Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Old Dec 14, 05, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Ditto what he said - I would add and have the time. While rudimentary and keeping in mind that the Greater Los Angeles Area is substantially larger than some of the cities w/ well-established metro systems, ...
Make that STATES... LA & Orange County alone are 6084 square miles of territory. Connecticut & Rhode Island together are 5888. The city of Los Angeles alone is 470 sq. miles. Contrast that to NYC at 321, San Francisco at 47, and Washington DC at 61 square miles, and yes all of them have "greater metropolitan areas," but consider how spotty the public transit is "out of town." All of urbanized London is 1600, Paris a puny 1051; only the greater Tokyo-Yokahama area is close at 5230 square miles... But it's population is nearly twice that of Los Angeles (30 vs. 17 million).

Traditional urban public transit relies upon high population densities to be frequent and cost effective, yet the historic spread of the communities and lack of real hub for circulation in the greater L.A. area doomed most urban transit plans.
Old Dec 15, 05, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
What I thought interesting was that there were hopes the earthquakes a fews ago would get more people on public transportation, but no such luck. However, higher gas prices earlier this year saw a spike in folk taking public transport. I do know the Red Line gets a lot of usage.

And aren't they extending or creating a line to go through the westside - thought I read about that in the LA Times a month ago.

Not to sidetrack this, but where does one pick up the bus (Big Blue - $1.75 or something) that goes to Santa Monica?

PS - I invariably find those out-of-towners that are condescending about LA's public transport options are usually from those puny places like DC, SF, etc, who truly don't understand the 'size' of LA. Or it's like people call & say I'm coming to "LA" & then you have to gently tell them that yes they're going to be in the Greater Los Angles Area, but they're 65 miles away from where you live...and their hometowns are nowhere near 65miles large...

Cheers.
Old Dec 15, 05, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
What I thought interesting was that there were hopes the earthquakes a fews ago would get more people on public transportation, but no such luck. However, higher gas prices earlier this year saw a spike in folk taking public transport. I do know the Red Line gets a lot of usage.

And aren't they extending or creating a line to go through the westside - thought I read about that in the LA Times a month ago.

Not to sidetrack this, but where does one pick up the bus (Big Blue - $1.75 or something) that goes to Santa Monica?
I *think* you can pick up the Big Blue in the Transportation Center... Lot C?

There have always been talks about the Red Line... I'm sure it'll happen as soon as they put in that Light Rail line going down Exposition

But now there's an Orange Line, which is more of an dedicated express bus route that stops at "stations". It runs into the Valley from the Red Line, so still no Westside connection.

And I agree with your comment about the size of LA and outsiders... they just don't understand The opposite sort of happens to me. I presume any other city is the size of LA, so when I actually get there, I'm like, "that's it?" Imagine my surprise when I actually (and accidentally) walked from one side of Manhattan to the other
Old Dec 17, 05, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Prem, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold
I'd like to interject a few thoughts on LA and mass transit. I agree that the area is very vast and you'd have to know the lay of the land to really utilize the transit system for everything. For instance, I can't imagine how to get to a TV show taping in the valley by bus.

That being said, there are some very feasible options for mass transit. The subways have already been covered here, and they are good for downtown shopping, Hollywood, and Universal. Some things you guys haven't touched on, though:

1. The Big Blue Bus which services West LA is not dirty like the MTA buses are. It is a great way to cover the area around Santa Monica, Venice, UCLA, and the like. Plus, it's really cheap. The last time I was on one, it was 50 cents. That's a bargain.

2. The red express MTA buses are great. You can get on one of those in Beverly Hills and get to Santa Monica Pier in half the time because they make limited stops. They're also very clean, especially in comparison to regular MTA buses.

3. Amtrak operates a shuttle between the Anaheim station and Disneyland. I've never used it, but I was on a train to San Diego with someone who had, and they said it was very efficient.

4. The Amtrak lines up and down the Pacific Coast are awesome. You get amazing views and a far less aggrivating trip than if you took the freeway. It is my favorite way to get between San Diego and Santa Barbara other than flying. And with the fares within So Cal, that is one expensive plane trip. In contrast, Amtrak is something like $20 from SAN to LAX. You just can't beat it.

5. If you REALLY want to get adventurous on trains, try going from SAN to SNA via public transit! You go from a trolley in SAN to a bus to the Oceanliner regional train to another train in Orange County to a bus. I've never done it, but a friend of mine did when we were in college. I was flying as a nonrev (friends with the airline employee), and she'd pricelined a ticket. We stayed in SAN, and she had to fly out of SNA. She wanted to go cheap and wasn't old enough to rent a car. So she set out on that trek. Personally, I'd have taken Amtrak to Irvine or Santa Ana and taken a taxi to the airport. But youth is not always so practical.......

Anyway, just my 2 cents on the whole Southern California tranist situation.

P.S. San Diego has a much better transit system. You can definitely do San Diego without a car. The trolley is just awesome.
Old Feb 28, 06, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
Why not take the Hilton Garden Inn shuttle to the metro station right next door? Is that better/quicker than Aviation station?
Old Mar 1, 06, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Not sure who your question is directed to?
Old Mar 1, 06, 11:12 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Not sure who your question is directed to?
TrishBOS, what exactly are you saying? Take the Hilton Garden Inn shuttle to the Hilton Garden Inn, and then walk to a neighboring station? Is there a station next to the Hilton Garden Inn?

If there is, that seems to be a misuse of the Hilton Garden Inn's shuttle, and I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate that. Usually shuttle buses confirm that you have a reservation before they take you, unless you express an interest in walking in and staying there.

