Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new long haul Y seat

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by NB00
I flew from AMS to JNB, 10+ hrs on the new Y seat. The IFE is indeed great and the chairs are less narrow than the look. However, the cushions are very hard - I found them less comfortable than Y seats in other aircrafts and was unable to sleep. For me it is not an improvement and find them seats more proper for short-haul flights.
As I said, they remind me of seats on public buses (on which you rarely sit longer than 20-30 minutes).

A lot of airplane seats are uncomfortable not because of width or pitch but because they're 'sat through' like an old mattress. I've slept like a baby in seats with 31 inch pitch but often can't find any comfortable position regardless of pitch if the seat is worn out.

Now these type of 'slim' seats already start out much harder and the cushions will rapidly deteriorate as the seats age because of their thinness.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:48 am

Has anyone thoughts on seats to recommend or avoid in the new Y in 772? Would like to help my parents out with a booking... Seat guru has some comments (under the wrong aircraft revision, but thats beside the point) but no specifics.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Hi, I've just done Bogotá - London on the new Y 777. I posted my thoughts elsewhere, but to summarise, it really isnt suitable as a long haul seat. Its cardboard thin, and Ifound the lack of width very noticeable, at shoulder level particularly. For example on any a320 you'll have more space on a short hop which is fairly ridiculous.

On specifics, I wouldn't say any is much better, there's no underseat boxes to worry about. I don't think economy comfort is worth what they charge at all. Maybe the extra legroom (exit row) seats are worth looking at for some space at a less ridiculous price.

It's a shame, I love KLM crew and always find them warm and can enjoy a joke with them. But I would avoid them on the 777 from now on...
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:14 am

Thanks for the review. As luck would have it, two days ago KLM downgauged the aircraft on the particular trip I had in mind to A332. Which is good for my parents as Y in KL's A332 is not that bad...too bad myself and wife paid for business class on the same trip. Thinking of cancelling and rebooking in Y as the slippery slope WBC is not really worth the premium
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Earlier this year I flew on a 777-200 to Rio de Janiero in Economy comfort. It was pre-upgrade and so was 3-3-3 configuration. It was fine. Last Friday I flew on one of the "upgraded" 777-200s to Atlanta and it was much worse, even though I was in an Economy Comfort seat. I was crushed up against the passenger next to me and as I was in an aisle seat I was constantly hit by trolleys driven by the cabin crew. This was not their fault as the aisles are now so narrow; in fact they looked thoroughly fed up with it. Definitely a retrograde step by KLM.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Ardecos
Earlier this year I flew on a 777-200 to Rio de Janiero in Economy comfort. It was pre-upgrade and so was 3-3-3 configuration. It was fine. Last Friday I flew on one of the "upgraded" 777-200s to Atlanta and it was much worse, even though I was in an Economy Comfort seat. I was crushed up against the passenger next to me and as I was in an aisle seat I was constantly hit by trolleys driven by the cabin crew. This was not their fault as the aisles are now so narrow; in fact they looked thoroughly fed up with it. Definitely a retrograde step by KLM.
My return flight from Atlanta last night was on a Delta 747 and the seats looked very similar to the new KLM ones. The seating was also 3-4-3 although the aisles were a bit wider than the KLM 777-200.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: AY-G, TK*S, AB-S, EY, LH, DL, UA, BA, AA, all hotel programmes
Which seat would you recommend to a very tall person on the new 772? Row 10 and of course 10HJK are already taken? I believe that the exit row 31 is probably the best, but window, middle or aisle considering the narrowness (aisle getting bumbed by other pax at night, window/door cold or narrow on shoulder)
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Anyone have experience with row 31? Worth the extra $100 for a 10 hour flight? Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by greg0ire
Anyone have experience with row 31? Worth the extra $100 for a 10 hour flight? Thanks!
It depends on how much you value legroom and how much you value a regular seat back table. I'd probably go for it so I can stretch out and just knock myself out to sleep, but if you are looking to get work done or otherwise enjoy a table an eco comfort seat that's not in an exit row might be nicer.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Originally Posted by caliform
It depends on how much you value legroom and how much you value a regular seat back table. I'd probably go for it so I can stretch out and just knock myself out to sleep, but if you are looking to get work done or otherwise enjoy a table an eco comfort seat that's not in an exit row might be nicer.
Thank you. I am okay with everything you mentioned. My fear is the activity in front and next to my seat as well as the temperature. To choose seats in row 14 would be $140.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by greg0ire
Thank you. I am okay with everything you mentioned. My fear is the activity in front and next to my seat as well as the temperature. To choose seats in row 14 would be $140.
I always run warm so the slight bit of cold doesn't bother me. I do find the seats very narrow, which is annoying. But that's economy for ya.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.