Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Tokyo for a Day: Been there, done that--Now What?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo for a Day: Been there, done that--Now What?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:13 am

The recommendation to visit the Yanaka area was a good one. A few hours spent here will pass by easily.
Arrive at Nippori Station and a short walk up some stairs takes you to Tennoji Temple, quite serene and lovely.
From there plan your route on Google maps to aim for Yanaka Ginza. That walk will take you through a part of Yanaka Cemetery. The cemetery is huge and it is easy to get a bit lost but there are several interesting things to see. But let your smartphone map keep heading you to Yanaka Ginza.
Just before that is Darjeeling teahouse where we had Indian tea served delightfully and you can get snacks or even a small Indian meal if feel you have temporarily overdone Japanese cuisine. Its a lovely building and worth looking inside anyway before you pass by.
A long flight of stairs will take you down into one of the most interesting and well preserved old shopping streets. After finishing the Ginza it is best to wander the back streets heading a short distance south to end up at Sendaji metro.

Looking forward to se

art of the enormous
ksandness, 747FC and bitterproffit like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Have you been to the art galleries in Tokyo? Since i dont think you came to japan for a specific purpose given the timeframe, i'd find something not too stressful.
I wouldnt mind Kamakura or Yokohama either. Or Hachijoshima as mentioned above if you dont mind spending 5000 UA miles each leg (Or in this case you can actually take an ANA flight and go anywhere new... I've done this a few times for MR purposes or just because i have a free tag-on)
747FC likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by GBobon
Maybe you want to visit JAL or ANA hangars from HND?
How would one do that?

Everyone: Thanks for the awesome responses/recommendation!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Originally Posted by 747FC
How would one do that?

Everyone: Thanks for the awesome responses/recommendation!
When I did the ANA tour, I had to ask my Japanese friend to book for me. Apparently someone has now created a step by step guide on how to book it yourself. Step by Step Guide
Keep in mind that this tour is entirely in Japanese. It was worth the experience though, even more so if they have one of the special livery aircraft inside. If you choose to do the tour, I'd say set aside a half day if you include having a meal at one of the nearby cafes and do some plane spotting. I don't know much about JAL's application process but I've heard its similar.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gradfly
When I did the ANA tour, I had to ask my Japanese friend to book for me. Apparently someone has now created a step by step guide on how to book it yourself. Step by Step Guide
Keep in mind that this tour is entirely in Japanese. It was worth the experience though, even more so if they have one of the special livery aircraft inside. If you choose to do the tour, I'd say set aside a half day if you include having a meal at one of the nearby cafes and do some plane spotting. I don't know much about JAL's application process but I've heard its similar.
Thanks for the detailed information!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:56 am

We did a day trip to Kawagoe once, and had a great time! Quick (1-1.5hrs) train ride from Tokyo. It's often called "Little Edo" for its preservation of many traditional architectures. It's also fun to walk around and sample the many street food vendors!

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6500.html
747FC likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbeans
We did a day trip to Kawagoe once, and had a great time! Quick (1-1.5hrs) train ride from Tokyo. It's often called "Little Edo" for its preservation of many traditional architectures. It's also fun to walk around and sample the many street food vendors!

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6500.html
My view is quite different. The historic area is only a few blocks long and I thought it was incredibly touristy and quite boring. I see no reason to go back there.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
My view is quite different. The historic area is only a few blocks long and I thought it was incredibly touristy and quite boring. I see no reason to go back there.
Careful what you say, I have many ties to Kawagoe.
But I agree. Many day trips from Tokyo that are far more worth your time.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
feels like somewhere good to burn 4-6 hours with no expectations. haha
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:45 pm
Suspended

btw i would recommend taking the green car if going to kamakura. especially if it's the weekend.
The promotional rate in the weekend is cheaper for Shimbashi (Tokyo) - Fujisawa as compared to Tokyo Central to Fujisawa (and vv) by like 200/400 yen i forgot. but you wouldnt have to be packed along with others. (cheaper if you use a IC card and pay before you board)... I'd assume Tokyo station - Ofuna would be the cheaper fare too.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:46 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Originally Posted by Gradfly
for JAL is similar, I booked only JAL because ANA was closed for tours in period i visited TYO... I managed to book JAL's tour on my own, only using Google translate...
kaka likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions!

Just back from Tokyo, and our quick trip was shortened by a day as we changed our flights to leave early and escape Typhoon Trami.

We spent a full-day visiting Kamakura (which we liked verymuch) and then Enoshima, (which we decided to bypass given its touristy feel and I was not up for hiking up the hill on that day.)

Yesterday, I spent the morning at Nezu Shrine. It was a Saturday in Tokyo, with constant drizzle. Nezu was sparsely occupied by visitors, so it had a special feel. Highly recommend it!

Many thanks to all of you who responded to my request. You made the two days we spent in Tokyo very enjoyable.

Last edited by 747FC; Sep 29, 2018 at 11:52 pm
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:15 pm

Thanks for reporting back.
So you ended up with only 1 night / 2 days in Tokyo? Was this part of a bigger trip, or did you go from HNL to Tokyo just for 2 days?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
Thanks for reporting back.
So you ended up with only 1 night / 2 days in Tokyo? Was this part of a bigger trip, or did you go from HNL to Tokyo just for 2 days?
We took a cruise from Alaska--Russia--Japan (Kushiro,Hakodate, Aomori, and Tokyo). We were planning on staying two nights in Tokyo, but left a day earlier due to the expected arrival of Trami. After being in Japan during the Great Tsunami, I do not recommend vacationing anywhere during and after a natural disaster.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
We took a cruise from Alaska--Russia--Japan (Kushiro,Hakodate, Aomori, and Tokyo). We were planning on staying two nights in Tokyo, but left a day earlier due to the expected arrival of Trami. After being in Japan during the Great Tsunami, I do not recommend vacationing anywhere during and after a natural disaster.
I'm never done a cruise before, but Alska-Russia-Japn cruise sounds amazing.
Where do you stop in Russia?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.