Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Perfect Poached Eggs on JetBlue Mint

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: TrueBlue Mosaic, Miles & More Silver, MileagePlus Silver, MarcoPolo Silver, HHonors Gold

Making poached eggs is not terribly hard, but it does take a little bit of practice to get them into a single coherent unit with the yolk just right, and served at the right temperature. The process typically involves boiling water with a little bit of vinegar in it, swirling it around, dropping the egg in, then taking it out at exactly the right time, and either serving immediately or putting them on ice to stop the cooking process. Reheating these eggs in a microwave is typically not recommended as that could solidify the yolk.

This process is somewhat involved, which is why I've never expected to have poached eggs as part of my inflight meal.

Flying JetBlue Mint, SFO-BOS, seat 1A, booked at the last minute raised my level of respect for both the chefs on the ground as well as the crew doing final prep.

Breakfast service included poached eggs in a chicken and sweet potato curry, and the eggs were cooked perfectly, and served at exactly the right temperature. The albumen was a perfect cloud surrounding a yolk that was completely fluid.

Colour me impressed. After my meal, I'd completely forgotten about the fact that the flight was delayed by over an hour after everyone had boarded. More about that in a different post.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I have flown Mint a couple of times and was totally impressed by their Gluten Free menu. I don't understand how other US based airlines cannot even manage to serve a decent salad with a decent dressing let alone a perfectly done poached egg.
Old May 5, 2017, 1:51 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Mint food really is something else. According to an FA I talked to recently, they prepare the food about an hour before scheduled departure and use rather complex packaging which varies per meal to ensure it stays perfect.

It's some of the best food I've enjoyed in the air. I had an orecchiette pasta recently that was actually great. In a plane. Insane.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by caliform
Mint food really is something else. According to an FA I talked to recently, they prepare the food about an hour before scheduled departure and use rather complex packaging which varies per meal to ensure it stays perfect.

It's some of the best food I've enjoyed in the air. I had an orecchiette pasta recently that was actually great. In a plane. Insane.
+1. Mint food would, in most cases, actually be something I'd be happy with in a restaurant on the ground. I would put it ahead of anything else I've ever had on a plane in any class, on any length flight, including a number of international business and first class flights on US and international airlines.

I also think the consistency of the service in Mint is miles ahead of any legacy airline I've been on, particularly AA and BA.

Overall it is a great product, and when you factor in the price in most cases, an extraordinary value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.