Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue considering service from ALB

Old Feb 11, 14, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, United Gold

http://blog.timesunion.com/business/...-albany/58905/

Looks like Schumer might finally get his way and have another low cost carrier at ALB.
Old Feb 11, 14, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I think they will fly ALB-FLL/MCO or BOS. You won't know for sure. Nobody who know about this.
Old Feb 11, 14, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
I think they will fly ALB-FLL/MCO or BOS. You won't know for sure. Nobody who know about this.
ALB-BOS is driveable within 3 hours. I think ALB-FLL/MCO.

The wildcard is ALB-DCA as B6 has acquired more DCA slots.
Old Feb 11, 14, 11:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by insomniac950 View Post
http://blog.timesunion.com/business/...-albany/58905/

Looks like Schumer might finally get his way and have another low cost carrier at ALB.
Old Feb 11, 14, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, United Gold
Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
I suppose "low cost" is relative to which city you're flying too and from.
Old Feb 11, 14, 8:13 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by rtalk25 View Post

I was actually running this through my head, as well. Southwest does great on its ALB-BWI route.
Old Feb 12, 14, 11:08 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Albany is outrageously priced! The need B6 to offer BOS or JFK to get broad national connections. SYR-JFK uses E170's so why not ALB? I tend to fly into NYC then take the train up as its cheaper then flying into ALB.
Old Feb 13, 14, 6:57 am

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JHIN View Post
Albany is outrageously priced! The need B6 to offer BOS or JFK to get broad national connections. SYR-JFK uses E170's so why not ALB? I tend to fly into NYC then take the train up as its cheaper then flying into ALB.
I don't see why B6 would fly from ALB to FLL/MCO. If US can fly from JFK/LGA/EWR to PHL about 20x a day, mostly just for ferrying passengers to it's PHL hub, why can't B6 throw a E190 on a ALB-JFK route and run it 2-3x a day. If you make it cheap enough, you may even win over a decent number of passengers who currently take Amtrak into NYC.

If I'm reading the article in the OP right, then B6 is going to have to start flying to ALB. Schumer is a very powerful NY politician, and B6 is a NY airline (Their 10K filing calls NY their largest market, with 40% of revenue related to NY)
Old Feb 13, 14, 8:24 am

Hopefully they add a flight to BOS. The connections should be easier and JetBlue has a number of partners that fly out of BOS. Other than Greyhound and a long distance Amtrak train, there is no other way to get between the cities other than driving. ALB-NYC already has frequent Amtrak service, Bolt Bus and a ALB-EWR flight. Run a E-190 back and forth all day and see if it works. Other carriers have struggled with the BOS-NYC routes in the past.
Old Feb 23, 14, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by jrbb1234 View Post
Hopefully they add a flight to BOS. The connections should be easier and JetBlue has a number of partners that fly out of BOS. Other than Greyhound and a long distance Amtrak train, there is no other way to get between the cities other than driving. ALB-NYC already has frequent Amtrak service, Bolt Bus and a ALB-EWR flight. Run a E-190 back and forth all day and see if it works. Other carriers have struggled with the BOS-NYC routes in the past.
Probably not what you had in mind, but jetBlue partner Cape Air offers ALB-BOS flights.
Old Feb 23, 14, 11:35 am

Programs: Costco Club
ALB-NAS
Old Feb 24, 14, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it happens I'd expect FLL/MCO and maybe TPA. And that's a big if.
Old Feb 25, 14, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by rtalk25 View Post

So is JFK-PHL. There is actually an airline that flies BOS-ALB.

Originally Posted by YNWA20 View Post
Probably not what you had in mind, but jetBlue partner Cape Air offers ALB-BOS flights.
And if they can make it profitable enough to keep it running, then the demand is there.
Old Feb 26, 14, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
So is JFK-PHL. There is actually an airline that flies BOS-ALB.

And if they can make it profitable enough to keep it running, then the demand is there.

I think the Cape Air flights from BOS-ALB are part of the EAS service that continues from ALB to Massena, NY and Odensburg, NY. BOS-OGS (stopping in ALB, same plane) is $99/one way. BOS-ALB is $229/one day. Pricing is the same almost every day I looked. I'm guessing they get a subsidy for the BOS-OGS travelers, but nothing for the BOS-ALB travelers.
Old Feb 27, 14, 7:27 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
From Sunday-Friday, early AM and early evening DCA-ALB on E170's with per diem / gov't rates for the lobbying commuters to shuttle back-n-forth.

Chucky & staff (and others with offices in ALB) would be FT's on this route - especially when "things" are in session. Otherwise, I don't see much leisure travelers flying in/out of ALB on a daily basis - it's faster & easier to drive or go Amtrak between ALB and NYC, downtown to downtown in under 4 hours in extra wide coach seating with plenty of legroom & free WiFi, etc.

Still don't see it emerging as a hub or even as a viable feeder from a P&L standpoint as I would be worried about on-time performance during the winter months.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: