FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   Destination Rumors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/555456-destination-rumors.html)

jetBlueNYFL May 5, 2006 9:27 pm

Destination Rumors

Again, these are RUMORS...anything is possible and nothing is official until (if and when) the actual announcement.

Also, please post any rumors you may have heard.

The source for these is from a crewmember I was speaking to.

1) New Caribbean Destinations possible: Aruba, St. Thomas, St. Croix

2) Connecting AUS to MCO

3) MCO a base by years end and a gateway to the Caribbean

4) This is something more well known: connecting AUS to San Jose, CA

5) AUS to BUR?

5) American Airlines is pulling out of Chicago Midway (hint, hint?)

Again, anything is possible as we have seen from the past. I, personally, would expect more east coast markets to be connected. Also, does anyone know whats going on with Cancun? I know jetBlue applied back in Nov./Dec. to start nonstop JFK-Cancun service...did they not get it YET because of the hurricanes or possibly Spirit?

LoneStarMike May 6, 2006 1:27 am

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL

2) Connecting AUS to MCO

[SNIP]

5) AUS to BUR?

I haven't heard any rumors, but JetBlue seems to be doing well in AUS. I don't know what kind of yields they're getting, but they are managing to fill the majority of their seats.

You can go to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics and look at the on time summary statistics for B6 in AUS to determine how many flights B6 operated in and out of AUS for the month.

Choose "origin Airport" and when that screen comes up, enter AUS for the airport and JetBlue for the airline in the drop-down tables. Then enter your date range. (ex: January 19 through January 31, 2006 - the number of days jetBlue operated out of AUS in January.). The table that comes up will sub total B6 flights at the bottom (51) That's how many departures B6 operated from AUS in January.

Then go back and do the same thing only this time choose "destination airport" and repeat the above process. B6 had 52 arrivals at AUS in January for a total of 103 total flights.

Multiply 103 total flights by 100 seats on each flight and you come up with 10,300 available B6 seats in and out of AUS during the month of January.

Then, you can go here to see how many B6 passengers traveled in and out of AUS by month. In January, B6 flew 6,406 passengers in and out of AUS.

6,405 passengers flown divided by 10,300 available seats = 62.18% of all available B6 AUS seats filled - not bad for the first 13 days of new service by a new carrier.

Statistics for February show much improvement.

There were 112 departures and 112 arrivals for a total of 224 B6 flights at AUS in February which translates into 22,400 available seats. JetBlue carried 17,1777 passengers at AUS in February.

17, 177 passengers divided by 22,400 available seats = 76.68% of all available B6 AUS seats filled in February.

Historically, January and February aren't busy months for AUS, but March is either the second or third busiest month and BTS released their March statistics earlier this week.

There were 124 departures and 124 arrivals for a total of 248 B6 flights at AUS in March which translates into 24,800 available seats. JetBlue carried 21,362 passengers at AUS in March.

21,362 passengers divided by 24,800 available seats = 86.13% of all available B6 AUS seats filled for March.

The WCIT (World Congress on Information Technology) just wrapped up a 5 day conerence here in Austin with over 2000 delegates from 80 countries attending and it's hoped that this will bring new technology business to the city.

One of the articles I read earlier about WCIT mentioned that Austin ranked third as a US Technology center behind the Silicon Valley and Boston, so I think a SJC-AUS might work. I think AA is the only carrier that offers nonstop service in this market and it's 3 or 4 daily.

I believe SEA is Austin's most popular destination without nonstop service by any carrier, so that might be another route they could consider. There were 338 travelers per day on this route according to Q3 2005 statistics - the latest available.

OAK is another airport that has no nonstop service from AUS. FLL also doesn't have nonstop service. Since B6 already offers one daily OAK-FLL flight, why not supplement that with a one-stop OAK-AUS-FLL trip? That would give AUS nonstop service to two new cities and would add another freqency in the OAK-FLL market although it wouldn't be a nonstop.

The only nonstop service to Florida AUS currently has is one daily WN nonstop to TPA and one to MCO. Everything else requires a connection through HOU, DFW, IAH, MEM, or ATL.

