Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kushiro/Shiretoko national park

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I stayed in a large Japanese-style hotel in the little town on the eastern side of the peninsula. I forget the name but I had reserved a room with a private onsen bath which was really nice to have.

The thing that stood out was the included food. As jlb71 said, it is impossible to imagine fresher seafood anywhere. The taste was simply amazing.
From the description this sounds like it might have been the Touakarinoyado Rausu Daiichi Hotel. It's about 1km from the town centre on the road that heads to the Shiretoko pass. If it is the same place I can concur about the food that was served at the hotel - amazing.
kaka likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by plunet
I stayed in a large Japanese-style hotel in the little town on the eastern side of the peninsula. I forget the name but I had reserved a room with a private onsen bath which was really nice to have.

The thing that stood out was the included food.
From the description this sounds like it might have been the Touakarinoyado Rausu Daiichi Hotel. It's about 1km from the town centre on the road that heads to the Shiretoko pass. If it is the same place I can concur about the food that was served at the hotel - amazing.
They have private onsen?

PS: perhaps its this one kitakobushi shiretoko hotel?

Last edited by kaka; Jul 2, 2018 at 11:10 pm
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:41 pm

As to the park and wilderness area, well, it's quite nice but this is still Japan. The entire "wilderness" would easily fit within a tiny percentage of most any wilderness area you'd find in the USA. A Japanese wilderness area could be defined as an area where every plant has been precisely placed so as to give the proper impression of wilderness. OK, it's not quite that bad. but still it all seemed very tame to me.
There's no doubt that Japanese national parks and natural sceneries and formations are smaller in scale than what you see in western US. Plus, in Jpn, no matter where you are, you're still going to be within 15km of the nearest road and 500m of the nearest person. There's also food available everywhere and ropeway seemingly going to the top of every other mountain. So in that sense, I think it's fair to call Japanese national parks and wilderness tame.

Despite that, I think parks and nature in Jpn are breathtaking in their own ways. I've been to Teton, Denali, Zion, Canyonlands, Yosemite, etc. But Japanese wilderness areas like Kamikochi (despite the crowd) do not take backseat to any of those places imo. It's just a different type of scenery and nature. Also, there have been alpinists who've summited 8000m peaks in Himalayas that have perished in Japanese mountains in the peak of their careers.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Curious whether those knowledgeable of the area could comment on this tour description (which is from a ship's tour on a one-day stop):
----------------------------------

Experience the natural beauty and Ainu culture of Hokkaido during this memorable, full-day excursion to Ainu Kotan, Lake Akan and the Kushiro Marshland.

Ainu Kotan

Depart the pier for the scenic, approximate two-hour drive to Ainu Kotan. The largest Ainu village, Ainu Kotan is located just outside Hot-spring Village and includes about 36 residences housing approximately 200 people. On the west-side of the village street are about 30 souvenir shops crammed side-by-side.

Traditional Ainu dances, which have been designated as important intangible cultural assets, can be seen in the Onne-Chise, or 'very big house' located in the centre of the Kotan. There are also places where you can take pictures wearing traditional Ainu costumes.

Lake Akan

Next, proceed for lunch at a hotel near Lake Akan, a beautiful and mysterious crater-lake located in Akan National Park. Lake Akan is renowned for its 'marimo', a curious-looking moss that grows in large green balls; a phenomenon that is unique to this lake. After lunch, re-board your coach and drive to the Kushiro Marshland.

Kushiro Marshland

The largest wetland in Japan, the Kushiro Marshland has been placed on the Ramsar Convention list of important wetlands. The marsh extends across the Kushiro Plain, and is fed by the waters of the Kushirogawa River. Reeds grow in the wettest areas, which are surrounded by grasslands and dense stands of alder trees. The Kushiro Marshland is home to approximately 600 plant species, and offers habitats for the Japanese crane and other migratory birds. Wildlife sightings are not always guaranteed.

-----------------

Does it look like a good use of our one day in the area?

Many thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
Curious whether those knowledgeable of the area could comment on this tour description (which is from a ship's tour on a one-day stop):
----------------------------------

Experience the natural beauty and Ainu culture of Hokkaido during this memorable, full-day excursion to Ainu Kotan, Lake Akan and the Kushiro Marshland.

Ainu Kotan

Depart the pier for the scenic, approximate two-hour drive to Ainu Kotan. The largest Ainu village, Ainu Kotan is located just outside Hot-spring Village and includes about 36 residences housing approximately 200 people. On the west-side of the village street are about 30 souvenir shops crammed side-by-side.

Traditional Ainu dances, which have been designated as important intangible cultural assets, can be seen in the Onne-Chise, or 'very big house' located in the centre of the Kotan. There are also places where you can take pictures wearing traditional Ainu costumes.

