Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B6 no longer refunding FET

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA CO US WN Marriott Hilton Holiday Inn Wyndham Hyatt Avis Budget Hertz National
B6 no longer refunding FET

"Because these taxes are collected by JetBlue on behalf of the federal government and remitted to the IRS, Customers may obtain a refund for federal taxes paid on qualifying flights by submitting a claim directly to the IRS. We regret that we are unable to honor any refund requests at this time."

This is in contrast to their earlier "email Dear JetBlue" and we will notify you when and how the refund will be paid. The IRS writes:

Q. If I travel on or after July 23, 2011, and I purchased my ticket on or before July 22, 2011, am I entitled to a refund for the federal air transportation excise taxes that I paid when I purchased the ticket? If so, will my airline refund the tax to me?

A. Passengers who paid for tickets on or before July 22, 2011, for travel beginning on or after July 23, 2011, may be entitled to a refund of the tax. Airlines are permitted to refund the tax to the passenger, just as they do in the ordinary course of business when issuing refunds for unused refundable tickets (including the associated taxes). Because the airlines and travel service providers already have the information about passenger ticket purchases and travel, and in many cases have payment card information that may facilitate streamlined refunds, the IRS has asked the airlines to provide refunds to eligible passengers when requested. However, passengers who are unable to obtain a refund from the airline may obtain a refund by submitting a claim to the IRS. Because the IRS has no information about passenger ticket purchases or travel dates, travelers who are unable to obtain a refund from the airline will be required to submit proof of taxes paid and travel dates to the IRS under procedures that are under development. The IRS will provide additional guidance at a later date.
I find this a little disappointing. Here's the full text of their website message.
Operations Update
Last Updated: 8/2/2011 12:57:00 PM EST

Dear JetBlue Customers,

As you know, the laws authorizing the airline ticket tax and other aviation-related taxes expired at midnight, Friday, July 22, 2011. These federal passengers air transportation excise taxes are collected by JetBlue at the time of purchase and then paid to the IRS. Customers who purchased tickets on JetBlue on or before July 22, 2011, for travel beginning on or after July 23, 2011 may be entitled to a refund of these federal taxes paid.

Because these taxes are collected by JetBlue on behalf of the federal government and remitted to the IRS, Customers may obtain a refund for federal taxes paid on qualifying flights by submitting a claim directly to the IRS. We regret that we are unable to honor any refund requests at this time.

If you would like to request a copy of your receipt to include in your refund claim to the IRS, please email us at: [email protected] with your full name and confirmation number. Please also include "Expired Tax Refund Request" in the subject line of your email. We will review your request and provide an e-receipt with which you may submit to the IRS for the tax refund. Please allow 3 to 5 business days for processing.

For more information, visit the IRS FAQ's page at http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...242812,00.html

Please continue to check back on jetblue.com for further updates.

Please note: Expired taxes will not be applied to newly booked travel on or after July 23, 2011.

Thank You.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.