Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

First class A380 day time or B747-8 red eye

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Flying with my husband JFK-BKK (via ICN) soon and wondering which flight to pick. The first choice is JFK-ICN departing 1am red eye on the b747-8 new Komso suite, landing in BKK around 1pm (so can still do stuff around Bangkok once we land) with a 5hr layover in ICN. The second choice is an afternoon flight out at 1pm JFK-ICN on the a380 with the old kosmo seats and a 50min layover in ICN. We would get to BKK at 9pm so wouldn't have time to do anything after landing.

So right now I'm booked on the a380 mostly because I figure it's better for couples traveling together since we can sit next to each other. Plus the separate bar/lounge area sounds kind of fun. But on the con-side, we'd have less time in BKK plus may miss our connection in ICN if flight is even a little delayed (there's a later flight out ICN-BKK though so not super worried about that). I'm having second thoughts though cos I think having the separate suites on the b747 will be nice since we'll probably be sleeping most of the way since it's a red eye. Lastly, wondering if we'll get shortened meal service on the b747 on the midnight flight due to the timing.

as you can see, I'm extremely torn right now...has anyone flown this route and have an opinion on which is "better"? Anything else I should take into consideration?

Thanks!!
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by cncm
Flying with my husband JFK-BKK (via ICN) soon and wondering which flight to pick. The first choice is JFK-ICN departing 1am red eye on the b747-8 new Komso suite, landing in BKK around 1pm (so can still do stuff around Bangkok once we land) with a 5hr layover in ICN. The second choice is an afternoon flight out at 1pm JFK-ICN on the a380 with the old kosmo seats and a 50min layover in ICN. We would get to BKK at 9pm so wouldn't have time to do anything after landing.

So right now I'm booked on the a380 mostly because I figure it's better for couples traveling together since we can sit next to each other. Plus the separate bar/lounge area sounds kind of fun. But on the con-side, we'd have less time in BKK plus may miss our connection in ICN if flight is even a little delayed (there's a later flight out ICN-BKK though so not super worried about that). I'm having second thoughts though cos I think having the separate suites on the b747 will be nice since we'll probably be sleeping most of the way since it's a red eye. Lastly, wondering if we'll get shortened meal service on the b747 on the midnight flight due to the timing.

as you can see, I'm extremely torn right now...has anyone flown this route and have an opinion on which is "better"? Anything else I should take into consideration?

Thanks!!

Tough but good choice to have- I would choose the Redeye 747 Flight. Not only is the suite and the plane newer, the redeye option is a nice way to get some good rest before you land..plus maximizes your time on ground, and that's always most important to me. Although the Bar is a nice option in the a380, i really cannot see you guys spending much time in it.

Downside is the 5 hour layover in ICN- Their lounges really stink, so it may be a tough 5 hours..
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Anyone know what the movie selection is like on Korean? That might be the tipping factor for me. No point getting the day time flight if we'll just be bored!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Um, google for flight reviews!!!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I always prefer a redeye if possible - sleeping really helps to cut down on the boredom of a long flight.
Wangja likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:03 am

Anyone know what the movie selection is like on Korean? That might be the tipping factor for me. No point getting the day time flight if we'll just be bored!
If you go to their website- they typically update the Selection Monthly--

https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/...nt/201407.html
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: Skypass, IHG
J seats on 747-8 are quite nicer than A380. 747-8 upstairs windows seat has a wide storage bin by the window.

I would pick 747-8 over A380 business class. Better seat and better sleep quality. Aisle access for all J seats on 747-8.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Originally Posted by t_cliff
J seats on 747-8 are quite nicer than A380. 747-8 upstairs windows seat has a wide storage bin by the window.

I would pick 747-8 over A380 business class. Better seat and better sleep quality. Aisle access for all J seats on 747-8.
OP said they were flying in F (but I agree with your assessment of J! ).
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:14 pm

Even F looks to be nicer on the 748 as you would get the new seats with a door and individual air nozzle.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
This is a link to KE's current entertainment magazine Beyond
http://beyond.koreanair.com/e-book/e...image=2&Dir=58
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: KL-PEFL
Originally Posted by get0ffdanutzz
Tough [....]

Downside is the 5 hour layover in ICN- Their lounges really stink, so it may be a tough 5 hours..
Well, that's a bit strong but it is true the F lounge is just a smaller version of the J lounge: identical furniture. It does have a smoking room at the far end. The food selection is a little better than J.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:05 pm

Similar problem with a twist
For mid January I have award on the 380 leaving NYC about noon.
Waitlisted on 747 flight(which I prefer). Reservation requires payment by Nov 15.
What are my chances of clearing the waitlist before then(or at any time.)
Appreciate suggestions on how to proceed
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Wangja
Well, that's a bit strong but it is true the F lounge is just a smaller version of the J lounge: identical furniture. It does have a smoking room at the far end. The food selection is a little better than J.
Hmm, not strong. Maybe being a OWE and being able to enjoy great lounges like Qantas F, and Cathay F Lounges (Pier and Wing) spoiled me.

The KE F is really pathetic- when compared to what a F lounge should be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.