Wiki Posts
Search

New long haul economy service coming

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:10 am
Original Poster

New long haul economy service coming

https://news.klm.com/klm-to-launch-n...class-service/

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines will offer a new Economy Class service concept aboard its intercontinental flights. At the start of an intercontinental flight, Economy Class passengers will receive a bottle of water, a refreshing towel and earphones, which means they can immediately get set for their journey. After this welcome service, passengers will be offered an extended choice of meals on flights out of Amsterdam.

'a refreshing towel' sounds like a step down from the existing warm towel, but at least they're explicitly stating that the meals aren't shrinking.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:42 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Read about this yeaterday on the Dutch edition of Insideflyer. The writer of the article was quite positive with the new setup and food quality.

In my opinion it does not look too shabby, and does seem to have some real improvements compared to current meals. At least they are forced by the unions to take some actions due to the 1 crew reduction. Taste wise, hopefully it will be good.
Although these days most of my flights are with Air France, so not much chance to test this out soon.

Cheers!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: FB
Originally Posted by Weean
'a refreshing towel' sounds like a step down from the existing warm towel, but at least they're explicitly stating that the meals aren't shrinking.
There were/are warm towels handed out in KLM Y?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by Layh
There were/are warm towels handed out in KLM Y?
They were handed out at certain points (more than once) during the flight as I remember 2 or 3 years ago on the way to SCL. I remember as on the return leg I flew AF and distinctly noticed the lack of such towels. Haven't flown longhaul on AF or KL in Y since then though so maybe that's not what happens these days.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
Much like the "Flying Blue for Me" they've again hired a none native English speaker to come up with the slogans:

"Tasty Warm" and "More than Food"

And yes KL has a hot towel in Y, albeit a paper one vs. J's proper towel service. Maybe they are doing away with the hot towel service and placing a pre-packaged one on the seat along with a set of headphones? With less FAs they probably don't have enough to do all these handout services. That is such waste though, many folks already bring their own headsets. They usually only hand them out to those that need them.

Looking at the food images in the link it looks like a scale back in service overall. Dessert definitely looks smaller for sure!

Last edited by majik; Jun 21, 2018 at 3:39 am
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nldogbert
At least they are forced by the unions to take some actions due to the 1 crew reduction.
One union.

VNC, the larger one, signed a new agreement with KL a while back. The smaller one (FNV Cabine) refused to sign.

The reduction of the number of FAs in coach, which KL had already implemented on certain routes, will be extended to all longhaul flights, and the supernumerary purser will have to roll up his sleeves and help out instead. He will, however, only serve half as many pax as the other FAs. The VNC agreed to this on condition that the inflight service would be simplified to reduce the workload.

If I understand this correctly, the beverage service will be scrapped (hence the water with with the earphones and towel, which will most likely be placed on the seat before boarding commences). During the flight pax will then get a meal tray + drink, and that's it. Visit the galley if you want anything else later.

Johan
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:41 am

No gin and tonic before dinner?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by majik
a none native English speaker
A native speaker would say non-native.

Johan
glennhaak and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
If I understand this correctly, the beverage service will be scrapped
I would hope not, there would be war!

When they serve the main meal a small bottle of water is on the tray. I am optimistically hoping that all they are doing is putting the bottled water on the seat instead. This would save weight and space on the tray as per the union agreement. Removing the beverage service and accompanying snack would definitely be viewed as a reduction in amount of food served.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:48 am

When they serve the main meal a small bottle of water is on the tray. I am optimistically hoping that all they are doing is putting the bottled water on the seat instead. This would save weight and space on the tray as per the union agreement. Removing the beverage service and accompanying snack would definitely be viewed as a reduction in amount of food served.
I have three economy class flights to the Far East with KLM/AF in the next six months, the thought of no pre-dinner gin has put me in a cold sweat.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by irishbcn
I have three economy class flights to the Far East with KLM/AF in the next six months, the thought of no pre-dinner has put me in a cold sweat.
On AC TATL for the first time this weekend and was befuddled by the lack of a pre-dinner drink service. I was hungry and thirsty by the end of that flight. FAs can't be expected to do more with less staff but at the very least I expect more drinks and snacks to be freely available in the galley. Which is never going to happen.

Airlines want to cut costs on both ends, service and food. They'll blame the reduction of service on the unions while disguising the fact that they are cutting back on the amount of food to meet the unions demands. Cheeky.
Boturham likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:15 am

Pre-meal drink service will be gone, this is how I read it when I saw it yesterday, and I still think this is the only way you can read it. Otherwise they would be adding extra bit of work while reducing staff numbers...

To translate a nicely worded announcement into plain English - on boarding you will find a small bottle of water, cheap earphones and a "refreshing towel" wrapped up in plastic (like the ones found on Air France short haul flights) thrown on to your seat, and then in flight you will get one meal/drink service, and possibly (not mentioned here) - a pre-arrival snack.

I think that's how they got the union to agree to changes.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Start to end explained here in a video: https://news.klm.com/klm-to-launch-n...class-service/

Handed out after departure, cold towel, water and earphones
then meal service

so no pre-meal drinks but claimed higher quality food
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Wunk
Start to end explained here in a video: https://news.klm.com/klm-to-launch-n...class-service/

Handed out after departure, cold towel, water and earphones
then meal service

so no pre-meal drinks but claimed higher quality food
That video seems to contradict a key line in the press release:

The new service is also more in line with passengers’ wishes, in that the amount of food and drinks served remains the same, while the quality of the service improves.
So if you remove the pre-dinner drink and snack service then you are reducing the amount of food and drinks served. Overall a confusing announcement, par for the course with KL!
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Not looking forward to it. I’ve got a couple of KLM long-haul segment coming up in economy. I’ve always seen the initial beverage service as very important on a flight, settles everybody down.
Goldorak and HalconBCN like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.