FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Schiphol security wait times (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2000137-schiphol-security-wait-times.html)

tr3k Dec 16, 2019 6:13 pm

Schiphol security wait times

Dear all - what's a reasonable current security wait time for someone departing from Schiphol (at the end of this month)?
I.e. - for someone with a long layover, who wants to go out to town - how long before the (Schengen, so no immigration, only security) flight should that person return to the airport?

Is there a priority line for *G for those flying LH/LX? (Sorry, I realize this is a KLM forum, but can't seem to find Schiphol forum for *A airlines)

The doomed Dec 17, 2019 12:29 am

What time of day is the flight?

Jeppo10 Dec 17, 2019 4:10 am

Schiphol is usually very quick at all times of the year (5-10mins) as they have decent staff and you don't need to take liquids etc out of your bag. Here's a handy link with current wait times plus there's a drop down menu for historic data.

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/my-travel-day/today

​​​​​​The train to Centraal takes ~15 mins and runs roughly every 10mins assuming there's no maintenance on. Best to check that.

Carel1 Dec 17, 2019 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Jeppo10 (Post 31848393)
Schiphol is usually very quick at all times of the year (5-10mins) as they have decent staff and you don't need to take liquids etc out of your bag.

At Schengen security you still need to take liquids out of your bag.

Rambol Dec 17, 2019 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Carel1 (Post 31848577)
At Schengen security you still need to take liquids out of your bag.

Not at the security point closest to the B-gates. I was there this Saturday and could leave liquids and my laptop in my bag.

Fabo.sk Dec 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jeppo10 (Post 31848393)
Schiphol is usually very quick at all times of the year (5-10mins) as they have decent staff and you don't need to take liquids etc out of your bag. Here's a handy link with current wait times plus there's a drop down menu for historic data.

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/my-travel-day/today

​​​​​​The train to Centraal takes ~15 mins and runs roughly every 10mins assuming there's no maintenance on. Best to check that.

Sorry, but while the security situation isn't as bad as last year, or at FRA, I can't agree with you. It can take a long time if you arrive in peak time, and liquids out depends on the checkpoint.

glennhaak Dec 18, 2019 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Rambol (Post 31849062)
Not at the security point closest to the B-gates. I was there this Saturday and could leave liquids and my laptop in my bag.

Terminal 1A indeed has the new scanners, if you use T1 you still need to take liquids and electronics out.

tr3k Dec 19, 2019 8:07 pm

Thank you all. What are the usual peak times? How busy is the Christmas day there?

drchrysler Dec 20, 2019 12:02 pm

As a data point, I'll share my experience with leaving the airport during a long layover on Christmas day in 2018. My flight landed at around 06:30 and I was able to breeze through customs and be downtown by around 06:30.

After a nice visit downtown, I returned to the airport at around 11:00 that morning and was through the International SkyPriority security checkpoint within 5 minutes.

mfkne Dec 20, 2019 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by drchrysler (Post 31860998)
My flight landed at around 06:30 and I was able to breeze through customs and be downtown by around 06:30.

Blimey, that is fast. ;-)

johan rebel Dec 20, 2019 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by mfkne (Post 31861095)
Blimey, that is fast. ;-)

Teleportation, no doubt!

Johan

atflyer Dec 21, 2019 3:23 am

Originally Posted by tr3k (Post 31858869)
Thank you all. What are the usual peak times? How busy is the Christmas day there?

It all depends. As other posters indicated, security can be a nuisance at Schiphol at peak times. If your are like me ST Sky priority the worst I had was 15 minutes (which is too long for priority of course). When I am short on time, I plan arriving 1-1.15 in advance at security and never had any problem (also flying intercontinental - of course US with interviews can be a different thing). Most of the time this probably is ok too when you are not a prio. Like other posters said, watch this website with waiting times to get an idea if you face peak time.

tr3k Dec 22, 2019 7:35 pm

Is there priority security for Star Alliance Gold members? If there is - where is the checkpoint located?

Ditto Dec 23, 2019 1:13 am

Originally Posted by tr3k (Post 31867694)
Is there priority security for Star Alliance Gold members? If there is - where is the checkpoint located?

There is no specific priority security for *G, you should be able to use any of the priority lanes.