FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Volcanic ash cloud impacts LH flight operations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1074685-volcanic-ash-cloud-impacts-lh-flight-operations.html)

totti Apr 16, 2010 2:14 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 13781891)
Just take the train... 18h of joy. And so that you don't fall asleep, a ton of changes are required :p

It's much faster to drive to Marseille (~2h from Nice), catch a train to Paris (~3h), get on the train to FRA (~4h) or STR (~3.5h) and than on to MUC. On could arrive in MUC ~10-11pm tonight. :eek: Still a pain...

Rambuster Apr 16, 2010 2:16 am

Originally Posted by moebod (Post 13781907)
Hi all

Sorry, but I could not find the answer online.

Until when is the closure in Frankfurt airport?

I have a flight tomorrow to Dubai from Zrh through Fra, should that be fine again?

Thanks

There is no answer so far....

totti Apr 16, 2010 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster (Post 13781915)
There is no answer so far....

From what I understand they did not shut down the airport but went for a procedure called "Nullsteuerung" according to "Der Spiegel". This will allow the airport authority to start service faster again.

oliver2002 Apr 16, 2010 2:44 am

Originally Posted by totti (Post 13781913)
It's much faster to drive to Marseille (~2h from Nice), catch a train to Paris (~3h), get on the train to FRA (~4h) or STR (~3.5h) and than on to MUC. On could arrive in MUC ~10-11pm tonight. :eek: Still a pain...

I was just joking. Driving straight to Germany is about 10-8h depending where you are headed and how much respect you have for french speed traps.

chrissxb Apr 16, 2010 2:46 am

btw: french rail is on strike. so there are not many options. :(

mamb0 Apr 16, 2010 2:48 am

Hmm.
When I was IDB'ed yesterday on LH4157 and talking to the helpful station manager, I respectfully declined the offer on being put on the early flight. Because everything until LH 4155 was overbooked and because of my status he would have IDB'ed another fellow pax for me.
Standing next to a crying woman who just got IDB'ed, too (ok she was a btad mental, could have been a nice thread starter / one time poster here) I did not want to inflict that experience upon anyone in that moment just because of me and my entitlement. What would Kharma have in store for me, if I would have been ruthless?, I was reasoning..

Well, right now I would say My name is not Earl.

mamb0 Apr 16, 2010 2:55 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 13781969)
I was just joking. Driving straight to Germany is about 10-8h depending where you are headed and how much respect you have for french speed traps.

Oh really? I just paid the ticket for your suggested routing!
Thanks for that.. :p

I have a rental car reserved and in 5mins LH station management NCE will tell me, what to do.

sandeepn Apr 16, 2010 3:30 am

Stuck in Germany

Have been trying to get back to the US. Looks like the MUC, FCO, MXP and ZRH flights have all been zerod out for tomorrow. Are those airports going to get closed as well?

Rambuster Apr 16, 2010 3:49 am

Originally Posted by sandeepn (Post 13782055)
Have been trying to get back to the US. Looks like the MUC, FCO, MXP and ZRH flights have all been zerod out for tomorrow. Are those airports going to get closed as well?

Not yet, but the airlines are in a huge repositioning mess of aircraft and crews too !
This will take quite some time to sort out I fear.

servus Apr 16, 2010 4:00 am

deleted

mamb0 Apr 16, 2010 4:07 am

Originally Posted by servus (Post 13782129)
Hi fellow FTers !

I'm based in FRA and happy to offer any kind of help to anybody here on FT. As you all know, FRA is closed, as every other airport in Germany except MUC. No info on how long the FRA-closure will last. LH just announced that there will no LH flights leaving FRA until at least 04/16/10 - 08:00 pm.

If you are in need of a "cheap" hotel in FRA, or any suggestion what to do meanwhile, or look for alternative travel suggestions feel free to PM me. I'll do my very best to help you out. The airport is already crowded with 1000s of people sleeping on camp beds. No fun place to spend several hours / days :td:

Great spirit! Kudos to you!

tcswede Apr 16, 2010 4:12 am

Michelle,
does LH have any responsibility towards the pax that are stranded ?

In HKG I was told bluntly NO despite they said that they can only accomodate me again on the 19th ?

(we have gone a few rounds since - but that is where the DM left me initially...)

Cheers

Thomas

AlicorporateUK Apr 16, 2010 4:40 am

Hello guys
As I assume many of you, I have been affected by the recent events. Unfortunately I could not get through the LH call centre in Britain and therefore I have cancelled my ticket on-line. A confirmation was displayed saying "Your refund cannot be displayed as it will be calculated manually". I have heard somebody saying that the system will only refund taxes minus administration fees. Any idea? I assume that, if it is going to be calculated manually, they will clearly see that my flight had been cancelled due to the recent disruption.
Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
With thanks in advance,
G

Football Fan Apr 16, 2010 5:06 am

Do you guys think that until April 20 in the morning, flights will be back to normal?

rafgva Apr 16, 2010 5:25 am

Originally Posted by totti (Post 13781913)

if the train is not on strike ;)