Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Hamburger recommendations (2019 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hamburger recommendations (2019 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Originally Posted by 5khours
As far as cooked onions, it's not a question of like or don't like. Meat patties on buns served with cooked onions are not hamburgers. This is a well established fact.
Really? This must be news to me. Almost all burgers places I've been to (as far as US: Both Coasts, Southwest, South, Midwest) have had cooked/grilled onions as an option.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Gradfly
Really? This must be news to me. Almost all burgers places I've been to (as far as US: Both Coasts, Southwest, South, Midwest) have had cooked/grilled onions as an option.
Yes. That's for the customers who would rather have something other than a hamburger.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:47 pm

Just for fun I also tried a bacon burger because I've never had one. Bacon was good. But bacon on a burger??? I totally don't get it. It's like mixing Lagavulin and Patron. Won't do that again.
Actually, bacon in a burger is fairly common in US. I grew up on Carl's Jr, and a lot of their burgers (such as Western Bacon Cheeseburger) have bacon in them.

Onions - Cooked. Boo!!! Not a real hamburger. Disqualified for having cooked onions.
But raw onions give bad breath.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:33 am

Authentic Review

Bun - Good. Check
Tomato - Very Good. Perfect thickness. Not too drippy. Check
Lettuce - Iceberg. Not quite crispy enough but OK. Check
Pickles - Spears on the side, I had to cut them myself. A little too sweet.
Ketchup - Plenty on the burger. Didn't need to add any. Check
Onions - Perfect just the right combination of sharpness and sweetness. - Check
Meat - Patty not quite as thick as I would like but better than Fellows. Quite a lot of pepper which I like but might be too much for most people.

Other
Simple not too fancy. Good atmoshpere for eating a burger.
A little out of the way.
Good onion rings. Crispy, not too much batter, Fairly thin cut.
Not crowded.
Decent draft beer.

Burger 7.5/10
Restaurant Overall 7/10

I'll try another burger and send another review tomorrow.
LapLap and evergrn like this.

Last edited by 5khours; Jan 31, 2019 at 5:42 am
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Very happy that you are mentioning the level of black pepper in the burgers. Thanks!

Am ready to be converted on the merit of raw onion. I can believe that the right balance of sharp and sweet will enhance a hamburger. Confronted with pungent and fiery (which I usually am), then I’m going for cooked onion
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:18 pm

Good stuff. Chowhound's got nothing on us.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:23 pm

I haven't been to any of these places, and I'm no longer a burger lover.
But I grew up eating Carl's Jr and favored it over In n out.
I know Carl's Jr has opened in Tokyo. Where are they in the hiearchy of Tokyo burger places?

Carl's Jr puts bbq sauce on some of their burgers, like their mesquite chicken burger and western bacon cheeseburger.
Once I got used to burgers with bbq sauce, there was no going back to burgers with ketchup.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All in the QSG approved good category ( not in any particular order) :

Fellows- You have to wait so long now to get a table and eat, and forget the weekends ! Full of tourists and Insta-goons !
Mad Burger- Pretty good actually !
Sasa- Juicy
O Reg On- Pretty good too, my mom liked the split fried hot dog with fried onions !

Outlier Corporate: The Counter......like the choice of toppings and sauces !
LapLap likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:12 am

Munch's Review

Headed over to Munch's today. So far all the places I visited have been tucked away on back streets. Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing. A little hard to get to but a more interesting excursion. Arrived early so there were no crowds, but it looked like they were headed for a busy night. Service was good but a little fawning...not really appropriate for a burger joint. Seating was high stools which I hate. When I dine out, I like to sit in a proper chair and have someone bring me my food. High bar stools and buffets are a big turn off.

Ordered a cheeseburger. Ever since those cooked onions at Fellows, I check the condiments before ordering. Had to tell them to hold the mayo and mustard. These are wonderful condiments in their own right but totally inappropriate for burgers.

Got the cheeseburger....

Bun - This was OK. I have yet to get served a great bun in Tokyo. They need to be toasted on the hamburger side.... not on the top or the bottom.
Lettuce - Iceberg but too much.
Tomato - End slice. Big mistake. Also a little bland.

I now have to digress. One of the elements that makes the hamburger great is the architecture. This is critical not just for making the burger easy to eat, but the architecture gives the hamburger it's essential beauty.... kind of like the Greek's Golden Ratio. In general, Japanese made burgers are off... too high and too narrow. (Note to Japanese burger chefs - You are not building a pagoda.) Creating an architecturally beautiful and stable burger requires 1) that the right amount of lettuce is used, and b) that the tomato slice is flat on both sides. You can't use a slice off the top or bottom of the tomato because, you'll have a rounded side which completely destabilizes the structure. This is a big no-no. I was so surprised to see such a rookie mistake at an establishment which seems to enjoy an otherwise good reputation.

