Search
Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2022, 6:50 pm

I've been to Japan a few times before on business, but I've always flown into a TYO airport. I'm planning an upcoming tourism trip where my first night is in Osaka and my last night is Tokyo. My current flight lands at HND around 3:30 PM and I just planned on hopping on a Nozomi train once I got to Shinagawa station from HND. Is it worth considering flying from HND to ITM? The earliest flight I'd feel comfortable booking is ~5:30 PM. I think this puts me at my hotel in Osaka at roughly ~8:00 PM which is pretty much the same time I'd expect to get to the hotel if I used the Shinkansen.

Anyone have suggestions? The difference in price is negligible for me since I'm looking at green car with cash or 787 J with points.

Flying into KIX doesn't really work for me.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Which would be more convenient for your hotel in Osaka? I don't know if they're still operating, but long ago some of the major hotels had shuttle buses to/from the main Osaka station.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 9:46 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by jsimon926
I've been to Japan a few times before on business, but I've always flown into a TYO airport. I'm planning an upcoming tourism trip where my first night is in Osaka and my last night is Tokyo. My current flight lands at HND around 3:30 PM and I just planned on hopping on a Nozomi train once I got to Shinagawa station from HND. Is it worth considering flying from HND to ITM? The earliest flight I'd feel comfortable booking is ~5:30 PM. I think this puts me at my hotel in Osaka at roughly ~8:00 PM which is pretty much the same time I'd expect to get to the hotel if I used the Shinkansen.
Flight from HND to ITM is more convenient, as you don't have to exit the airport to catch a train to the shinkansen station and then navigate that station to catch your next train, especially with any kind of luggage. It's what locals do. ITM is a small domestic only airport, so deplaning to out the door is quick. Local flights are often much cheaper as well, though you might need to shop around a bit. From ITM there are buses into the various parts of Osaka. Here's that website.
https://www.okkbus.co.jp/en/route/itm/

As noted above, some hotels may also have direct buses from ITM.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by NYC2SGN
ExpertFlyer says the MCT for Narita is 90 minutes. But, there was also someone upthread who had a 60 minute connection.

Does anyone know what the real MCT is for Narita for Int’l to Int’l?

How much time do I need if I have to transit from T1 to T2?
The MCT depends on your specific connection, what airline to what airline, and whether it include a terminal change.

On a single ticket 1.5 to 2 hours should be fine for a terminal change. For separate tickets, you'd need to add whatever amount you feel is good to cover for potential delays and not having to pay for a new flight/rebooking in case of a delay.
NYC2SGN likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by nishimark
Flight from HND to ITM is more convenient, as you don't have to exit the airport to catch a train to the shinkansen station and then navigate that station to catch your next train, especially with any kind of luggage. It's what locals do. ITM is a small domestic only airport, so deplaning to out the door is quick. Local flights are often much cheaper as well, though you might need to shop around a bit. From ITM there are buses into the various parts of Osaka. Here's that website.
https://www.okkbus.co.jp/en/route/itm/

As noted above, some hotels may also have direct buses from ITM.
Thanks for the info. Would I have to switch terminals at HND if coming from international arrival to domestic departure? Are there separate lanes for immigration and connecting flights or do I have to do through international immigration and then go through the domestic check-in counter?
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:29 am

Programs: ANA Diamond, JAL JGC, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Thanks for the info. Would I have to switch terminals at HND if coming from international arrival to domestic departure? Are there separate lanes for immigration and connecting flights or do I have to do through international immigration and then go through the domestic check-in counter?
Currently all international flights land in T3 and T1 (JAL) and T2 (ANA) are domestic only. They are not connected airside, so you will have to clear immigration at T3 before taking a train or bus to the other terminals. There is no separate lane for connecting domestic flights.

ANA built an international section of T2, but it has not operated since the pandemic.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Only ANA
Currently all international flights land in T3 and T1 (JAL) and T2 (ANA) are domestic only. They are not connected airside, so you will have to clear immigration at T3 before taking a train or bus to the other terminals. There is no separate lane for connecting domestic flights.

