FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/)
-   -   Western chain hotels in Tokyo and Kyoto (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan/2004663-western-chain-hotels-tokyo-kyoto.html)

LapLap Feb 26, 2020 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by ShopAround (Post 32115599)
FWIW, I'm a native New Yorker, I've been using mass transit my entire life and the subways here when I was growing up in the 70s were not so safe, so I tend to naturally be more defensive than most people. My plan is to avoid rush hour as much as possible, but at the moment, I'm more concerned about a spreading virus than gropers.

You’ll already have your own detection and avoidance techniques honed and ready, but to go to Japan with your guard completely down would not be wise. Keep your wits about you, same as anywhere else.

not2017 Jul 14, 2020 2:03 pm

I have read this whole thread. We did a very similar trip in March/April 2019. We had our return flight out of Tokyo/NRT. Instead of doing the Shinkansen, we flew out of Osaka/Itami Airport. We had used Virgin miles and ANA would not give us a return from Osaka at all. Thru my trip research, I found that Osaka's domestic airport, Itami/ITM was very convenient to the city. Even better were the airfares. We paid one way airfare from ITA to NRT, of only $73. Which is far cheaper than the Shinkansen fare and put us into our outbound airport. I mention this because your plan of getting back to Tokyo is more work than we did. If you flew, this would allow you an extra night in Osaka. Allowing you to see that city as well. But, I am still wondering if you are still doing this trip, considering Covid-19?

Sandeep1 Jul 14, 2020 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by not2017 (Post 32531599)
I have read this whole thread. We did a very similar trip in March/April 2019. We had our return flight out of Tokyo/NRT. Instead of doing the Shinkansen, we flew out of Osaka/Itami Airport. We had used Virgin miles and ANA would not give us a return from Osaka at all. Thru my trip research, I found that Osaka's domestic airport, Itami/ITM was very convenient to the city. Even better were the airfares. We paid one way airfare from ITA to NRT, of only $73. Which is far cheaper than the Shinkansen fare and put us into our outbound airport. I mention this because your plan of getting back to Tokyo is more work than we did. If you flew, this would allow you an extra night in Osaka. Allowing you to see that city as well. But, I am still wondering if you are still doing this trip, considering Covid-19?

Nothing wrong with that plan if one thinks it works better for them. Personally, I absolutely love the Shinkansen and it's a lot less hassle than having to go to an airport and go through that whole ordeal, especially for a very short flight. But I can see why it might make sense in a few circumstances.

jib71 Jul 15, 2020 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Sandeep1 (Post 32531613)
Nothing wrong with that plan if one thinks it works better for them. Personally, I absolutely love the Shinkansen and it's a lot less hassle than having to go to an airport and go through that whole ordeal, especially for a very short flight. But I can see why it might make sense in a few circumstances.

For someone connecting to an international flight at, say, NRT, the short flights from ITM to NRT can be pretty handy. Luggage can be checked through and it’s straightforward.

nishimark Jul 15, 2020 6:02 am

Originally Posted by jib71 (Post 32532834)
For someone connecting to an international flight at, say, NRT, the short flights from ITM to NRT can be pretty handy. Luggage can be checked through and it’s straightforward.

Another bonus is that Japan domestic airports are very efficient. You can arrive at the check-in counter one hour before flight departure and will likely have extra time for a cup of coffee at the gate waiting to board.

ShopAround Aug 31, 2020 12:36 pm

I'm reviving this thread because unfortunately, I had to reschedule my trip. I was supposed to be leaving tomorrow but that's not an option now.

My flights are re-booked for early to mid March - I do realize it's entirely possible that I'll have to reschedule again but I have a mileage upgrade to Delta One and I'm trying to keep that locked in. As of now, I'm planning on six nights in Tokyo, four in Kyoto and three in Osaka. I've booked the Westin in Kyoto and the Marriott Miyako in Osaka.

That leaves me with Toyko and when I planned the original trip, my options were somewhat limited. I ended up booking the Hyatt Regency but I'm trying to stick with Marriott properties if possible because I'll need the room nights next year.

It looks like everything is wide open now and I have my pick of all the Marriott properties. So I thought I'd throw this out to the experts again to weigh in. Prince Gallery and Prince Sakura are both available (although Gallery is a lot more points) and I know those are spoken of highly here although I seem to recall an issue with lounge access. I do prefer a property with a nice lounge if possible although location is important as well.

Any advice is, as always, much appreciated.

Thanks!

The _Banking_Scot Aug 31, 2020 12:57 pm

Hi ShopAround,

I would also have a search on the Marriott hotel forum as there is lots on information on there.

There is also a new mesm Tokyo near Hamarikyu Gardens which got a good review ( not sure about an executive lounge)

Edit: From here;

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-thread.html

it appears there is a lounge ( and some good photos in the thread too)

Although I am a Hilton person I did stay at the Prince Sakura tower twice and it is very good ( did not have lounge access but from the pictures the lounge looks good- not sure what it would be post-covid) .It has a very nice Japanese garden. It is close to Shinagawa JR station.

The Gallery is across the road from the New Otani hotel ( beautiful gardens) and close to several subway lines.

The Gallery might be slightly more convenient but have found that the Yamanote line ( at Shinagawa) goes round in a circle and is close to most of the major tourist sights.

Reards

TBS

MSPeconomist Sep 2, 2020 10:38 pm

Bonvoy elites no longer are given access to the PG lounge and the increment on paid rooms rates for access is considerable, although junior suites and higher seem to include lounge access. It's an excellent lounge, but I'm not sure it's worth the price unless you plan to basically hang out at the hotel and use it for at least every breakfast and every happy hour, including their alcohol offerings.

hailstorm Sep 2, 2020 10:48 pm

I'm not bullish on what the situation will be like for tourists in March. I doubt that a vaccine will be widely available by then, and the testing situation is so abysmal that I doubt they'll have the capacity to test anyone and everyone that wants to come into the country. They'll also be desperately trying to keep the Olympics going, so I don't see them throwing the doors open wide to tourists until after Golden Week.