Re: AUS - BUR

The Texas Film Commission is headquartered in Austin and we also have The Austin Flim Commission. which reports

For the past.six years, MovieMaker magazine has named Austin among the top moviemaking cities in the country. In 2004,.the Capital City.topped the list of "Top 10 Cities for Moviemakers" and took the #2 spot this year and last, just behind New York City.

More than.350 major features and made-for-television movies have been filmed in Austin over the past 20 years, not including.hundreds of.commercials and independent projects.

I think an AUS - BUR would work.

Unfortunately, didn't JetBlue recently say it was going to concentrate more on short-hauol flights? If so, that may rule out the longer-haul routes from AUS like SJC and BUR.

It will be interesting to see what JetBlue does the rest of the year.

Mike

ChugiakAk May 7, 2006 1:17 am

Bur-mco

While checking in for an Alaska Airlines flight on Wednesday, saw a sign at the JetBlue counter announcing new service from Burbank to Orlando.

jetBlueNYFL May 7, 2006 2:02 am

Originally Posted by ChugiakAk
While checking in for an Alaska Airlines flight on Wednesday, saw a sign at the JetBlue counter announcing new service from Burbank to Orlando.

Yes, nonstop BUR-MCO begins June 30, 2006. However, I am talking about Destination "Rumors"...not cities already offiially announced.

BUR-MCO will be an exciting nonstop route though.

NYGabriel May 7, 2006 11:22 pm

Yes, nonstop BUR-MCO begins June 30, 2006. However, I am talking about Destination "Rumors"...not cities already offiially announced.

BUR-MCO will be an exciting nonstop route though.

Just curious...what makes this route so "exciting" ?

jetBlueNYFL May 8, 2006 1:30 am

Originally Posted by NYGabriel
Just curious...what makes this route so "exciting" ?

I didn't say SO exciting. I said it will be an exciting route. What will be exciting is that BUR is an upscale market and that area of California has close connections to Orlando, FL -- both Disney AND Universal have MAJOR theme parks in those city pairs. There is not much direct competition on this route either.

I think you just deceived the word "exciting" in the wrong way. Any new routets that have a good chance of being profitable is "exciting" and welcomed news for jetBlue.

prhs1989 May 8, 2006 3:54 pm

Again, these are RUMORS...anything is possible and nothing is official until (if and when) the actual announcement.

Also, please post any rumors you may have heard.

1) New Caribbean Destinations possible: Aruba, St. Thomas, St. Croix

2) Connecting AUS to MCO

5) AUS to BUR?

5) American Airlines is pulling out of Chicago Midway (hint, hint?)

Again, anything is possible as we have seen from the past. I, personally, would expect more east coast markets to be connected. Also, does anyone know whats going on with Cancun? I know jetBlue applied back in Nov./Dec. to start nonstop JFK-Cancun service...did they not get it YET because of the hurricanes or possibly Spirit?

Just to add more fuel to the fire:

According to airliners.net, the hot rumor is Savannah. Apparently, there is a ticket counter being repainted dark blue and the baggage offices are being cleaned up and prepared for a new entrant. The other rumor that I believe is most likely is Miami. However, that probably wouldn't be until October. Also, SAT was supposedly neck and neck with AUS when it was announced, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it added soon. Look for more connecting the dots and Boston expansion.

There have also been rumblings about Aruba and St. Thomas. I haven't heard of St. Croix before.

I like the idea of expanding Austin. I wonder if they would make it a mid-western hub for their 190's. It would allow a connection between the east and west, and it is a perfect market for the 100 seaters. However, I heard that they are changing the planes to 320's for the summer.

I also believe that MCO may encounter a large growth for Jetblue. They have acquired two more gates, which brings the total to 4. Plus, they have JetblueU and a maintenance hanger down there. Plus, they probably would have liked to expand out of FLL, but with the lack of gate space, and the Caribbean expansion by Spirit and US, MCO may be primed for expansion.

Finally, I don't believe that B6 would go to MDW. American only had 1 gate (I believe leased from CO), so that couldn't support the midwestern hub that Jetblue craves. They really want 4 gates at ORD, but that is unlikely, unless someone goes bellyup. I think that it is more likely that Jetblue could start a central hub at STL, ICT, OKC, or Milwaukee.

marlborobell May 9, 2006 6:20 am

Originally Posted by prhs1989
I think that it is more likely that Jetblue could start a central hub at STL, ICT, OKC, or Milwaukee.

