FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   Lack of Chicago presence (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/1729639-lack-chicago-presence.html)

TMM1982 Dec 7, 2015 2:39 am

Lack of Chicago presence

Any reason why JetBlue has yet to get into O'Hare on more than a few New York/Boston/San Juan flights? As someone who is a resident of the Chicago area, I'm so sick of the crappy flights from American and United. The worst airlines in the world.

sbm12 Dec 7, 2015 5:37 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 25824626)
Any reason why JetBlue has yet to get into O'Hare on more than a few New York/Boston/San Juan flights?

I'd bet that a decent portion of the reason has to do with the other competition; NK is the 3rd largest carrier at ORD.

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 25824626)
The worst airlines in the world.

You should probably get out into the world more if you truly believe that.

TMM1982 Dec 7, 2015 5:47 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 25825039)
I'd bet that a decent portion of the reason has to do with the other competition; NK is the 3rd largest carrier at ORD.

I've flown a whole bunch of international airlines and United/AA are the worst. Emirates, Virgin, British Airways, and I'll be flying Singapore in the fall 2016 which I'm sure will further solidify my position.

FLIHGH Dec 7, 2015 10:10 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 25825039)

I will second the fact that UA and AA are by far close to the bottom.

sbm12 Dec 7, 2015 10:22 am

Originally Posted by FLIHGH (Post 25826195)
I will second the fact that UA and AA are by far close to the bottom.

There are a few hundred airlines in the world. If these are the worst two you've had experiences on I'm betting the sample size is very, very small.

TMM1982 Dec 7, 2015 10:37 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 25826254)
There are a few hundred airlines in the world. If these are the worst two you've had experiences on I'm betting the sample size is very, very small.

If you're talking about airlines like Ryanair, that's an apples to oranges comparison.

sbm12 Dec 7, 2015 11:29 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 25826331)
If you're talking about airlines like Ryanair, that's an apples to oranges comparison.

You called them "The worst airlines in the world." I believe that is untrue and that there are many, many others far worse. Feel free to refine the selection criteria being used, but the silly hyperbole doesn't do anyone much good.

And, FWIW, I'd probably rate Ryanair above UA in terms of consistently delivering exactly what it advertises to passengers.

TMM1982 Dec 7, 2015 11:32 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 25826611)
You called them "The worst airlines in the world." I believe that is untrue and that there are many, many others far worse. Feel free to refine the selection criteria being used, but the silly hyperbole doesn't do anyone much good.

And, FWIW, I'd probably rate Ryanair above UA in terms of consistently delivering exactly what it advertises to passengers.

Well FLIHGH also agreed with me that AA/UA are some of the worst in the world. So clearly it's a sentiment felt by more than 1.

sbm12 Dec 7, 2015 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 25826633)
Well FLIHGH also agreed with me that AA/UA are some of the worst in the world. So clearly it's a sentiment felt by more than 1.

And I addressed that challenge with both of you. You don't have to love them. But claiming them to be the "worst in the world" is baseless hyperbole which serves no real value.

TMM1982 Dec 7, 2015 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 25826952)
And I addressed that challenge with both of you. You don't have to love them. But claiming them to be the "worst in the world" is baseless hyperbole which serves no real value.

It's not hyperbole as airline rankings are all opinion based. Opinions vary. Clearly you're high on them but there is a reason why they routinely get poor marks.

AAerSTL Dec 7, 2015 4:11 pm

OP is entitled to have whatever opinions they'd like about [a] certain carrier(s). That said, B6 is largely a Northeast (BOS/JFK), Florida and LGB centric carrier. Granted they've been at ORD going on nine years but I suspect they don't have enough recognition and following to gain a significant share of the Chicago point of sale, and their service profile matches that. The Midwest is fairly new to B6 and it appears the new CLE & DTW service has been successful. Other consideration is the few markets in the Midwest B6 does serve are timed to feed partner flights at BOS/JFK. ORD of course is uniquely suited with full-scale hubs for two carriers and also many international carriers at T5 so there is likely less need to cater to those traffic flows.

sbm12 Dec 7, 2015 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 25827276)
It's not hyperbole as airline rankings are all opinion based. Opinions vary.

Yup, usually based on experiences. Hence my suggestion that if those really are the two worst a traveler has experienced worldwide they should probably fly more airlines.

