Consolidated "Getting to/from LAX" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Getting to/from LAX" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Not sure who your question is directed to?
TrishBOS, what exactly are you saying? Take the Hilton Garden Inn shuttle to the Hilton Garden Inn, and then walk to a neighboring station? Is there a station next to the Hilton Garden Inn?

If there is, that seems to be a misuse of the Hilton Garden Inn's shuttle, and I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate that. Usually shuttle buses confirm that you have a reservation before they take you, unless you express an interest in walking in and staying there.

I don't think anyone said that the LAX shuttle to Aviation station is inconvenient. What's inconvenient is L.A.'s public transportation system in general--especially its train component. So, no matter how you get to the Green Line, it won't take you most places you want to go, including Burbank's TV studios (though the new Red Line extension does go pretty close to Universal Studios, I think), Griffith Observatory, the Getty Center, the Reagan and Nixon museums, Knott's Berry Farm, and a plethora of other L.A. sights.

I don't know much about L.A.'s bus systems, since buses don't interest me nearly as much as trains. I take L.A.'s train system on occasion because I like trains, but if I want to actually go anywhere, it's far more convenient to just rent a car.

San Diego, on the other hand, as chicaloca453 said, is very doable without a car--I think you can get pretty much everywhere except for Sea World, Point Loma, and the San Diego Zoo Adventure Park without a car (if you're willing to walk a bit). You can even go to the Mexican border via the trolley and walk across.

And I may be wrong--you might be able to get to the three above places via a shuttle bus or something.

IceTrojan: Everyone told me I'd be shocked at how small Boston was. Looking at maps, it really looks quite large. But even with the forewarnings, I was still shocked at how small the core of Boston really is. I walked from the Park Street Church to the Bunker Hill monument in just about an hour--and that was stopping for pictures and Dunkin' Donuts (which is an East Coast thing, I guess, even though they're not that great).

And we drove up to Maine in just over an hour and a half. That's less than the drive from my grandpa's house in Simi Valley (all right, that's really 10 minutes outside of L.A.) to Disneyland.

mlshanks nailed it on the head. In a place like L.A., the only people who are going to use the train system (Metrolink and the Metro) are park-and-riders who won't need to use their cars for anything between work and home. And given the lack of a hub or "CBD" (or really multiple good-sized hubs and "CBDs"), park-and-riding really isn't a solution for most of the population, since most can't ride where they need to go.

So, as much as I love trains, I can't really foresee much more significant and useful expansion in L.A. But they're certainly fun to ride--again, my favorite so far is the gorgeous winding ride through the Antelope Valley and out onto the high desert.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 2:09 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Originally Posted by jackal
TrishBOS, what exactly are you saying? Take the Hilton Garden Inn shuttle to the Hilton Garden Inn, and then walk to a neighboring station? Is there a station next to the Hilton Garden Inn?

If there is, that seems to be a misuse of the Hilton Garden Inn's shuttle, and I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate that. Usually shuttle buses confirm that you have a reservation before they take you, unless you express an interest in walking in and staying there.
While there is a free city shuttle that goes to the Green Line station at Imperial & La Cienega, the station at Mariposa & Douglas is indeed adjacent to the HGI. And it is a wonderful LAX travel secret that a couple of bucks and a smile will persuade most LAX hotel shuttle bus drivers to take you anywhere you want to go, within reason. You could also go to the HGI for lunch.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 5:48 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I usually do public transit to save on airport parking

I live within walking distance to a bus going close to LAX. If I am going on a long trip, I will leave my car at my finance's house in Long Beach. Public transit will take approx 1.5 hrs each way. To save around $100 in parking costs, I will do that if I take the time to do so. I have to take a G bus at LAX, then the Green Line & then a Long Beach bus. In other countries, I can travel from the airport to the city in much less time.

LA does not have very good public transit. Many other cities have very good transit. (NYC, London, Singapore, etc)
Old Apr 5, 2006, 1:00 pm

Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Does anyone know what a cab fare would be from LAX to N. Highland ave in Hollywood? I just wanted to get an idea of how much

thanks so much!
Old Apr 5, 2006, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'd say probably about $50, including tip.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 3:22 pm

... without traffic.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 9:15 pm

Beverly Hills to Disney Hall - transportation

Hi All,

Will be in LA next month and wanted to take in a concert at the Disney Hall. Work has me at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Don't snicker, but I investigated mass transit and a two-bus itinerary will take 1:53. Other than renting a car, are there any options? shuttle service on concert evenings?

