Reload this Page >

LAX Takeoff/Departures Using Runways 06 and 07

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Hmmm, it's gotta be the bliss wind - 2 weeks ago, for us (before the Spring wildfire that sparked up all over ....)

On a DL non-stop late evening, that usually take off toward the ocean LAX-JFK, we pushed back early fully loaded. Had a very short taxi before FO announced that we're #2 for takeoff, via Runway 7 and climbed over the city lights & freeways below - usually it's pitch black heading out the Pacific.

With a strong tail wind and little turbulence at cruising altitude, we landed straight in and were at T2 at 5:05 AM, almost an hour ahead of scheduled arrival with a flying time of 4:35 - one of the fastest 752 run we've flown in a while.
Old May 6, 2013, 7:27 pm

Saturday was strange. Flying BWI-SFO we arrived nearly an hour early but flying SFO-BWI that evening we were a few minutes behind and the pilot said the winds were strange and we picked up a headwind nearing the east coast.

SAN and SFO were in their normal runway configurations.
Old May 6, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Flights landing from the west and taking off to the east ended midday today at LAX. This was probably one of the most prolonged periods of time I've seen this (winds blowing east to west at LAX). Even during Santa Ana wind conditions I haven't seen flights landing & taking off in the opposite manner as usual for nearly 1 1/2 days (it started Saturday night).
Old May 6, 2013, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I belive the quiet, over-ocean approaches go into effect at 12 midnight until 6 am or something like that.
That sounds about right.
Old May 7, 2013, 2:51 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As was pointed out upthread, we do have a thread on LAX Rwy 6/7 operations in the Destination Los Angeles forum, and I'll move it to that forum where it can be integrated with the pre-existing thread. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum

Thanks Mod. Just put it in Buzz as I was on my iPhone in the flight and searching was tough. Appreciate all the input (new and old). Flying back in tomorrow so good to know its back to the usual landmarks starting with Palm Springs and then the 909.
Old May 8, 2013, 1:23 pm

This has been happening all Saturday and Sunday, and I think I noticed the eastward landing on Friday, too, but I'm not sure. Do the winds stay in this direction for this long?
Old May 8, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
On Monday, we landed on 6L. Too bad there are no high-speed exits heading east. It made for a long taxi to T6.
Old May 8, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
On Monday, we landed on 6L. Too bad there are no high-speed exits heading east. It made for a long taxi to T6.
Yikes - would the worst be a long landing on 07R (all the way to the end/Aviation Bl) and then a taxi to Terminal 1?
Old May 9, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Yikes - would the worst be a long landing on 07R (all the way to the end/Aviation Bl) and then a taxi to Terminal 1?
I'm sure they'll try to avoid that if possible (e.g. you don't see a lot of Southwest landing using 25L on normal approach). However, I remember once coming in about 1AM on a delayed JFK-LAX flight on AA and we landed on 07R and it took almost 30 minutes to taxi back to T4 (this was before the center taxiway so we had to hold for departures on 07L). Can't imagine going to the other side... that would have been a 45 minute ride on the ground.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
This has been happening all Saturday and Sunday, and I think I noticed the eastward landing on Friday, too, but I'm not sure. Do the winds stay in this direction for this long?

Not often at all. It was because of this odd storm system that just seemed to linger. A "cut off low".

Everything back to normal now.

HP
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Interesting/unusual to me because I have never seen this, but this morning landed west to east on the north runways while departing aircraft were doing the usual takeoff over water on the south runways.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 7:01 am

Large airports with two sets of runways with good separation between them like LAX allows for the interesting theoretical scenarios, like the two runways to the north doing takeoff/landings to the east and the southern runways doing takeoff/landings to the west. That's only doable with light winds, but offer interesting advantages for fuel savings. An aircraft coming in from the pacific can save some 60 miles of flying landing directly from the ocean, at the same time an aircraft coming from the east can have the same savings landing the other way. Have departures immediately turn away landing traffic on the other side.

I just noticed landings from the ocean and takeoffs into the ocean, probably purely noise abatement, as its 6AM right now (very light traffic in/out of LAX).

Takeoffs are always noisy, but landings don't have to be. The standard 3 degree approaches are quite inflexible due to the way ILS works, but with RNAV/GPS/SBAS its entirely possible to have 3-4 degree variable approaches that ensure idle thrust all the way to landing (modern aircraft can precisely calculate the right speed/altitude to glide all the way to the runway). Hopefully the FAA will pursue this after SatNav is fully implemented starting 2020 (with ADS-B mandatory which requires an GPS+SBAS receiver, meaning there is a big incentive for ALL airlines and biz jets to have LPV approach capability, the ILS equivalent for GPS).

This would also lead to some fuel savings. The less time spent in lower altitudes usually means fuel and time savings.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by moondog
i think ont and lax are supposed to go the same direction whenever possible
Not always the case. Very early morning departures from ONT (i.e. before 7 AM and there generally is not a lot of flight activity) usually take off to the east as the route is then over mostly industrial/warehouse operations areas whereas the west departure route has more housing areas affected. But if there are strong winds, then things change according to which way the wind is blowing.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:40 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Action: Please follow this thread to the Los Angeles forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.