightly O/T? - Does anyone love the Devil here?

... Because according to some people you might be at the top of this unfathomable list of sinners.

Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Phew, good thing I'm authorised.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:32 pm

Ha! I am no muslim and no sports nut ... so I should be safe ....
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by weero
Ha! I am no muslim and no sports nut ... so I should be safe ....
I don't think hell is all that bad: At least that's where all the drunks and hookers go !
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:32 pm

I don't think hell is all that bad: At least that's where all the drunks and hookers go !
Yes but also all other religious nutjobs and feminists ...
Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have the adulterers as well so there should be something to do with your spare time. Next thing you know they will be adding "Y class flyers".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.