FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   Late breakfast / brunch near LAX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/1881321-late-breakfast-brunch-near-lax.html)

Eastbay1K Dec 5, 2017 9:48 pm

Late breakfast / brunch near LAX

Suggestions? Something within a 15 to 20 minute drive*, open 1030-ish on a Wednesday morning, can be diner-like, and comfortable to sit and chat for 90 minutes or so. We're getting picked up and dropped off, with luggage in tow, as connecting flight check-in will not yet be available. Don't care about a beach view. Don't want to sit at "everyone's favo(u)rite near-LAX" burger joint for all that time. One in the crowd can't walk very far, so convenient parking to resto door (not more than a block or two) is important.

*15 to 20 minutes means actual real time, not how far you could drive in that time at 3:30 AM.

Polytonic Dec 5, 2017 10:08 pm

How long is your layover?

Traffic shouldn't be too bad by 10:30am. I'm a big fan of Bru's Wiffle in Santa Monica. Chicken and waffles, outdoor street seating or cozy indoors modern vibe. Decent street parking on the *north* side of Wilshire, or use the lot in the back ($10ish IIRC). Whatever you do, don't park on the street south of Wilshire.

There's also Maple Block Meat Co in Culver City or thereabouts. They have a parking lot in front with fairly good availability. Fairly modern interior, natural lighting. They're fairly expensive though, though you do get a lot of food.

If you want something much closer to the airport, pretty much anything in Venice Beach is good, though parking can be nuts (probably not terrible on a Wednesday morning though).

Do you have a preference with regards to cuisine?

DELee Dec 5, 2017 10:38 pm

Well, if you want free and available parking and really near LAX (and a very avgeeky place)....

The Proud Bird Restaurant has Reopened as a Food Bazaar

David

jaymar01 Dec 5, 2017 10:51 pm

A South Bay breakfast institution is Uncle Bills in Manhattan Beach.
A straight shot north on Highland Avenue, turning into Vista del Mar along the oceanfront should get you to LAX with time to spare.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/uncle-bills...anhattan-beach

TWA884 Dec 5, 2017 11:07 pm

There's always Dinah's Family Restaurant on Sepulveda just south of the Marina Fwy (CA SR 90).

From USA Today:

Ever since 1959, Dinah's Family Restaurant has made the corner of Sepulveda and Centinela in Westchester a culinary landmark. Still family owned after all those years, the diner-style eatery is often so packed (especially on Sundays) that getting a parking space can be a challenge. That's because of their famous fried chicken, for starters. It's made with their secret "original recipe" and can be carried out in a box, tub or barrel. Eat in and you'll also find BBQ beef ribs, pork ribs and chicken, as well as a complete homestyle menu of meatloaf, pork chops, chicken fried steak and more. Make sure to have a piece of homemade pie for dessert, too. Open every day for breakfast as well, Dinah's is also known for their oven pancakes (apple, banana walnut, etc.), waffles and other morning comfort food, all offered at very reasonable prices.
They are famous for the fried chicken, but I always go for the apple pancakes, they're to die for.

Eastbay1K Dec 5, 2017 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 29139734)
Well, if you want free and available parking and really near LAX (and a very avgeeky place)....

The Proud Bird Restaurant has Reopened as a Food Bazaar

David

I've been wanting to go, but it opens too late.

Originally Posted by Polytonic (Post 29139673)

There's also Maple Block Meat Co in Culver City or thereabouts. They have a parking lot in front with fairly good availability. Fairly modern interior, natural lighting. They're fairly expensive though, though you do get a lot of food.

Looks good, but opens too late.

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 29139788)
There's always Dinah's Family Restaurant on Sepulveda just south of the Marina Fwy (CA SR 90).

From USA Today:
They are famous for the fried chicken, but I always go for the apple pancakes, they're to die for.

We've been. Since mom didn't mention it, it sounds like she wants to try something new. It always remains as an option.

Merlinrnr Dec 6, 2017 5:43 am

I would highly recommend Fork-In Aussie Pie on Aviation Blvd in Inglewood. It’s very close to the Green line station by LAX. About 5 min drive. They open early. It’s a very small place but it’s quiet and the food is AMAZING!!

LAX2Anywhere Dec 6, 2017 9:21 am

If Manhattan Beach is in range as jaymar01 suggests above, The Kettle would be another choice. Open 24/7 and serves breakfast/brunch all day. It shouldn't be crowded on a Wednesday morning. Just down the street from Uncle Bill's.

http://thekettle.net/

Parking for either can be a challenge, but shouldn't be too bad on a Wednesday If street parking nearby isn't available, there's a couple municipal parking structures nearby.

bzcat Dec 6, 2017 11:40 am

Try Hal's at Playa Vista. 10 minutes from LAX, plenty of parking. Opens for breakfast at 8AM.

http://halsplayavista.com/location.html

TWA884 Dec 6, 2017 1:30 pm

There is last season's Top Chef winner's Brooke Williamson's Playa Provisions. One of the four separate spaces there, King Beach, serves breakfast and lunch.

Another of her places, a couple of blocks away, The Tripel, is a gastropub which opens for lunch at 11am. They also serve brunch, but I'm not sure of the days or the hours.

FlyinHawaiian Dec 6, 2017 2:05 pm

We like Superba Food + Bread in El Segundo, just off Sepulveda.

Superba Food + Bread

jerry a. laska Dec 6, 2017 5:51 pm

I've had a good breakfast at J. Nichols Kitchen in Marina del Rey a couple of times. It has it's own parking so you should have no trouble getting dropped at the door. You should be able to get there in 15 -20 minutes but considering all the horror stories I've been hearing about exiting LAX lately....

Eastbay1K Dec 6, 2017 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 29141881)
Try Hal's at Playa Vista. 10 minutes from LAX, plenty of parking. Opens for breakfast at 8AM.

Location Map

Opens at 8 Fri-Sun - otherwise, 11am.

obscure2k Dec 25, 2017 8:02 pm

Panns is great and close to LAX. I love it.
Pann's Restaurant & Coffee Shop.. Our History - Los Angeles, CA

Eastbay1K Jan 16, 2018 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian (Post 29142579)
We like Superba Food + Bread in El Segundo, just off Sepulveda.

Superba Food + Bread

Update - we had a very tasty brunch here. I wish we'd have been able to eat a bit later because the lunch food looked great, but we arrived about 10:30 am (and the lunch menu isn't served until 11). Traffic returning to LAX was a bit nasty, but we allowed more than enough time.