So...don't get your hopes up for a March visit. If you do happen to make it, hotels will still be far more limited in the services they can offer than during normal times, so seems like spending points on an aspirational property would be a waste. Prince Sakura would be my pick, especially during Sakura season.

pudgym29 Oct 3, 2020 12:08 am

If you postpone...

[color=#663399] Here I go with a bunch of Quotes. I hope I assembled them correctly.

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 31959546)
The Hilton Shinjuku is a good hotel and the executive lounge (37th floor is very good)..It has a good gym, pool and convenience store in the basement shopping complex.
I think western hotels in kyoto are scarcer (there is the Hyatt Regency and Park Hyayt IIRC). There is more choice in Osaka (easily accessible by Shinkansen or rapid trains from osaka) although staying in Kyoto maybe worthwhile The Conrad osaka is very good and the hilton osaka gets good reports also)
The Westin tokyo is close to the Yebisu garden complex ( beautiful at christmas ) but the hilton is in a bettter location as mentioned.
Marriott has 2 courtyards around Ginza and Tokyo station but with no lounges (IIRC).
I would also keep an eye out for any flash sales that hilton may have which can lower the cash cost considerably (then it is a choice of cash or using points) but at normal rates using points can be good value in japan)

Originally Posted by ShopAround (Post 31962132)
{edit} I did read about the luggage delivery service, which I really like (sounds like a pleasure after having schlepped my bags all around Europe on trains on past trips). I'll be flying in and out of HND, so my plan is the airport bus to my hotel on arrival > five or six nights in Tokyo > Shinkansen to Osaka or Kyoto > five nights there (with day trips) > Shinkansen back to Tokyo for one last night before departing the next day (I'm a DL/SkyTeam flyer, so I don't really have good options out of KIX).

Originally Posted by ShopAround (Post 31962462)
I've pretty much decided on Kyoto. Not into nightlife (I'm a woman traveling alone and don't plan on venturing out at night other than for dinner) and while I like cities, I'm thinking Kyoto might be a nice break after Tokyo (and I do plan to make a day trip to Nara).
That's why I made the decision to base in either Kyoto or Osaka rather than doing a couple of nights in each - easier with the lag time in luggage delivery.
I don't see any western chain hotels around HND, so I'll either pay for one last night near the airport or overnight around Tokyo Station - I still haven't booked anything yet for this trip, so that'll probably depend on train and flight times.

As for me, I am the budget traveler. I don't have enough points for discounted rooms at the major chains. But there was one trip to Tokyo where I had an early morning flight out of Haneda (not that early that I would be half-asleep still, but that if I left my hostel early enough to get to HND, I would not get my deposit back [because the front desk would not yet be open], and for that, I found a Japanese hotel close to the Keikyu Kamata station. I think it was the Tokyu Stay Kamata. From Keikyu Kamata, it is a mere 16 minutes and ¥249 to HND.

Originally Posted by Sandeep1 (Post 31979951)
Suica Card is huge, definitely get one OP and keep it loaded. Extremely convenient.

Or the PASMO card. J R finally accepted it. I now have a signed PASMO card.

Originally Posted by Pureboy (Post 32004720)
I lived in Manhattan and have visited Tokyo several times. Two subway tips:
1) Every exit has a code number and it is on all the signage in the station. I wish other systems (NYC and DC - I'm looking at you) did this! Remember the number that corresponds with your hotel and you'll rarely get lost once at your "home" station. If you can figure out what exit number you need on your way somewhere, it will save a considerable amount of confusion.
2) EXPERT MODE: If I understand correctly, there are even signs/guides as to what train car gets you aligned with a specific exit. I've never figured out exactly how to use it, but if I did, I'd feel like a god among mortals.

What you should glimpse here are W-WW sites which show the layout of each Tokyo Metro and Toei stations.

Originally Posted by Sandeep1 (Post 32105791)
The best exit number is absolutely huge. Paid attention to that on my most recent trip last week and it was just HUGE!

Yes. Absolutely. Take a look at the Tokyo Metro Ikebukuro layout. Ohmigawd. :eek: How many exits are there?
Please browse these threads over in CommunityBuzz. They are where previous years' "Japan Do"'s have been held.
Notice which hotels in the selected Japanese cities are mentioned. You may inquire with the respondents in those threads for more specifics.
Now that you have responded you are postponing this trip until March, may I suggest you change your plan entirely and visit there during the days of Japan Do? It was scheduled for Nagoya, but that might change depending on whether a COVID-19 vaccine is produced in "time". There are typically many activities scheduled for the weekend. The key event is the Do Dinner, which is a separate reservation. You don't have to participate in all of them. The days not during the Do are available for the side trips.
Number 8 - Nagoya (2020-postponed)
Number 5 - Tokyo (2017)
Number 4 - Osaka (2016)
Number 2 - Tokyo / Yokohama (2014)
Number 1 - Tokyo (2013)
What brought me to Japan for the first time (December 2005) was the F.I.F.A. Club World Cup. For media, F.I.F.A. suggested a number of hotels in Shinagawa. I have yet to stay in Shinagawa, but it is well located. The J R Yamanote line can take you (clockwise) to Ebisu, Shibuya, Harajuku, Shinjuku, & Ikebukuro; and (counter-clockwise) to Kanda, Akihabara, and Ueno. Keikyü can bring you from there to Kawasaki, Yokohama, and deeper into Kanagawa Prefecture.