Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Change to Partner Program?! Oneworld

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I am based in Germany (FRA/MUC/STR) and I fly 5-6times a year to Brasil (mostly with LATAM) and also use LATAM often for domestic flights when in Brasil. The Airline itself is really good in my opinion.
Unfortunately the LATAM Pass Program dissapointed me a lot.

1) Since the change to Multiplus nothing seems to work anymore. I cannot login in the LATAM App anymore.

2) In Germany i cannot use Multiplus

3) The change from Distance Based to Dollar Based Calc

I am now thinking to change to another OW Program and kindly ask you about ur opinion and recommendation.

I am currently LATAM Gold Member (OW Ruby) and i still plan to fly with LATAM.

Would Iberia Plus or BAEC a good option?
Is it possible to use AVIOS for Latam Flights?
is it possible to get a Status Match from Latam Gold?
are there maybe further OW Programe which might be good when flying with LATAM?

i have an amex platin. So MR to Avios would also be a benefit!

thanks
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tomma Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Tomma
I am based in Germany (FRA/MUC/STR) and I fly 5-6times a year to Brasil (mostly with LATAM) and also use LATAM often for domestic flights when in Brasil. The Airline itself is really good in my opinion.

Unfortunately the LATAM Pass Program dissapointed me a lot.
1) Since the change to Multiplus nothing seems to work anymore. I cannot login in the LATAM App anymore.
2) In Germany I cannot use Multiplus

I am now thinking to change to another OW Program and kindly ask you about ur opinion and recommendation.

Would Iberia Plus or BAEC a good option?
Is it possible to use AVIOS for Latam Flights?
Is it possible to get a Status Match from Latam Gold?
Are there maybe further OW Programe which might be good when flying with LATAM?

I have an Amex platin. So MR to Avios would also be a benefit!
What are your objectives with a ffp?
What do use the LATAM ff miles/points for?
Other than the Brazil LATAM flights what other flights do you take?
Could you earn ff miles/points/avios from non flying activities? [shopping, hotels, rental cars, etc] Or only AMEX?

IB and/or BAEC would be OK for a Eu based flyer
You can join both and subject to t&c's you transfer avios between the 2 ffp's. Each has good points.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...tive-club-446/
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iber...?daysprune=100

IB/BA Avios can be used for reward flights on LATAM and other OW airlines, subject to availability
Many BAEC avios rewards have high cash surcharges. Using IB avios for the same reward flights can have lesser cash surcharges

An airline in an alliance will not status match from another airline in the same alliance.
It is possible sometimes to use the benefits of status from 1 ffp and credit the flights to another ffp. But is not fool proof or at times easy swapping freq flyer numbers.

Look at the Oneworld master ffp thread:- Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.
Tomma and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
“An airline in an alliance will not status match from another airline in the same alliance.”

I am Exec Plat with AA and Latam status matched me to Black status.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: IB Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, NH Titanium

I think it really depends on what you value more: status, earning points, or redeeming points.

If you value status more: then find the OW that gives more points to LATAM points towards status.
If you value earning points to use with LATAM more (given they fly to where you want to use): stick to LATAM, unless you are going to fly another OW member more than LATAM.
If you value redeeming points more: choose the airline that makes it easier for you to redeem the flights you need. It has been quite hard to book award flights with other airlines lately, so it doesn't make much sense to earn points on LATAM if you want to mostly redeem tickets in Asia, for instance.

If you give them a call they will be able to fix that for you. My mother-in-law had the same issue and they fixed it over phone. Pain in the neck, but it worked out and had to do it only once.

2) In Germany i cannot use Multiplus
What do you mean? You'd still be collecting points when flying LATAM or any other OW airline.

If you value status, that sucks. If you value earning and redeeming points, it sucks less. But I don't think other airlines will make your life much easier either. And as a rule of thumb, you always make more points in the program of the airline operating the flight.

This is very weird. If you flew 5-6 times from Europe to Brasil last year you should have been at the very least Platinum now if flying economy. Even this year, with all the recent changes on how to earn status and with the dollar-based calculation, if you spend about US$ 3000 in fares in the year (which should be very easy if you are really flying 5-6 times from Europe to Brazil) you would qualify to be Platinum. If you make about US$ 6500 spend in fares you would qualify for Black, which is not impossible given you flying behaviour.

As a final thought, given the flying-pattern you shared (5-6 times/year Europe to Brazil, and plans to keep flying LATAM even if changing the frequent flyer program) I would stick to LATAM Fidelidade and Multiplus unless you plan to fly more on another OW carrier. If you change to BAEC or IB Plus, I would start flying them on the trips to Brasil to earn more points there than flying LATAM.
Tomma likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: LH FTL, LATAM Platinum, KL Silver, UA Premier Silver
[QUOTE Even this year, with all the recent changes on how to earn status and with the dollar-based calculation [...] If you make about US$ 6500 spend in fares you would qualify for Black, .[/QUOTE]

Sorry, if I am going OT a bit, but can you elaborate on how and where you will be reaching LATAM Black by spending USD 6,500.00 THIS year (2019)?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: IB Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, NH Titanium
Originally Posted by SenSCL
Sorry, if I am going OT a bit, but can you elaborate on how and where you will be reaching LATAM Black by spending USD 6,500.00 THIS year (2019)?
Good catch, I posted wrong info. I got confused with the damn Gold Plus status now. I looked at the 2nd and 3rd categories on their website without looking at the names. The correct now is to look at the 3rd and 4th categories for Platinum and Black.

US$ 5000 minimum fare spend for Platinum, US$ 16.666 minimum fare spend for Black, in both cases for international flights, not domestic. Platinum is still attainable for OP given the 5-6 yearly roundtrips from Europe to Brasil.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.