I don't think anyone said that the LAX shuttle to Aviation station is inconvenient. What's inconvenient is L.A.'s public transportation system in general--especially its train component. So, no matter how you get to the Green Line, it won't take you most places you want to go, including Burbank's TV studios (though the new Red Line extension does go pretty close to Universal Studios, I think), Griffith Observatory, the Getty Center, the Reagan and Nixon museums, Knott's Berry Farm, and a plethora of other L.A. sights.

I don't know much about L.A.'s bus systems, since buses don't interest me nearly as much as trains. I take L.A.'s train system on occasion because I like trains, but if I want to actually go anywhere, it's far more convenient to just rent a car.

San Diego, on the other hand, as chicaloca453 said, is very doable without a car--I think you can get pretty much everywhere except for Sea World, Point Loma, and the San Diego Zoo Adventure Park without a car (if you're willing to walk a bit). You can even go to the Mexican border via the trolley and walk across.

And I may be wrong--you might be able to get to the three above places via a shuttle bus or something.

IceTrojan: Everyone told me I'd be shocked at how small Boston was. Looking at maps, it really looks quite large. But even with the forewarnings, I was still shocked at how small the core of Boston really is. I walked from the Park Street Church to the Bunker Hill monument in just about an hour--and that was stopping for pictures and Dunkin' Donuts (which is an East Coast thing, I guess, even though they're not that great).

And we drove up to Maine in just over an hour and a half. That's less than the drive from my grandpa's house in Simi Valley (all right, that's really 10 minutes outside of L.A.) to Disneyland.

mlshanks nailed it on the head. In a place like L.A., the only people who are going to use the train system (Metrolink and the Metro) are park-and-riders who won't need to use their cars for anything between work and home. And given the lack of a hub or "CBD" (or really multiple good-sized hubs and "CBDs"), park-and-riding really isn't a solution for most of the population, since most can't ride where they need to go.

So, as much as I love trains, I can't really foresee much more significant and useful expansion in L.A. But they're certainly fun to ride--again, my favorite so far is the gorgeous winding ride through the Antelope Valley and out onto the high desert.
Old Mar 2, 06, 2:09 am

Programs: Expedia All Your Booking Channels Are Belong To Us Club
Originally Posted by jackal
TrishBOS, what exactly are you saying? Take the Hilton Garden Inn shuttle to the Hilton Garden Inn, and then walk to a neighboring station? Is there a station next to the Hilton Garden Inn?

If there is, that seems to be a misuse of the Hilton Garden Inn's shuttle, and I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate that. Usually shuttle buses confirm that you have a reservation before they take you, unless you express an interest in walking in and staying there.
While there is a free city shuttle that goes to the Green Line station at Imperial & La Cienega, the station at Mariposa & Douglas is indeed adjacent to the HGI. And it is a wonderful LAX travel secret that a couple of bucks and a smile will persuade most LAX hotel shuttle bus drivers to take you anywhere you want to go, within reason. You could also go to the HGI for lunch.
Old Mar 4, 06, 5:48 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I usually do public transit to save on airport parking

I live within walking distance to a bus going close to LAX. If I am going on a long trip, I will leave my car at my finance's house in Long Beach. Public transit will take approx 1.5 hrs each way. To save around $100 in parking costs, I will do that if I take the time to do so. I have to take a G bus at LAX, then the Green Line & then a Long Beach bus. In other countries, I can travel from the airport to the city in much less time.

LA does not have very good public transit. Many other cities have very good transit. (NYC, London, Singapore, etc)
Old Apr 5, 06, 1:00 pm

Does anyone know what a cab fare would be from LAX to N. Highland ave in Hollywood? I just wanted to get an idea of how much

thanks so much!
Old Apr 5, 06, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/spg, M life, and Hertz
I'd say probably about $50, including tip.
Old Apr 7, 06, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, UA, DL, NW, Starwood and Marriott peon
... without traffic.
Old Oct 13, 06, 9:15 pm

Beverly Hills to Disney Hall - transportation

Hi All,

Will be in LA next month and wanted to take in a concert at the Disney Hall. Work has me at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Don't snicker, but I investigated mass transit and a two-bus itinerary will take 1:53. Other than renting a car, are there any options? shuttle service on concert evenings?

TIA
Old Oct 13, 06, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Forget taking public transport if this is a weeknight concert. Getting through Hollywood will likely take longer than what the schedule says.

Best option is likely a cab which I'm guessing will be $30-40 each way. Renting a car will prob cost the same (when you count parking charges), if price is an issue, and you will also have to deal with parking.

Not aware of any shuttles or other transport options but doubt that is an option. This is LA after all.

You may want to call the concierge at the hotel in advance and see if there are other options.

Good luck.
Old Oct 13, 06, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
What two-bus routing were you looking at? Metro bus route #2 runs (essentially) on Sunset from the Pacific Ocean to downtown LA - this means that it will stop on Sunset in front of the BHH (at or near the corner of Sunset Blvd. and Beverly Drive), and it will take you to the corner of Grand and Temple, which is just two blocks away from the WDCH (which is at the corner of Grand and 1st Street.

According to the weekday timetable, leaveing Sunset/Beverly at 6:02 pm would get you to your destination just after 7:00 pm (the timetable gives only the mark for the end of the line, so I'm estimating the time for Grand and Temple).

Route 2 Timetable and Map (.pdf file):

http://www.mta.net/images/002-302.pdf

Overall Metro Map (big .pdf file):

http://www.mta.net/images/System_Map.pdf

Search this Thread