Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue to Allow Family Point Pooling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite

https://trueblue.jetblue.com/web/tru...family-pooling

JetBlue rolls out pool-your-points program
http://www.travelmole.com/news_featu...=setreg&region

In a new wrinkle on the ever-popular airline frequent flyer programs, JetBlue this morning rolled out Family Pooling, a program that allows families and small groups to share their TrueBlue points in a group account.

"Families" can consist of up to two adults and up to five children under the age of 21.

That can include family members, same sex partners or a couple of friends, the airline says.

JetBlue will celebrate the launch of the program tomorrow with a Family Pooling Carnival in Terminal 5 of New York's JFK Airport.

Timed to coincide with Columbus Day weekend, it will offer carnival games, face painting and customized photo shoots.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Nice! Just received the email. This, coupled with non-expiring points, certainly lifts the status of their frequent flyer program for our family.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyaxa
Nice! Just received the email. This, coupled with non-expiring points, certainly lifts the status of their frequent flyer program for our family.
Agreed. I'm liking this new family pooling plan from JetBlue a lot. Among other things, redeem for anyone (not just members of the family) and the ability for members to control how many points they contribute to the pool and how many they keep personal. Lots of good happening here.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:23 pm

Not sure how useful it will be to me personally, but I definitely like the change. Less restrictive loyalty programs is always a good thing.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: US SP, JetBlue Mosaic, AMEX Plat
This is unprecedented in frequent flyer programs, right?

So me, and my partner, and two kids could all book paid flights and have the kids set to contribute 100% of their points to the pool. Then at some point, my partner and I could book two award flights for just ourselves, using points contributed to the pool by the kids.... all with no fees.

Way cool. Way cool.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by MPScan
British Air has a "Household Account" and I believe you can combine Hawaiian Airlines miles if you have one of their credit cards. Flying families can build up a lot of orphan miles so this is pretty solid for us.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:50 pm

pooling plan

appears you have to pay fees after the first transfer. and you have to commit to transferring a certain amount each time you earn miles. check the fine print.

hope I am wrong. but not such a great deal if I am right.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 6:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Joanel
appears you have to pay fees after the first transfer. and you have to commit to transferring a certain amount each time you earn miles. check the fine print.

I think the keyword is contribute vs. transfer.

Here is how I'm interpreting it.

A member can designate a percentage of points to go to the Family Pool and can change that percentage only once per year.

Let's say a member only designate 40% to family pool. A member can subsequently transfer their own stash (60%) points from their own account to the family pool but would have to pay a fee.

If you accept an invitation from a Head of Household to join a Family Pooling account, you must agree to contribute at least ten percent (10%) of all of the TrueBlue Points that you earn after the Family Creation Date to the Family Pooling account. YOUR CONTRIBUTION PERCENTAGE SELECTION MAY NOT BE CHANGED FOR AT LEAST ONE (1) YEAR AFTER THE FAMILY CREATION DATE. YOU CAN ONLY CHANGE YOUR CONTRIBUTION PERCENTAGE ONE (1) TIME PER YEAR, BEGINNING ONE (1) YEAR AFTER YOUR FAMILY CREATION DATE.
You also have the option upon accepting an invitation to join a Family Pooling account to make a one-time, no-fee transfer of any amount of TrueBlue Points in your individual TrueBlue account to the Family Pooling account. ANY TRANSFER OF TRUEBLUE POINTS FROM YOUR INDIVIDUAL TRUEBLUE ACCOUNT TO A FAMILY POOLING ACCOUNT IS NON-REFUNDABLE. Any TrueBlue Point transfers you make after accepting the Family Pooling invitation will be subject to the applicable transfer fees and rules.
Your TrueBlue dashboard will give you access to a "My Family" tab, which will display each Family Pooling account member's contribution to the Family Pooling account.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 6:52 am

jet blue transfer or contribute

Would be nice to be sure. any way to really find out??
Old Oct 11, 2013, 7:07 am
Original Member

The T&C I posted pretty much spells it out and I just enrolled my spouse and kids.

When an invite joins, they are asked what percentage of they current balance they want contribute to the Family Pool (essentially it gets transferred to the head of household). They also asked what percentage they want to transfer on-going for future activity (this can only be changed once per year). There are no mention of fees of any kind.

So if you first join and you contribute 10% to the family pool and 100% ongoing, all your future points will go to the head of household. However, 90% of what you had before joining stays in your account. If you subsequently decides you want to pool that 90% you will have to pay a transfer fee.

If you select 100% to be contributed to family account when you first join, you account will become 0 when it is linked. The head of household will get your entire balance.

BA does it differently. No points are moved between family accounts. When an award is redeemed, a pro-rated portion is taken out of all family accounts. So if I'm redeeming a 10K Avios award and family account 1 has 90K and family account 2 had 10K, 9K will come out of family account 1 and 1K will come out of family account 2.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MPScan
No, though it doesn't really exist in the US market.
Originally Posted by Joanel

You get to pool initially for free. And assuming you choose to contribute all your points to the pool going forward there are no other fees. Unlike other pooling plans they let you choose to keep some private and put others in the pool. If you want to move private points to the pool at a later date you would pay the transfer rate for that but for regular earning in to the pool there is no fee. This is more flexible than what others offer, though you are correct that reading the fine print to understand what's going on is important.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: FSPP, Virtuoso, Belmond Bellini Club, STARS, Hyatt Privé, Peninsula PenClub, etc.
For whatever reason, it's taking awhile for both password resets and invitations for the 2 other family JetBlue accounts I manage. Requested password reset and sent family pooling invitations ~1 hour ago, still no sign of them in either email account/spam folder. Password resets for other sites were received, so not a problem of receiving email in general.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:48 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by TravelConcierge
For whatever reason, it's taking awhile for both password resets and invitations for the 2 other family JetBlue accounts I manage. Requested password reset and sent family pooling invitations ~1 hour ago, still no sign of them in either email account/spam folder. Password resets for other sites were received, so not a problem of receiving email in general.
No emails were sent for invites for me either. However they are unnecessary. The invitee just have to login to their TrueBlue account and the invite will be there on their dashboard to accept.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
No, though it doesn't really exist in the US market.

You get to pool initially for free. And assuming you choose to contribute all your points to the pool going forward there are no other fees. Unlike other pooling plans they let you choose to keep some private and put others in the pool. If you want to move private points to the pool at a later date you would pay the transfer rate for that but for regular earning in to the pool there is no fee. This is more flexible than what others offer, though you are correct that reading the fine print to understand what's going on is important.
Actually, it does. I know JetBlue says that it doesn't in their press-release, but they are mistaken. Hawaiian has a very simple, and to date the most liberal mile-sharing policy of them all.

Using or Redeeming Miles
How can I share my miles with my friends and family?

Sign in to your HawaiianMiles account and click on "Share Miles" under "Manage". Please remember that you are only allowed to transfer your miles or “Share Miles” to an account that is a Hawaiian Airlines Visa cardholder. You are allowed up to 10 transactions during a calendar year.
Nevertheless, it's a great development. Maybe it would make more airlines follow the suit.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Question - I just watched the video on the JB website. It mentions setting goals and using your points after you reach your goal.

Can the "family" points only be used that way or can any person(s) in the "family" use any amount of points at any time for a free ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.