Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Old Jun 21, 2004, 5:12 pm

Good information. More than I knew and I live here
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Total travel time between LAX [hotel shuttle to Green Line shuttle to station to Wilshire/Western station and transfer to bus for Beverly Hills, Museum Mile, etc.] is about 2-hours.
I guess this is why RTD (Rapid Transit District) changed their name to MTA (Metro Transportation Authority). Not very rapid. Just for comparison, the same trip during non-rush hour times - taking the 105 freeway to the 405 to the 10 (which runs right into downtown) -would be about 1/2 hour, or 1 1/2 hours druing rush hour. The airport and downtown essentially bracket Los Angeles east to west.

However, as a tourist is does give one a peek at an LA that most seldom see.
Really? I thought you couldn't miss this part of L.A.

Once you figure it out, the LA Transit System is actually quite good .
REALLY?

Interesting to have an outsider's perpective on our much maligned transit system. To me it is completely inefficient and useless. The majority of Angelenos never ride the MTA because the Metro lines don't go where you need to go and the buses are disgusting and slow.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 8:45 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Velocity Awards
Cheapest Way of Getting from LAX to ONT?

Hi there!

I arrive at LAX on 12/21 at 9.30pm. I have a flight from ONT the next day at 6.00am.

What's the best way of getting between the two airports? Is there are shuttle bus that does that run? I thought I might hire a car for 1 day at around $56! Is there anything cheaper than that? There are three of us travelling - myself and my two teenage girls.

Thanks for your help out there.

Bewildered Aussie!

Last edited by cheap pacific fares; Dec 4, 2004 at 8:48 pm Reason: Spelling error!
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:36 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
What did you end up doing?
Old Dec 31, 2004, 3:03 am

Programs: AA Pt, HH Diamond, AS MVP
I don't know what OP did, but I have a colleague who must commute daily from San Bernadino to the Venice/Marina del Rey area, and I can state with some confidence that United Express flies at least a few flights daily between LAX and ONT, mostly Brasilia 120s although I think they mix in an occasional CRJ.

Upon review, however, doesn't look like flying would meet OP's a) budget or b) time constraints! Eek!
Old Jan 2, 2005, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There really is no cheaper way than the $56 you've indicated. You can also take shuttles, cabs, private limos,....but they are going to cost the same and even more expensive than hiring a private car. Public Transport is REALLY A HUGE PROBLEM in the LA basin. Heck I can get from SFO-OAK with BART for less than $10.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 9:30 pm

This is kind of OT, but in Chicago you can go from ORD to MDW and vice-versa for $1.75 on the "L."
Old Jan 28, 2005, 6:26 am

Programs: NH*G, Marriott Gold
Hi there,
I am brandnew to this very interesting + informative forum and this thread is actually exactly what I need to know as well.
In 2 weeks I will arrive on Saturday at 4pm at LAX Terminal B and need to travel on to Ontario, CA where I will have a meeting 2 days later. So, my company urgently wants to know how I plan to do this... No idea ! This is my very first time to LA and I am not quite sure if it is that easy to rent a car and drive all the way on my own, as I think I have to drive throughout the whole town, right ?

@ rejunivated: What are these shuttles that you mentioned and where do they start (at LAX) and end (at ONT) ? Although they might be a bit (?) more expensive than renting a car, I would prefer it this way...

Any help / recommendation is really appreciated.

Thanks and regards.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
Hi, Chris.

You have a few options:

1. Fly. UA Express (SkyWest) has 6 flights on Saturdays LAX-ONT. Often times UA has these on their "e-fare" specials at united.com for $90 round trip. This might be worthwhile if rental car prices at ONT are cheaper, or if you can get a free hotel shuttle from ONT airport. Plus on the return you would probably be able to check your luggage through to your final destination.

2. SuperShuttle. The website lists $48 one way from LAX to the 91761 zip code in Ontario. PrimeTime is the other major shuttle service but it has just temporarily shut down due to insurance issues.