TIA
Old Oct 13, 2006, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Forget taking public transport if this is a weeknight concert. Getting through Hollywood will likely take longer than what the schedule says.

Best option is likely a cab which I'm guessing will be $30-40 each way. Renting a car will prob cost the same (when you count parking charges), if price is an issue, and you will also have to deal with parking.

Not aware of any shuttles or other transport options but doubt that is an option. This is LA after all.

You may want to call the concierge at the hotel in advance and see if there are other options.

Good luck.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
What two-bus routing were you looking at? Metro bus route #2 runs (essentially) on Sunset from the Pacific Ocean to downtown LA - this means that it will stop on Sunset in front of the BHH (at or near the corner of Sunset Blvd. and Beverly Drive), and it will take you to the corner of Grand and Temple, which is just two blocks away from the WDCH (which is at the corner of Grand and 1st Street.

According to the weekday timetable, leaveing Sunset/Beverly at 6:02 pm would get you to your destination just after 7:00 pm (the timetable gives only the mark for the end of the line, so I'm estimating the time for Grand and Temple).

Route 2 Timetable and Map (.pdf file):

http://www.mta.net/images/002-302.pdf

Overall Metro Map (big .pdf file):

http://www.mta.net/images/System_Map.pdf
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by PCTraveler
Best option is likely a cab which I'm guessing will be $30-40 each way. Renting a car will prob cost the same (when you count parking charges), if price is an issue, and you will also have to deal with parking.

You may want to call the concierge at the hotel in advance and see if there are other options.
Figure its between $70 and $100 to take a cab both ways or to arrange for a driver. I am sure the hotel could arrange to get you a cheap rental car for 1 day for less money than that. Check with the concierge.

If they will, my suggestion is to go a little out of the way on the start of your journey and take Olympic Blvd. It will be faster in the long run.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
What two-bus routing were you looking at? Metro bus route #2 runs (essentially) on Sunset from the Pacific Ocean to downtown LA - this means that it will stop on Sunset in front of the BHH (at or near the corner of Sunset Blvd. and Beverly Drive), and it will take you to the corner of Grand and Temple, which is just two blocks away from the WDCH (which is at the corner of Grand and 1st Street. ]
The "trip planner function" actually provides two choices for 1st/Grand Ave. The first one was bus 305 to 550 or 305 to 445. The second is the choice you mentioned. With just one bus, this is potentially do-able. I'll also investigate a cheap rental car option.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 5:09 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Walk down a few blocks to wilshire,take the wilshire express bus to Bh and get off in BH-hail a cab from there.
Or take the metro(station a block from DH)to hollywood and highland and take a cab from there.
Bit of a hassle-but if time is not as much of a strain as is money.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 8:19 am

Programs: SQ *gold / Starwood
If you're set on using public transportation, I would agree with the last post:

Take a cab to the Metro station at Hollywood & Highland (about 5 miles from BH, maybe a $10 cab ride). Then take the Metro red line Downtown to Civic Center station, and walk a few blocks to Disney Hall.

This way you won't be in traffic most of the time. The subway is generally fast and reliable.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 3:59 pm
In memoriam

Yep, if it were me, being cheap and in need of exercise, I would walk down to Wilshire from the hotel, take the bus down Wilshire to the Metro station and then train it to Disney Hall. Cost, around three bucks roundtrip, plus a walk through a beautiful area. BH is very safe to walk around, even at night, unless the BHPD harasses you for being a pedestrian (getting less common). Keep in mind it is not always so easy to hail a cab in the L.A. area. You can certainly get one at the hotel featured in "Pretty Woman" which is on Wilshire (forget the name). Maybe you'll see Julia there.

By the way, if you rent a car, parking in Disney Hall area is around $10, although often you can find street parking for free at night.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Yep, if it were me, being cheap and in need of exercise, I would walk down to Wilshire from the hotel, take the bus down Wilshire to the Metro station and then train it to Disney Hall.
IIRC there is a Wilshire Limited which, as the name implies, stops only at major intersections (including the intersection of Wilshire & Western, where you could switch to the Wilshire spur of the Red Line as biggestbopper suggests - exit the Metro at Civic Center/Tom Bradley Station, then walk two blocks to WDCH).

The only factor here is that it will be commute time, so the busses (especially) and the trains are likely to be crowded.

not always so easy to hail a cab in the L.A. area. You can certainly get one at the hotel featured in "Pretty Woman" which is on Wilshire (forget the name). Maybe you'll see Julia there.
That would be the Beverly Wilshire (now run by Four Seasons).[/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.