... of those, STL would be the most obvious -- lots of spare gates since AA scaled back, a pretty good O&D market, a brand new runway.

The biggest downside would be that they would inevitably be going head-to-head with WN, which they've studiously avoided up until now.

jetBlueNYFL May 9, 2006 11:44 am

prhs1989, Everything you said is right on to what I've been hearing lately! I would be willing to bet on SAV to be announced yet. There are just so many cities with such few resources to expand to! I also think MSP would be a winner. I wonder when MCO will officially be designated as a "focus city."

In terms of connecting the dots, jumping away from totally new cities for a second, I think that BOS-JAX will be connected.

I heard rumors about RNO being added, but I think they are trying to focus on the eas right now.

prhs1989 May 9, 2006 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by marlborobell
... of those, STL would be the most obvious -- lots of spare gates since AA scaled back, a pretty good O&D market, a brand new runway.

The biggest downside would be that they would inevitably be going head-to-head with WN, which they've studiously avoided up until now.

I agree that STL would be the most likely. With all of the open space, I bet STL would be willing to give a pretty nice incentive to a new carrier.

Competing with WN could be a problem, but the fact is that they will face off eventually. They have coincided for the last half decade by staying out of each other's way. However, Southwest is now expanding more in the East and in major markets, which is where Jetblue is going to expand. Jetblue can't live in permanent fear of Southwest.

prhs1989 May 9, 2006 12:38 pm

prhs1989, Everything you said is right on to what I've been hearing lately! I would be willing to bet on SAV to be announced yet. There are just so many cities with such few resources to expand to! I also think MSP would be a winner. I wonder when MCO will officially be designated as a "focus city."

In terms of connecting the dots, jumping away from totally new cities for a second, I think that BOS-JAX will be connected.

I heard rumors about RNO being added, but I think they are trying to focus on the eas right now.

I had heard the RNO rumor, but they may have cooled down. Right now, I would expect no expansion west of the Mississippi or Texas. I like the idea of MSP. Jetblue could make some noise in any Northwest market, but, right now, it may not be a good idea to get into a rock bottom fare war.

I was surprised that BOS wasn't announced with JAX. If I had to guess, I would say that BOS would receive service from:

1)MSY
2)JAX
3)RDU
4)SAN

mlraa1 May 9, 2006 1:34 pm

[QUOTE=prhs1989]I agree that STL would be the most likely. With all of the open space, I bet STL would be willing to give a pretty nice incentive to a new carrier.

STL would welcome JetBlue with open arms! AA would not be able to put up much of a defense (they have bigger fish to fry) and WN's coach product is inferior. The connection of East and West coast operations alone and connection of mid-tier markets would be the best way to utilize every existing station to it's fullest potential. STL will soon have concourse B (10 gates) and D (15 gates) open as AA is consolidationg their B operations into C this fall.

JetBlueFA May 9, 2006 4:11 pm

This rumor can be crossed off as it has been confirmed by management. Inflight and Pilot Crews should start getting based in MCO by December '06 maybe even early into '07

jetBlueNYFL May 9, 2006 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
This rumor can be crossed off as it has been confirmed by management. Inflight and Pilot Crews should start getting based in MCO by December '06 maybe even early into '07

When was MCO confirmed as a "base"?? I know BOS was just recently confirmed. MCO, in my opinion, really is a "focus" city and "base" already.

N830MH May 9, 2006 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by prhs1989
I had heard the RNO rumor, but they may have cooled down. Right now, I would expect no expansion west of the Mississippi or Texas. I like the idea of MSP. Jetblue could make some noise in any Northwest market, but, right now, it may not be a good idea to get into a rock bottom fare war.

I was surprised that BOS wasn't announced with JAX. If I had to guess, I would say that BOS would receive service from:

1)MSY
2)JAX
3)RDU
4)SAN

Yeah, I was surprised enough about B6 wasn't announced more nonstop from JAX-BOS pax need connecting to west coast flight. Those are 4 new nonstop didn't announced to RDU, MSY, SAN & PDX. They need to get beef up for more than 100 daily flights in BOS. You should try to get best idea for good populations in BOS. You should try next time that if I hear get me more news from Jetblue.