Wiki Posts
Search

A new T6 coming to JFK??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

A new T6 coming to JFK??

As part of the proposed $10bn overhaul of JFK airport JetBlue is beginning the process to develop the T6 space. The footprint today has the edge of T5i and some hard stands used during peak international arrivals banks. Presumably the hard stands would convert to contact gates to better accommodate passengers, both for JetBlue and partner airlines.

JetBlue also wants an option on the T7 rebuild. BA currently holds the management contract/lease there but it is up in 2022.

http://blog.wandr.me/2017/07/jetblue...nal-jfk-t6-t7/
http://blueir.investproductions.com/...2017-130016309

Link to my analysis/opinions on the possibilities
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: Free agent
Just in time for those A321LRs to roll off the line and bring us Mint to LHR/LGW eh?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:31 am

Maybe they can even build a mint lounge or at least have one where priority pass members can go to. I would imagine EK would be relocated along with some others. Hopefully some of the Oneworld airlines that are now in T7/T8 will also be in this new terminal setup, since I really don't like flying out of them right now.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Just in time for those A321LRs to roll off the line and bring us Mint to LHR/LGW eh?
Not gonna be LHR. I'd bet big money on that.

Also, on the earnings call just now JBLU says "T5 and T5i provide great infrastructure. We have enough gate space at the moment."

Also on the call, "No specific plans as yet. We're talking about something that would be coming to fruition in the middle of the next decade."

Originally Posted by tphuang
Maybe they can even build a mint lounge or at least have one where priority pass members can go to. I would imagine EK would be relocated along with some others.
I think an EK move would be harder than some of the other partners with the A380 demand. But possible.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by sbm12

Also, on the earnings call just now JBLU says "T5 and T5i provide great infrastructure. We have enough gate space at the moment."

Also on the call, "No specific plans as yet. We're talking about something that would be coming to fruition in the middle of the next decade."

I think an EK move would be harder than some of the other partners with the A380 demand. But possible.
I agree with LHR not being in the cards. LGW seems doable, they were touring other regional airports IIRC as well.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:34 pm
Suspended

What is the massive tripod arm in the left-bottom corner of the picture?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOSTravels
What is the massive tripod arm in the left-bottom corner of the picture?
PANYNJ rendering of a revised T8 structure.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
I agree with that, but at some point they might have to cross that line and shell out money for LHR slots if they want to get some of the large corporate contracts. LGW is fine to start off, but LTN and STN would be a no-go for corporate clients imo.

I think if A380 gates will be in the plans if they take over both T6 and T7, which could potentially allow BA to stay in T7 and fly their A380s into JFK. But just pure speculations on my part.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

I agree with that, but at some point they might have to cross that line and shell out money for LHR slots if they want to get some of the large corporate contracts. LGW is fine to start off, but LTN and STN would be a no-go for corporate clients imo.
Something like 80% of the company's revenue is from leisure travelers. It is even >50% in BOS. I'm pretty sure they'll settle on the biz contracts for TATL stuff, at least at the LHR level.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:42 am

With the T5 expansion can they bring back an exit on the Departure level?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
With the T5 expansion can they bring back an exit on the Departure level?
If there's a new entrance built at the far end (i.e. old T6 area) then theoretically an exit could be part of the design. But that all depends on what they decide to do.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
I agree with LHR not being in the cards. LGW seems doable, they were touring other regional airports IIRC as well.
Right again, it won't be LHR. Is way too far off! I don't think going to LHR. Due to slot restrictions. Besides, I think they will be at Gatwick instead. It would be a logical choice.

I think if A380 gates will be in the plans if they take over both T6 and T7, which could potentially allow BA to stay in T7 and fly their A380s into JFK. But just pure speculations on my part.
No, I think BA will relocate it to AA T8. So JetBlue will take over by replacing BA T7.

As for LHR, is way too far off. I don't think it's happening. However, I think they will be at LGW instead. Due to slot restrictions.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
Unpopular opinion but I'd rather see funds focused on getting more slots in the Midwest before something like this. I can't even begin to tell you how many Delta and WN flights I've had to take this year because JetBlue doesn't serve the route I'm flying.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RWPrincess
Unpopular opinion but I'd rather see funds focused on getting more slots in the Midwest before something like this. I can't even begin to tell you how many Delta and WN flights I've had to take this year because JetBlue doesn't serve the route I'm flying.
There are no "slots" to be bought in the midwest; those airports are all free access. The problem is JFK/LGA. And I doubt there are sufficient slots moving on the free market to be worth JetBlue looking at buying.

That said, I'm pretty sure the UA/DL deal from a couple years ago fell apart when EWR dropped slot controls. I wonder if UA still has that handful to unload.

Also, presumably the terminal expansion for partner use is revenue positive over the long term based on gate fees, concessions and such. CapEx up front to build it but paid back over time through operational revenues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.