Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Can I get luggage at in Transit airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Guys - New to this. Stumbled on this website last night as I was doing my research (love the info - lots to read!). Not sure if I am asking this in the right forum - but desperately looking for help!

I initially wanted to go from Buenos Aires (EZE) - Punta Arenas (PUQ) and then after a couple of days reach Santiago (SCL). Rates were unbelievably high for one way tickets (almost $1,000/person). However, I realized that I could buy a "return" ticket from EZE - PUQ; almost all LAN flights do a stopover at SCL. I will simply choose not to take SCL-EZE (Price was $300 for return ticket).

Smartypants - little did I realize that I have luggage that I will have to check-in from PUQ. I have a huge layover (8 hrs 40 mins) at SCL. My question is - Can I request LAN to give me the bags at SCL? I can give the reason that I have booked an airport hotel for rest and I will "re check-in" my luggage at SCL. Will LAN airlines allow me to do that? Called LAN twice - got a different answer both the times.

What are my other options? I looked at baggage storage facility at SCL airport (so I can store at my outbound route and pick up), but that wouldn't work as it will be closed when I arrive at SCL the first time.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:16 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
you want to stay at scl & not go back to eze, correct?.....then, you should ask to have your bags short checked to scl, using the excuses you can think of....

this should be in a different forum....i will alert the mods to move it....you don't have to do anything....

hope it works for you...
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Yes - I want to stay in SCL.

So asking the luggage to be short checked at SCL is acceptable? My worry is that they deny me the request and force me to check in the luggage to EZE. In that case, I will be screwed...

I was not sure where to post this - I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2011, 9:33 am
In Memoriam

if you don't ask for the short check, your bags will be tagged to eze.....trying to get them at scl would require a bit of work....

you could see what the cost of shipping the bags would be....
Old Nov 14, 2011, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Does LAN short-check?

Are people with experience on this specific route certain that LAN will short-check the bags?

Most carriers expressly won't do this for exactly the reasons that OP wants it.

Also, how does OP propose to return home given that the remainder of his itinerary will be cancelled once he misses the onward outbound flight/segment? Won't he have to purchase a one-way?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:16 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Often1
Are people with experience on this specific route certain that LAN will short-check the bags?

Most carriers expressly won't do this for exactly the reasons that OP wants it.

Also, how does OP propose to return home given that the remainder of his itinerary will be cancelled once he misses the onward outbound flight/segment? Won't he have to purchase a one-way?
no one w/ specific experience has posted as far as i can tell.....but asking for a short check is the only possible solution mentioned......

to the op.....you could see what the price is w/ a day stopover in scl coming back....certainly worth the time to check...
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - OP shouldn't rely on anybody who can't answer the specific questions at hand and figure the total cost of getting home at the end.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I already have booked a separate flight (on LAN) from SCL - back to home. This is a separate ticket altogether. So that is not an issue (I think)
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:13 am

Programs: AA ExP
Yes, tell them that you need your luggage at SCL because of long-layover and that you will be wanting to get a transit hotel to sleep and freshen up. (If they say, take it in your carry-on, say that your toiletries are larger than 100 ml.) They will probably do so with such a long layover. Under no circumstances tell them you're staying in SCL. In fact, explicitly ask where you should re-check your bags (regular check in counter?) to allay their suspicions. I can't guarantee it will work and I don't have specific experience with LAN, but I am a travel agent and have dealt a LOT with airlines both in my job and as a frequent traveler myself and I'd say your chances are fairly good that it will work. I would suggest anonymously (don't give them your reservation) calling LAN to see what they tell you on the phone. If they say that you can short-check, have them notate your record (give them your reservation upon hearing a positive answer). It may worth it to call back until you get someone who will give you an affirmative answer and then have them notate your record.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

I just wanted to give everyone an update. I am back from vacation and it couldn't be more easier!

I asked the agent at the counter if I would be getting bags in Santiago airport. He said - No, but if I wanted to - I could get it! I was surprised and asked for the luggage and without any hesitation he processed the same for SCL.

Apparently - and I have not confirmed this - in South America if the layover is more than 3 hours, airlines have to give the bags at transit airport if the passenger asks for the same. Again - I have not confirmed this with the airline, but was told by a hotel manager.

Thanks all for your help.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 2:37 pm
In Memoriam

glad it worked!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Rewards Gold, AAdvantage Gold
I have the opposite question. I got an award ticket for my mother-in-law from Quito to Cordoba.

UIO-SCL-overnight layover-COR

She would really prefer not to have to deal with her checked bags and would like LAN to check them all the way through to Cordoba. Is this possible?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:42 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by The Blond Kid
I have the opposite question. I got an award ticket for my mother-in-law from Quito to Cordoba.

She would really prefer not to have to deal with her checked bags and would like LAN to check them all the way through to Cordoba. Is this possible?
they most likely will if she asks at check in....its a reasonable request....
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
I have also done this. It is real easy if it is the same carrier or alliance. If it is a different alliance, the answer is still yes, but sometimes they will tell you no and you have to push it.

Originally Posted by The Blond Kid

Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Teamstone
I have also done this. It is real easy if it is the same carrier or alliance. If it is a different alliance, the answer is still yes, but sometimes they will tell you no and you have to push it.
It isn't a matter of alliance, it is a matter of interline baggage agreements (which are a lot broader than alliances).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.