FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   JetBlue considering service from ALB (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/1550721-jetblue-considering-service-alb.html)

insomniac950 Feb 11, 2014 12:22 am

JetBlue considering service from ALB

http://blog.timesunion.com/business/...-albany/58905/

Looks like Schumer might finally get his way and have another low cost carrier at ALB.

N830MH Feb 11, 2014 1:15 am

I think they will fly ALB-FLL/MCO or BOS. You won't know for sure. Nobody who know about this.

rtalk25 Feb 11, 2014 11:25 am

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 22326664)
I think they will fly ALB-FLL/MCO or BOS. You won't know for sure. Nobody who know about this.

ALB-BOS is driveable within 3 hours. I think ALB-FLL/MCO.

The wildcard is ALB-DCA as B6 has acquired more DCA slots.

Dieuwer Feb 11, 2014 11:27 am

Originally Posted by insomniac950 (Post 22326525)
http://blog.timesunion.com/business/...-albany/58905/

Looks like Schumer might finally get his way and have another low cost carrier at ALB.

:rolleyes:

insomniac950 Feb 11, 2014 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 22329399)
:rolleyes:

I suppose "low cost" is relative to which city you're flying too and from. ;)

FLIHGH Feb 11, 2014 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by rtalk25 (Post 22329383)

I was actually running this through my head, as well. Southwest does great on its ALB-BWI route.

JHIN Feb 12, 2014 11:08 pm

Albany is outrageously priced! The need B6 to offer BOS or JFK to get broad national connections. SYR-JFK uses E170's so why not ALB? I tend to fly into NYC then take the train up as its cheaper then flying into ALB.

littlemookie Feb 13, 2014 6:57 am

Originally Posted by JHIN (Post 22339831)
Albany is outrageously priced! The need B6 to offer BOS or JFK to get broad national connections. SYR-JFK uses E170's so why not ALB? I tend to fly into NYC then take the train up as its cheaper then flying into ALB.

I don't see why B6 would fly from ALB to FLL/MCO. If US can fly from JFK/LGA/EWR to PHL about 20x a day, mostly just for ferrying passengers to it's PHL hub, why can't B6 throw a E190 on a ALB-JFK route and run it 2-3x a day. If you make it cheap enough, you may even win over a decent number of passengers who currently take Amtrak into NYC.

If I'm reading the article in the OP right, then B6 is going to have to start flying to ALB. Schumer is a very powerful NY politician, and B6 is a NY airline (Their 10K filing calls NY their largest market, with 40% of revenue related to NY)

jrbb1234 Feb 13, 2014 8:24 am

Hopefully they add a flight to BOS. The connections should be easier and JetBlue has a number of partners that fly out of BOS. Other than Greyhound and a long distance Amtrak train, there is no other way to get between the cities other than driving. ALB-NYC already has frequent Amtrak service, Bolt Bus and a ALB-EWR flight. Run a E-190 back and forth all day and see if it works. Other carriers have struggled with the BOS-NYC routes in the past.

YNWA20 Feb 23, 2014 10:54 am

Originally Posted by jrbb1234 (Post 22341539)
Hopefully they add a flight to BOS. The connections should be easier and JetBlue has a number of partners that fly out of BOS. Other than Greyhound and a long distance Amtrak train, there is no other way to get between the cities other than driving. ALB-NYC already has frequent Amtrak service, Bolt Bus and a ALB-EWR flight. Run a E-190 back and forth all day and see if it works. Other carriers have struggled with the BOS-NYC routes in the past.

Probably not what you had in mind, but jetBlue partner Cape Air offers ALB-BOS flights.

StevenSeagalFan Feb 23, 2014 11:35 am

ALB-NAS

sbm12 Feb 24, 2014 9:29 am

If it happens I'd expect FLL/MCO and maybe TPA. And that's a big if.

diburning Feb 25, 2014 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by rtalk25 (Post 22329383)

So is JFK-PHL. There is actually an airline that flies BOS-ALB.

Originally Posted by YNWA20 (Post 22402100)
Probably not what you had in mind, but jetBlue partner Cape Air offers ALB-BOS flights.

And if they can make it profitable enough to keep it running, then the demand is there.

jrbb1234 Feb 26, 2014 8:42 am

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 22415401)
So is JFK-PHL. There is actually an airline that flies BOS-ALB.

And if they can make it profitable enough to keep it running, then the demand is there.

I think the Cape Air flights from BOS-ALB are part of the EAS service that continues from ALB to Massena, NY and Odensburg, NY. BOS-OGS (stopping in ALB, same plane) is $99/one way. BOS-ALB is $229/one day. Pricing is the same almost every day I looked. I'm guessing they get a subsidy for the BOS-OGS travelers, but nothing for the BOS-ALB travelers.

Letitride3c Feb 27, 2014 7:27 am

From Sunday-Friday, early AM and early evening DCA-ALB on E170's with per diem / gov't rates for the lobbying commuters to shuttle back-n-forth.

Chucky & staff (and others with offices in ALB) would be FT's on this route - especially when "things" are in session. Otherwise, I don't see much leisure travelers flying in/out of ALB on a daily basis - it's faster & easier to drive or go Amtrak between ALB and NYC, downtown to downtown in under 4 hours in extra wide coach seating with plenty of legroom & free WiFi, etc.

Still don't see it emerging as a hub or even as a viable feeder from a P&L standpoint as I would be worried about on-time performance during the winter months.