Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread

Old Jun 21, 04, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, UA, DL, NW, Starwood and Marriott peon
Good information. More than I knew and I live here
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Total travel time between LAX [hotel shuttle to Green Line shuttle to station to Wilshire/Western station and transfer to bus for Beverly Hills, Museum Mile, etc.] is about 2-hours.
I guess this is why RTD (Rapid Transit District) changed their name to MTA (Metro Transportation Authority). Not very rapid. Just for comparison, the same trip during non-rush hour times - taking the 105 freeway to the 405 to the 10 (which runs right into downtown) -would be about 1/2 hour, or 1 1/2 hours druing rush hour. The airport and downtown essentially bracket Los Angeles east to west.

However, as a tourist is does give one a peek at an LA that most seldom see.
Really? I thought you couldn't miss this part of L.A.

Once you figure it out, the LA Transit System is actually quite good .
REALLY?

Interesting to have an outsider's perpective on our much maligned transit system. To me it is completely inefficient and useless. The majority of Angelenos never ride the MTA because the Metro lines don't go where you need to go and the buses are disgusting and slow.
Old May 6, 05, 9:32 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Trip in November

Hi, Shareholder et. al--

I'm planning to do a similar trip.

I will be dropping off my Thrifty rental car early morning -- perhaps 4 a.m. -- and need to get to Union Station to catch the 6:05 Pacific Surfliner to San Diego for the day. As a railfan, I'd rather ride the subway system than take buses (even though I have done the entirety of L.A.'s MTA rail system).

Using the MTA's R/G/B (heh) line timetables -- and assuming the trains aren't too late -- I've found that, in order to arrive at Union Station with an acceptable minute margin to catch the Surfliner requires the following:

BEST OPTION:
Depart Aviation Blvd. (Green Line) by 4:28 a.m
Arrive Union Station at 5:34 a.m.

LAST MINUTE OPTION (before I cancel returning my rental car or take a cab)
Depart Aviation Blvd. 4:43 a.m.
Arrive Union Station 5:59 a.m

Again, these transit times are assuming none of the trains are sufficiently late to make me miss my transfers. I'd of course prefer to catch the 4:28 Green Line so that if one is late, I'll still be able to catch the following trains and make it in by 5:44, 5:49, or at the latest, 5:59.

My real question and reason for posting is: how long do I need to allow after dropping my rental car off to make it to the Aviation Blvd. station by 4:20 or so? Maps.google.com shows the Thrifty office is about 1.3 miles from the Green Line station. I guess I could walk it, maybe in about 15-20 minutes. Or, if they're open, would the Thrifty shuttle drop me off there? (Anyone familiar with that location's operating policies and procedures?)

Shareholder, based on your experience here, do you think this trip is doable? Should I allow myself even more time than I've given myself? Is this whole idea nuts? ;-)

TIA,
Jackal
Old May 6, 05, 9:44 pm

Jackal, We did a similar trip a few years ago but were able to drop the rental car at Union Station for no extra fees. This worked perfectly for us. Don't remember which rental company though.
Old Oct 21, 05, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
LAX to Burbank... options??

I have a meeting in the Burbank area (South of the Airport on Hollywood Way) on a Thursday afternoon. I then have a flight from LAX to TPE on SQ that departs at 11:25PM.

Let's pretend for a moment that the only flights that I can get to the LA area are into LAX....

Assuming that I arrive LAX around 8:45 AM how long will it take me to drive to the Burbank area? I'm assuming 30 - 45 minutes... 405 - 101 - 134 - Hollywood Way.

On the return suppose my meeting gets out at 5:00PM... How long will it take me to get to LAX (or should I catch a flight from BUR to LAS to LAX )?

I know that I can take the MTR to Union Station and then Metrolink to BUR (and the same in reverse), but in looking at the timetables that's looking like potentially MORE frustrating than fighting traffic.
Old Oct 21, 05, 1:25 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
Originally Posted by andrewp
I know that I can take the MTR to Union Station and then Metrolink to BUR (and the same in reverse), but in looking at the timetables that's looking like potentially MORE frustrating than fighting traffic.

You have never seen LA traffic, have you?
Old Oct 21, 05, 1:37 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
Couldn't help myself for a moment...

I'd skip the flight to LAS.

I'd say brings lots of map, if you're getting a rental car and allow 1 1/2 times non-rush hour traffic time in rush hour. Bring pen and paper also to figure out sidestreets in case the freeway is a mess because of an accident or something.

If you are going from airport to airport, you might want to consider the following:

http://www.supershuttle.com

http://www.primetimeshuttle.com
Old Oct 21, 05, 5:44 pm

I have a meeting in the Burbank area (South of the Airport on Hollywood Way) on a Thursday afternoon. I then have a flight from LAX to TPE on SQ that departs at 11:25PM.

Let's pretend for a moment that the only flights that I can get to the LA area are into LAX....

Assuming that I arrive LAX around 8:45 AM how long will it take me to drive to the Burbank area? I'm assuming 30 - 45 minutes... 405 - 101 - 134 - Hollywood Way.

On the return suppose my meeting gets out at 5:00PM... How long will it take me to get to LAX (or should I catch a flight from BUR to LAS to LAX )?

OMG! LMAO!

Ahem...sorry. You should try to get a flight directly into BUR. I know, you said, "let's pretend". Lucky your meeting is in the afternoon. The cross-valley or cross-basin trips could take you a couple of hours, or more. Very hard to tell with L.A. The 405 is usually a crawl. Fortunately you have scheduled your meeting in the afternoon and your departure on SQ is late at night. Expect to spend most of the day in your rental car.