ANA built an international section of T2, but it has not operated since the pandemic.
Thanks! This info makes me question if 2 hours is enough time to make the flight. I've waited in the immigration line for 3 hours at NRT before, but haven't experienced it at HND. I guess it doesn't really matter since its an award booking and I can cancel in the immigration line if needed.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The MCT depends on your specific connection, what airline to what airline, and whether it include a terminal change.

On a single ticket 1.5 to 2 hours should be fine for a terminal change. For separate tickets, you'd need to add whatever amount you feel is good to cover for potential delays and not having to pay for a new flight/rebooking in case of a delay.
it would be two separate tickets. Inbound is LX and outbound would be JL —that would mean having to change terminals within 50 minutes. JL operates a later flight to my final destination, so I could always rebook, but ideally I would rather make a run for a tight connection over spending eight hours at Narita. I won’t have any checked bags btw.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by NYC2SGN
it would be two separate tickets. Inbound is LX and outbound would be JL —that would mean having to change terminals within 50 minutes. JL operates a later flight to my final destination, so I could always rebook, but ideally I would rather make a run for a tight connection over spending eight hours at Narita. I won’t have any checked bags btw.
50 minutes is quite a challenge. Admittedly, the European morning arrivals' bank will not have as many connecting passengers compared to the afternoon North American bank, so transit security is probably a complete walk through, but you still need time to move between terminals which is about a 15 minute drive plus potential waiting time for a bus.

JAL will start boarding 20 to 25 minutes before departure, depending on plane type.
seigex and NYC2SGN like this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:54 pm

Programs: Delta
Here's the latest information provided by HND about International to Domestic transfer. You will likely have to go through immigration, then to domestic check-in. However, as shown in the web page below, "In some cases, domestic boarding procedures can be performed at the Domestic Transit Counter in Terminal 3. Please ask your airline for details."
https://tokyo-haneda.com/en/flight/transit/int_dms.html
Old Sep 6, 2022, 6:30 pm

Interestingly I have the same exact itinerary except its LAX to NRT. When will you be departing? We depart October 4 and I'm also trying to figure out what my options are.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Natasha Keswani
thanks! But that’s not correct. I called JAL and they have a baggage relationship with many airlines including EA. They assured me (after calling SFO agents to confirm) they could check my bags all the way through to Seoul despite being on two separate itineraries in different airline groups. I just need to bring printed copies of my entire itinerary.
Interestingly I have the same exact itinerary except its LAX to NRT. When will you be departing? We depart October 4 and I'm also trying to figure out what my options are.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 11:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nishimark
Here's the latest information provided by HND about International to Domestic transfer. You will likely have to go through immigration, then to domestic check-in. However, as shown in the web page below, "In some cases, domestic boarding procedures can be performed at the Domestic Transit Counter in Terminal 3. Please ask your airline for details."
https://tokyo-haneda.com/en/flight/transit/int_dms.html
I've dropped bags with ANA at T3 for a domestic ITM flight after an international arrival. It's quick, but you still need to get to your gate.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by seigex
If you can check in remotely (or even better, check all the way through at ORD, which will likely happen if you're checking bags through) and your flight has a pretty good on-time record, it should be fine. Coming from the US, you won't have any inspection, so it's just the time taking the bus. I would personally be comfortable making that connection.

I had an hour on two separate tickets coming back from BKK with checked bags and had to go through security inspection since it was inbound from SEA, and still made it to my terminal with 10 minutes to spare after 25 minutes of going through the security lines. I was in Y, but about 10 rows back from the door. That said, there's risk, so it'll come down to how much risk you are willing to handle and how fast you can be to get between terminals.

Also worth adding I was solo. If it's 2 people probably fine. If you have kids and lots of carry-on, or more than 3 people, I'd definitely move to a later connection if possible.
To confirm, flights coming from US does not require security or inspection? So i can just go straight to the transfer bus since i also will need to transfer from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by eat.drink enjoy.repeat
To confirm, flights coming from US does not require security or inspection? So i can just go straight to the transfer bus since i also will need to transfer from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1.
This is correct at NRT, they will dump you directly in to the terminal, you are not required to go through bag inspection like if you are coming from a non-US location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.