Back to the burger.
Ketchup - None on the burger. I can live with that, but tiny Heinz foil packs which never rip open cleanly. What are they thinking?
Onions - Diced. Yeah ok. Not great but I can live with it.
Pickles - Diced. No. No. No. Pickles are critical to the textural harmony of the burger (more on that in a future review.)
Cheese - One slice of mozzarella and one slice of cheddar. They get an A on creativity for this, but it doesn't really work. Hamburgers are a complex but constrained balance of flavors. Two cheeses together are too strong and throw the balance off.
Meat - Couldn't really tell. The patty was overpowered by the cheese.

Other
Great strawberry shake.
Nasty potato wedges
Ground pepper in the shaker. Hello. Pepper is all about the aroma. Fresh ground is critical. Better yet if it's stored in the freezer.
Friendly staff.

Burger 5/10
Restaurant Overall 5/10
(Wouldn't go back, but if I were passing by I'd probably grab a shake to go.)

Getting a little burgered out. Might take the day off tomorrow.
LapLap likes this.

Last edited by 5khours; Feb 1, 2019 at 6:35 am
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Been a while, but I liked Kua'Aina, with a bunch of Tokyo locations and at least one in Yokohama.
I like Kua 'Aina as well. I visit the one at Iruma from time to time.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Seating was high stools which I hate. When I dine out, I like to sit in a proper chair and have someone bring me my food. High bar stools and buffets are a big turn off.
There's normal seating downstairs at Munch's.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:40 am

Come on man, where's your sticktoitive-ness? We expect another report tomorrow.

I don't know how old you are, but you must have some strong GI system to be able to handle a gourmet burger 3 straight days and ordering shakes and stuff.
Ever since I entered early-30's, my gut doesn't seem to digest beef. I haven't been to handle an ice cream shake (or even want to see one) since even earlier back.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:02 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
All in the QSG approved good category ( not in any particular order) :

Fellows- You have to wait so long now to get a table and eat, and forget the weekends ! Full of tourists and Insta-goons !
Mad Burger- Pretty good actually !
Sasa- Juicy
O Reg On- Pretty good too, my mom liked the split fried hot dog with fried onions !

Outlier Corporate: The Counter......like the choice of toppings and sauces !
Forgot about Reg On , I agree, a great burger and fun 50's sort of vibe.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:08 pm
mjm
Original Member

Munch's Review

Headed over to Munch's today. So far all the places I visited have been tucked away on back streets. Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing. A little hard to get to but a more interesting excursion. Arrived early so there were no crowds, but it looked like they were headed for a busy night. Service was good but a little fawning...not really appropriate for a burger joint. Seating was high stools which I hate. When I dine out, I like to sit in a proper chair and have someone bring me my food. High bar stools and buffets are a big turn off.

Ordered a cheeseburger. Ever since those cooked onions at Fellows, I check the condiments before ordering. Had to tell them to hold the mayo and mustard. These are wonderful condiments in their own right but totally inappropriate for burgers.

Got the cheeseburger....

Bun - This was OK. I have yet to get served a great bun in Tokyo. They need to be toasted on the hamburger side.... not on the top or the bottom.
Lettuce - Iceberg but too much.
Tomato - End slice. Big mistake. Also a little bland.

I now have to digress. One of the elements that makes the hamburger great is the architecture. This is critical not just for making the burger easy to eat, but the architecture gives the hamburger it's essential beauty.... kind of like the Greek's Golden Ratio. In general, Japanese made burgers are off... too high and too narrow. (Note to Japanese burger chefs - You are not building a pagoda.) Creating an architecturally beautiful and stable burger requires 1) that the right amount of lettuce is used, and b) that the tomato slice is flat on both sides. You can't use a slice off the top or bottom of the tomato because, you'll have a rounded side which completely destabilizes the structure. This is a big no-no. I was so surprised to see such a rookie mistake at an establishment which seems to enjoy an otherwise good reputation.

Back to the burger.
Ketchup - None on the burger. I can live with that, but tiny Heinz foil packs which never rip open cleanly. What are they thinking?
Onions - Diced. Yeah ok. Not great but I can live with it.
Pickles - Diced. No. No. No. Pickles are critical to the textural harmony of the burger (more on that in a future review.)
Cheese - One slice of mozzarella and one slice of cheddar. They get an A on creativity for this, but it doesn't really work. Hamburgers are a complex but constrained balance of flavors. Two cheeses together are too strong and throw the balance off.
Meat - Couldn't really tell. The patty was overpowered by the cheese.

Other
Great strawberry shake.
Nasty potato wedges
Ground pepper in the shaker. Hello. Pepper is all about the aroma. Fresh ground is critical. Better yet if it's stored in the freezer.
Friendly staff.

Burger 5/10
Restaurant Overall 5/10

Funny stuff.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:19 am

Burger Break

OT but... I was burgered out so I took a break today and went to Kifuu (紀風)a small Kaiseki restaurant in Ebisu. Really excellent. Lunches for 6000 or 10000 so quite reasonable for kaiseki. Very serene interior, good service, dishes (ceramics) were beautiful and interesting. Great seasonal balance on the food. Among the dishes: a wonderful kamo dango, a brilliant shungiku dish, perfectly cooked sawara, and kinkan ice cream to die for. Definitely worth many repeat visits. Only nit is the wine and beer selection.

Back to the burgers tomorrow.
LapLap likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.