Luggage Forwarding / Takkyubin [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle

Another poster that brought up the back and forth I was planning on the shinkansen.

Shinagawa to Osaka overnight (for USJ, Osaka Castle, Dontombori, Umeda Sky Building), Shinagawa to Kyoto (Arashiyama Monkey Park and Bamboo Grove, Fushimi Inari Shrine), Shinagawa to Nagoya (Summer Basho).

Even I talked with my wife awhile ago about staying in Osaka but didn't want to lug all that luggage on the train.

I didn't know about it back then but learned about luggage forwarding service so now I'm thinking instead of staying at Prince Sakura Tower for 2 weeks, stay there one week (or better yet, 9 nights), and then the Osaka Marriott Miyako and return home via KIX.

Does the Prince Sakura provide the drop off to a delivery service and if so, which ones? I understand that it takes a day for delivery.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I haven't used it from there but Prince Sakura uses Yamato for their airport delivery service, so I imagine they probably use that for general delivery as well. It's not really they drop it off, the delivery service picks it up from the Prince Sakura and delivers it direct to the Marriott Osaka. The bell desk will take care of the details.

If you have two or more bags, send one bag a day in advance of your checkout, and send the remainder at checkout. Then you'll have your first bag(s) waiting for you at check-in.

You can show them this (but I'm sure just telling then Marriott Osaka will suffice and they will look up the address for you)

大阪マリオット都ホテル
〒545-0052
大阪市阿倍野区阿倍野筋1-1-43
06-6628-6111

Osaka Marriott Miyako Hotel
1-1-43 Abenosuji, Abeno-ku
Osaka 545-0052
06-6628-6111

I like to write in my reservation number in the description box of the delivery slip.
Attached Images  
Busymann likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I haven't used it from there but Prince Sakura uses Yamato for their airport delivery service, so I imagine they probably use that for general delivery as well. It's not really they drop it off, the delivery service picks it up from the Prince Sakura and delivers it direct to the Marriott Osaka. The bell desk will take care of the details.

If you have two or more bags, send one bag a day in advance of your checkout, and send the remainder at checkout. Then you'll have your first bag(s) waiting for you at check-in.

You can show them this (but I'm sure just telling then Marriott Osaka will suffice and they will look up the address for you)

大阪マリオット都ホテル
〒545-0052
大阪市阿倍野区阿倍野筋1-1-43
06-6628-6111

Osaka Marriott Miyako Hotel
1-1-43 Abenosuji, Abeno-ku
Osaka 545-0052
06-6628-6111

I like to write in my reservation number in the description box of the delivery slip.
Wow!! Thank you!!

Oddly enough, Yamato was the only delivery site I went on. I saw the price for the largest "package" was basically $20. Weird that there's virtually no difference between sending luggage from Kanto to Kanto vs Kanto to Kansai.

Excellent suggestion of sending one piece then the rest. I imagine the other pieces get the other pieces get there late the next day? I would have sent all my luggage the day before and kept what I need in my carry-on.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

My mother and I did this last week. from Tokyo Bay to Osaka

We were in the Hilton Tokyo Bay and filled out the form amd took the luggage down to the delivery counter ( lots of people had Hilton tokyo bay boxes and disney resort liner boxes) on Saturday morning . The staff asked if I had a reservation number for the Conrad osaka ( I showed then the print out and had it written on the form and they were happy with it).

We just took a small backpack each and a carry on which fillted easily into the overheads of the Shinkansed on the Sunday and by the time we got to the Conrad on sunday afternoon (c 4pm) the luggage was already in our room)

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: UA, NW
I've used luggage delivery for years. It's one of the best amenities that Japan routinely offers.

If I arrive at NRT with a large bag for a long stay, I make sure that I have a change of clothes and necessary toiletries in my carry-on and then entrust the large bag to one of the delivery services, whichever one has the shortest line. It always arrives at my Tokyo hotel the next day.

I'm mostly a budget traveler, and I've never found a hotel, not even a bare-bones business hotel, that couldn't deal with luggage delivery.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:30 am
Original Poster

It looks like my plan is to take my luggage from NRT to my Shinagawa hotel myself. I hear the NEX has ample room.

I will forward my luggage to Osaka (Tennoji) the night before I check-out in Shinagawa.

I hear that Japan hotels aren't very good about early check-in so....
I'll eat breakfast early
Check-out in Shinagawa
Around 8am, take the bullet to Nagoya and watch about 2 hours of sumo and visit Nagoya Castle.
Bullet to Kyoto, and visit the Fushimi Inari Shrine for about 2 or so hours.
MAYBE bullet to Kobe and take the Nunobiki Ropeway and maybe try some beef.
Bullet to Shin-Osaka then train to Tennoji

By that time, it should be after check-in time easily and hopefully, the luggage will already be there. I will call the hotel the day prior to give them a heads up.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Busymann
It looks like my plan is to take my luggage from NRT to my Shinagawa hotel myself. I hear the NEX has ample room.

I will forward my luggage to Osaka (Tennoji) the night before I check-out in Shinagawa.

I hear that Japan hotels aren't very good about early check-in so....
I'll eat breakfast early
Check-out in Shinagawa
Around 8am, take the bullet to Nagoya and watch about 2 hours of sumo and visit Nagoya Castle.
Bullet to Kyoto, and visit the Fushimi Inari Shrine for about 2 or so hours.
MAYBE bullet to Kobe and take the Nunobiki Ropeway and maybe try some beef.
Bullet to Shin-Osaka then train to Tennoji

By that time, it should be after check-in time easily and hopefully, the luggage will already be there. I will call the hotel the day prior to give them a heads up.