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 25827276)
... there is a reason why they routinely get poor marks.

Not really on the global scale. They're quite average in that context.

beyondhere Dec 7, 2015 6:38 pm

I suppose because both UA and AA are well entrenched at ORD, that B6 chose not to make Chicago very important.

While B6 is a BOS-NYC (Northeast US), FLL, LGB and SJU focused carrier, it is a little more in DC as well.

It had some IAD flights (outside of service to the other hubs)and later it purchased DCA slots and keeps a lot of DCA routes now. Atleast with DCA, there are only so many slots held by competitors that B6 will know that US now AA can't drive B6 out by frequency, so there is some strategic benefit in keeping slots at DCA. However, I've seen dirt cheap fares on DCA-MCO and other DCA-Florida pairs, so I wonder though if there really is a lot of money from those flights, as B6 spent millions for those slots.

B6 used to fly ORD-LGB, but it ceased the service. Maybe if it merges with VX, it would inherit the marketshare of ORD-LAX/SFO from VX.

B6 was actually there in ORD before NK and F9 came along. While I don't ever expect B6 have interest in a route like ORD-PHL, it was odd to me that B6 didn't launch ORD-FLL however if not the full set of other Florida cities (MCO, TPA, PBI, RSW). With PHL, BWI, CLE and DTW getting FLL, it'd make sense for ORD and likely DFW to be linked to the FLL hub as well.

FLIHGH Dec 7, 2015 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 25828277)
Yup, usually based on experiences. Hence my suggestion that if those really are the two worst a traveler has experienced worldwide they should probably fly more airlines.

Not really on the global scale. They're quite average in that context.

If it is all based on experiences, then why does it matter if we consider them to be among the bottom? There are people who say United is the best airline in the world. Do I disagree with them? Yes, absolutely, but I let them have their opinion and move on. Personally, especially when it comes to international service, international carriers are far superior.

Originally Posted by beyondhere (Post 25828670)
I suppose because both UA and AA are well entrenched at ORD, that B6 chose not to make Chicago very important.

While B6 is a BOS-NYC (Northeast US), FLL, LGB and SJU focused carrier, it is a little more in DC as well.

It had some IAD flights (outside of service to the other hubs)and later it purchased DCA slots and keeps a lot of DCA route now . Atleast with DCA, there are only so many slots held by competitors that B6 will know that US now AA can't drive B6 out by frequency, so there is some strategic benefit in keeping slots at DCA. However, I've seen dirt cheap fares on DCA-MCO and other DCA-Florida pairs, so I wonder though if there really is a lot of money from those flights, as B6 spent millions for those slots.

B6 used to fly ORD-LGB, but it ceased the service. Maybe if it merges with VX, it would inherit the marketshare of ORD-LAX/SFO from VX.

B6 was actually there in ORD before NK and F9 came along. While I don't ever expect B6 have interest in a route like ORD-PHL, it was odd to me that B6 didn't launch ORD-FLL however if not the full set of other Florida cities (MCO, TPA, PBI, RSW). With PHL, BWI, CLE and DTW getting FLL, it'd make sense for ORD and likely DFW to be linked to the FLL hub as well.

WN has added many flights to Florida destinations, driving prices down a bit. Prices from DC-Florida are far higher than they were years ago when JetBlue had IAD-MCO/FLL flights.

beyondhere Dec 7, 2015 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by FLIHGH (Post 25828736)
WN has added many flights to Florida destinations, driving prices down a bit. Prices from DC-Florida are far higher than they were years ago when JetBlue had IAD-MCO/FLL flights.

Perhaps the deep discounting that I saw this year was done to drive off Frontier that ran a bunch of Florida routes but over from IAD. It appeared to work that Frontier now only has 1x daily of IAD-MCO, as JetBlue and US/AA were fare matching DCA-Florida to Frontier's IAD-Florida even with Frontier charging for a carry-on bag. I'm not sure if JetBlue started the aggressive fare matching or if US/AA did.

WN doesn't get as aggressive fare matching NK or F9, unless AA or B6 is involved.

Trying to bring this back to ORD, but it might be harder for B6 to launch some ORD-Florida routes now given that AA and UA have been fare matching NK and F9 on Florida. It might make it even harder for B6 to figure it's place in such environment.