M8
Old Oct 21, 05, 5:54 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/spg, M life, and Hertz
Morning traffic on the 405 North is actually not that bad once you get past the 10 interchange. Pretty much full speed from Westwood on... By then, most of rush hour should have passed, too.

On the return suppose my meeting gets out at 5:00PM... How long will it take me to get to LAX
Now that is just going to be UGLY, no matter how you slice it. I would do 134 E, 5S, 110S, 105W and be happy if it took only an hour.
Old Oct 21, 05, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Now that is just going to be UGLY, no matter how you slice it. I would do 134 E, 5S, 110S, 105W and be happy if it took only an hour.
Yeesh.. maybe that BUR-LAS-LAX flight isn't a bad idea...

Or, just find a jetBlue flight with an iffy nose gear
Old Oct 21, 05, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Uggghhh......

Thanks everyone! I had a feeling that I wasn't going to like the responses.

I was hoping to take care of a business meeting at the beginning of a personal trip, but in retrospect it looks like a bad idea. I'm one of those people who gets pretty neurotic in advance of an international flight and I think that I might just completely lose it if I get stuck in traffic on the way to the airport.... Even if I have 5 hours.

Looks like I'm going move the meeting up a couple of days and endure the HP RJ to BUR
Old Oct 23, 05, 11:34 am

My suggestion:

Due to time constraint, your best bet is to hire a car service that will pick you up from the airport and straight to your meeting in Burbank. (I've done this many times living in Toluca Lake a few years ago and having to jet for same-day meeting flights via LAX.)

By the way, your goal is doable, so don't be discouraged.

With a flight arrival of 8:45a, you will most likely get out of the airport around 10a -- depending if you have baggages, etc. If luck is on your side that morning, you may even get out sooner. Anyway, even with a 10a departure from LAX, you will still make it to Burbank by 11:25a. At 10a, the freeways are more cooperative. Your driver will most likely take you via one of these routes - or tell him if he's not sure:

FASTEST:
1) 105 EAST > 110 NORTH > 5 NORTH.

IF 110 NORTH IS CONGESTED:
2) 105 EAST > 110 NORTH > 10 EAST > 5 NORTH

We have a side-street route we use in our company that provides our drivers with a 90% guarantee of getting there in 50 minutes, but it's too long to give that route here.

Upon leaving your meeting, it's best you hire the same car service (if you had a good experience with them in the morning) to take you to LAX. Your worse case scenario on a typical rush hour drive would be 2 hours. So you're safest time of arrival at LAX will be 8p -- which will still be enough time for your late-night flight.

I've done what you're planning to do many times, and it's gonna be okay. Car service will cost you around $50 each way.

Another solution is to take the Super Shuttle or Primetime Shuttle from LAX to BUR airport. (I know this exists via Super Shuttle, but I'm just not sure of the price.) Then you can switch shuttles when you're at the Burbank airport and head to your meeting. However, the car service may just give you less headache and stress -- and it may end up costing the same at the end.

Good luck, have a safe flight and positive meeting!
Old Oct 23, 05, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.6MM, UA 1K GS 1.6MM
Doable, don't over react

What you have proposed is very doable. Agree that having a car take you to the meeting and back to LAX is the way to proceed. I think worst case scenario from LAX to Burbank will be 1.5 hours. Leaving Burbank area as late as 7:30 p.m. will still get you back to LAX with plenty of time to spare.
Old Oct 24, 05, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, UA, DL, NW, Starwood and Marriott peon
Unfortunately your arrival time and meeting time will put you in rush hour both ways. Yes, it's doable but plan on at least an hour or more in traffic each way. Car service is a good idea but I am not sure where you will find one for $50. My house (which is 3 miles from BUR) to LAX is $75-85 each way with everyone I have ever checked/heard of.

Definitely rental car. Definitely get one you don't mind sitting in for along time. You won't miss your flights, but you will be on the freeways for a good amount of time. No need to reschedule your trips though.
Old Oct 25, 05, 10:32 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Also take some Xanax and get a rental car with XM satellite for sitting in Los Angeles gridlock.
Old Oct 25, 05, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Talking

If you are going w/ a car rental, I think you're a tad low in your time estimates, and would figure 60-75 minutes. Equally, I'd avoid the 101 as the 405 & 134 interchanges are both notorious for plugging up, even outside of rush hour traffic. Going N. on the 405 to Burbank Blvd. and then taking this surface street East (or dropping south to Magnolia Blvd. or Chandler Blvd. which are even better) is apt to save you real time instead of sitting in freeway congestion.

I'd figure an hour and a half to two hours at 5 p.m.... Although if you go out to dinner in the Valley, and save your trip "over the hill" until after 6:30, I'd guess that you're back to looking at an hour to an hour and 15 minutes total travel time. Maybe eat somewhere in Encino on Ventura Blvd, which has almost any cuisine your heart might desire.

Actually, if I were trying to do an "all public transit" routing, I'd try going mostly Metro light rail rather than trying to transfer to the heavy rail Metrolink. Take the shuttle to the metro green line, green line to blue line, blue line to red line. The last station on the Metro Red Line is at Lankershim Bl. & Chandler Bl....and you should be able to catch a taxi from the waiting zone there, as Hollywood Way is less than 2 miles. As near as I can make out the schedules, you'd be looking at 2:00 to 2:15 in travel time. (For the bargain concious, using a "Metro Day Pass", less the taxi(s) at the Valley end, the whole trip would cost $3 )

Search this Thread