Hi,

The NEX has lots of room for luggage at the end of the carriages but shinagawa can be a little awkward with steps and the hotel can be a little distance away from the station ( maybe a taxi from Shinagawa) ie the Prince Sakura was up a reasonably steep hill from the station but your plan sounds reasonable. I would check as to when you need to get the luggage to the delivery point at your initial hotel for the next day delivery ( ie at the Hilton Tokyo bay they closed at 3pm) so you may need to deliver the luggage earlier in the day.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

The NEX has lots of room for luggage at the end of the carriages but shinagawa can be a little awkward with steps and the hotel can be a little distance away from the station ( maybe a taxi from Shinagawa) ie the Prince Sakura was up a reasonably steep hill from the station but your plan sounds reasonable. I would check as to when you need to get the luggage to the delivery point at your initial hotel for the next day delivery ( ie at the Hilton Tokyo bay they closed at 3pm) so you may need to deliver the luggage earlier in the day.

Regards

TBS
Thank you.

I'm staying at Prince Sakura for 9 nights then Osaka Marriott Miyako for 5 nights.

I'd forward my luggage the morning of day 8 from the Prince. Bullet with a small bag on day 9.

I'll just deal with the steps in Shinagawa Sta. It'll make finally getting in my room more satisfying.

edit: I guess if the short taxi to the Prince costs chump change, I'd roll with that. Besides the incline tho', it's really a short walk.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Busymann
Thank you.

I'm staying at Prince Sakura for 9 nights then Osaka Marriott Miyako for 5 nights.

I'd forward my luggage the morning of day 8 from the Prince. Bullet with a small bag on day 9.

I'll just deal with the steps in Shinagawa Sta. It'll make finally getting in my room more satisfying.

edit: I guess if the short taxi to the Prince costs chump change, I'd roll with that. Besides the incline tho', it's really a short walk.
It’s been a while since I’ve stayed at the Prince properties in Shinagawa, but if I remember correctly, they operate a shuttle bus service to and from Shinagawa Station from all of the hotels. I think they ran once every 20 minutes in a loop, making a stop at all three hotels—Shinagawa Prince, New Takanawa and the Sakura.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by hanajiro

It’s been a while since I’ve stayed at the Prince properties in Shinagawa, but if I remember correctly, they operate a shuttle bus service to and from Shinagawa Station from all of the hotels. I think they ran once every 20 minutes in a loop, making a stop at all three hotels—Shinagawa Prince, New Takanawa and the Sakura.
If that's still true (I don't have time to check), there will be a notice to that effect on the hotels' websites, complete with information about where you should wait for the shuttle.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi

I found a pdf of the shuttle bus time table here;

http://www2.princehotels.co.jp/takan..._timetable.pdf

Regards

TBS
Busymann likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi

I found a pdf of the shuttle bus time table here;

http://www2.princehotels.co.jp/takan..._timetable.pdf

Regards

TBS
I had this one but I like yours better. Thank you.
http://m.princehotels.co.jp/takanawa...o_20160629.pdf

edit: Essentially, every 20 min from 8am to 9pm.

It looks like even if I just miss a shuttle, it might behoove me to wait for the next one, in the interest of, well, comfort over saving 10 minutes.

Also, since Shinagawa Sta will be my hub for transpo, if I can take the shuttle to the station to save some legs and swelter in the summer month.

Last edited by Busymann; Apr 29, 2019 at 7:42 pm
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: QFF
Baggage forwarding services

I've only ever used the forwarding service twice. Both HND to hotel, once a same time delivery (the bag arrived about 5 minutes before I walked in to the hotel that evening from a 5am arrival), and once with a delay of a few days before delivery.
Both times it worked wonderfully.

For my next trip, I'm looking at needing to use the forwarding service for hotel to hotel and/or hotel to airport. What's the best way to do and arrange this?

Sanco Inn Numazu Ekimae
Oct 30-Nov 1
to
APA Hotel & Resort Yokohama Bay Tower
Nov 1-3
to
HND airport
JL35 Nov 4 (0005 departure)
Old Oct 3, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Himeno
IWhat's the best way to do and arrange this?
When you check into your hotel, tell the front desk that you will want to arrange for bags to be shipped to the next hotel / airport to arrive by whatever date and time you decide. Ask them to verify when you need to send the bags. They should have the forms at the desk for you to complete when you send the bags. They will also call ahead to the hotel that you're going to, to let them know that they're sending bags. Unless you're dealing with a newbie, this will be a well-practiced procedure.

For pickup at the airport, go to the counter of whichever forwarding company you used and present your copy of the shipping forms.
RichardInSF and ksandness like this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: QFF
I don't have to worry about timing, such as shipping the day before check out? Or are they close enough for same day delivery (provided I drop bags for collection before a set time in the morning)?

It's about 110km between the Numazu and Yokohama hotels (~90 mins train, 2 hours road) and about 30-40 mins drive/train between the Yokohama hotel and HND.

When I did same day forwarding from HND to hotel in June, I had the bag dropped off at the HND counter by 6am and had the option of 7pm or 9pm delivery to Ikebukuro.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.