Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Stay in SCL for 24h or venture into city despite unrest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers

We have a 24 (actually 25h) layover in SCL. I have been advised to stay in a hotel at the airport and not venture into town due to current unrest, though our trip is not until August. I'm worried we'll be pacing our room wishing we had taken advantage of the time to see the highlights. Thoughts?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
August is way in the future, why even have something booked at this date.

The mandatory voting on the Constitution questions happens in April.

No one can predict the future, but even in the current situation, staying in Las Condes say near Metro El Golf to Metro Los Dominicos is quite tranquil and gives you access to the central Santiago tourist sites.
OhDoctor, behuman and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:50 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
We have a 24 (actually 25h) layover in SCL. I have been advised to stay in a hotel at the airport and not venture into town due to current unrest, though our trip is not until August. I
Be worried and avoid Chile, no, the whole of South America altogether ! ..

Joking apart: The best places to visit are the places with unrest and known security risks. At least one is careful and yes, South America is a rough place sometimes. This said I wonder why our US friends are so easily scared.

Go into the city taking an Uber, stay at The Aubrey and have dinner at Boragò - easily one of the top 5 restaurants worldwide.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by behuman
Be worried and avoid Chile, no, the whole of South America altogether ! ..

Joking apart: The best places to visit are the places with unrest and known security risks. At least one is careful and yes, South America is a rough place sometimes. This said I wonder why our US friends are so easily scared.

Go into the city taking an Uber, stay at The Aubrey and have dinner at Boragò - easily one of the top 5 restaurants worldwide.
I'm certainly not scared of Chile, or South America in general. I'm referring to specific unrest in the country, and the prospects of that being resolved before I travel. Viajero Perpetuo mentioned a referendum in April, which I didn't know about and is helpful.

It would be the same as asking about traveling in downtown Hong Kong right now -- it certainly wouldn't reflect any general fear of Hong Kong itself.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 4:41 pm

Too early to tell. FYI a friend from an Asian country with a 5 hour layover in SCL asked me if it was advisable to go to Plaza de Armas to visit the city center, have a good lunch and go back to the airport. I said it could be possible time wise but because of situation things could be hectic... yet he managed to do it (with his family) and plenty of time.
OhDoctor likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.