3. Rail. It's a bit complicated but if you're not crunched for time, it's cheap:
a. Take the LAX Shuttle (free airport operated bus) from outside baggage claim to the MetroRail Green Line Aviation/LAX station.
b. Take MetroRail Green Line east to the Blue Line north to the Red Line east and get off at LA Union Station.
c. Transfer to Metrolink: the Riverside line stops in East Ontario, the San Bernardino line stops in Rancho Cucamonga. From there you'd be on your own in terms of calling a taxi, using local bus transit, or arranging for a rental car pick up. But the total price would be $9.50 one way. ($3 for a MetroRail day pass and $6.50 for the Metrolink.) More info on MetroRail is at www.mta.net, Metrolink is www.metrolinktrains.com
Old Jan 29, 2005, 4:18 pm

Programs: NH*G, Marriott Gold
@ mizzou65201:

Thank you very much for your help and the links. ^
I think I'll take one of the Shuttles - or maybe even rent a car.. From Saturday evening until my meeting on Monday morning I'll have more than a day to find my way to Ontario...

Thanks again and regards.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 6:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
Sounds good. One option might be to stay in the LAX/Santa Monica/Westside area Saturday night and be a tourist, then drive to Ontario on Sunday morning when the freeways are practically empty and avoid the traffic headaches.
Old May 6, 2005, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Trip in November

Hi, Shareholder et. al--

I'm planning to do a similar trip.

I will be dropping off my Thrifty rental car early morning -- perhaps 4 a.m. -- and need to get to Union Station to catch the 6:05 Pacific Surfliner to San Diego for the day. As a railfan, I'd rather ride the subway system than take buses (even though I have done the entirety of L.A.'s MTA rail system).

Using the MTA's R/G/B (heh) line timetables -- and assuming the trains aren't too late -- I've found that, in order to arrive at Union Station with an acceptable minute margin to catch the Surfliner requires the following:

BEST OPTION:
Depart Aviation Blvd. (Green Line) by 4:28 a.m
Arrive Union Station at 5:34 a.m.

LAST MINUTE OPTION (before I cancel returning my rental car or take a cab)
Depart Aviation Blvd. 4:43 a.m.
Arrive Union Station 5:59 a.m

Again, these transit times are assuming none of the trains are sufficiently late to make me miss my transfers. I'd of course prefer to catch the 4:28 Green Line so that if one is late, I'll still be able to catch the following trains and make it in by 5:44, 5:49, or at the latest, 5:59.

My real question and reason for posting is: how long do I need to allow after dropping my rental car off to make it to the Aviation Blvd. station by 4:20 or so? Maps.google.com shows the Thrifty office is about 1.3 miles from the Green Line station. I guess I could walk it, maybe in about 15-20 minutes. Or, if they're open, would the Thrifty shuttle drop me off there? (Anyone familiar with that location's operating policies and procedures?)

Shareholder, based on your experience here, do you think this trip is doable? Should I allow myself even more time than I've given myself? Is this whole idea nuts? ;-)

TIA,
Jackal
Old May 6, 2005, 9:44 pm

Jackal, We did a similar trip a few years ago but were able to drop the rental car at Union Station for no extra fees. This worked perfectly for us. Don't remember which rental company though.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
LAX to Burbank... options??

I have a meeting in the Burbank area (South of the Airport on Hollywood Way) on a Thursday afternoon. I then have a flight from LAX to TPE on SQ that departs at 11:25PM.

Let's pretend for a moment that the only flights that I can get to the LA area are into LAX....

Assuming that I arrive LAX around 8:45 AM how long will it take me to drive to the Burbank area? I'm assuming 30 - 45 minutes... 405 - 101 - 134 - Hollywood Way.

On the return suppose my meeting gets out at 5:00PM... How long will it take me to get to LAX (or should I catch a flight from BUR to LAS to LAX )?

I know that I can take the MTR to Union Station and then Metrolink to BUR (and the same in reverse), but in looking at the timetables that's looking like potentially MORE frustrating than fighting traffic.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 1:25 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
Originally Posted by andrewp
I know that I can take the MTR to Union Station and then Metrolink to BUR (and the same in reverse), but in looking at the timetables that's looking like potentially MORE frustrating than fighting traffic.

You have never seen LA traffic, have you?
Old Oct 21, 2005, 1:37 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
Couldn't help myself for a moment...

I'd skip the flight to LAS.

I'd say brings lots of map, if you're getting a rental car and allow 1 1/2 times non-rush hour traffic time in rush hour. Bring pen and paper also to figure out sidestreets in case the freeway is a mess because of an accident or something.

If you are going from airport to airport, you might want to consider the following:

http://www.supershuttle.com

http://www.primetimeshuttle.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.