Lake Akan

Next, proceed for lunch at a hotel near Lake Akan, a beautiful and mysterious crater-lake located in Akan National Park. Lake Akan is renowned for its 'marimo', a curious-looking moss that grows in large green balls; a phenomenon that is unique to this lake. After lunch, re-board your coach and drive to the Kushiro Marshland.

Kushiro Marshland

The largest wetland in Japan, the Kushiro Marshland has been placed on the Ramsar Convention list of important wetlands. The marsh extends across the Kushiro Plain, and is fed by the waters of the Kushirogawa River. Reeds grow in the wettest areas, which are surrounded by grasslands and dense stands of alder trees. The Kushiro Marshland is home to approximately 600 plant species, and offers habitats for the Japanese crane and other migratory birds. Wildlife sightings are not always guaranteed.

-----------------

Does it look like a good use of our one day in the area?

Many thanks!
i dont know yet but as ususal its better to split a cruise tour into 2 days so it wont be as rushed...
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

just to report back, there was the typhoon no. 21 at the western coast of Hokkaido when we were there last week (The one that also crippled KIX). We arrived Shiretoko at 7pm (we had a longer than expected detour at Nemuro) and it was blasting crazy winds that killed the electric grid at Utoro. The next day weather was rather windy at Utoro so we went to Abashiri. We stopped by the waterfalls on our way back, and saw the sunset and the rocks further down the road from the hotel.
This night it was also when earthquake hit Sapporo. More electric outage *out of the hotel* (they have their own generator, so from 3am till 10am after we got out, we didnt know how bad things were in real terms.)

We planned to hit Kushiro, fix our tickets and leave the next day (at this point at 9-10am on 6/sept). We went pass the Shiretoko pass for some views on the way to Rausu, then start feeling how bad things are - city-wide outage and gas rationing. We were rationed 17L of gas, which we used 10 to top up the gas tank, and went to Kushiro, now aiming to leave the same day.
CP KUH was very helpful in cancellation on the value of things (they have no water nor power for guests, but have a 5000 yen menu.), and we managed to reroute our flights to HND. on that same day.

PS: all in all the sights are still very worthy of the drive, we just have to go back there next time to finish off the rest.
PPS: we ran into the hanasaki crab season (well, sanma too) and had the best experience for a 1.7kg crab for less than 100usd! thats why we got to shiretoko so late... lol
PPPS: We saw the cranes at the morning canoe session at kushiro. yay!

Last edited by kaka; Sep 12, 2018 at 9:04 am
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Wow! What an "adventure." Sorry you had to deal with all that. Hopefully you will have a chance to return in the future to see what you missed in better light.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Wow! What an "adventure." Sorry you had to deal with all that. Hopefully you will have a chance to return in the future to see what you missed in better light.
i know lol. felt kinda relief that all this happened in japan, could be worse if this happened anywhere else in the world!

as to returning, im sure i would. maybe hnd-mmb or sth to save the 4-6 hour drive.
OTOH there's so many good food in sapporo too! (and the Sapporo beer factory)
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
If visiting the eastern end of Hokkaido, how advisable is it to rent a car vs taking the trains there? As a railfan I absolutely love what JR Hokkaido has there and the scenery, but feel like I'm missing out not getting close enough to the coastline if I can't get off and drive around (also hard with the sparse train schedules, few rapid/expresses there). Is the answer a bunch of one-way rentals between train segments where Ltd. Exp. service is available?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by msp3
If visiting the eastern end of Hokkaido, how advisable is it to rent a car vs taking the trains there? As a railfan I absolutely love what JR Hokkaido has there and the scenery, but feel like I'm missing out not getting close enough to the coastline if I can't get off and drive around (also hard with the sparse train schedules, few rapid/expresses there). Is the answer a bunch of one-way rentals between train segments where Ltd. Exp. service is available?
Multiple rentals might get expensive. I'd decide what you want to see and put together a plan for a couple of days driving around the less accessible spots - probably as a one-way rental from one railway station to another. I would also look at the possibilities of hiking and cycling in some places.
msp3 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I did just fine looping through that part of the island on trains and a couple of buses with no rental cars. The Shiretoko Peninsula was, admittedly, pretty tricky to arrange and if I had it to do again I might rent a car for that part only. The little rattletrap local train up through the lakes region between Abashiri to Kushiro was a great experience.
jib71 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:28 pm

Which is better? Shiretoko or marshland near Kushiro (and the nearby lake there)? We could do one and spend more time in one, or do both in whirlwind fashion. Shiretoko would then need to be done in half-day... do the cruise then a couple hours remaining to fast walk around the shiretoko lake and zip over the pass from north to south. But the cruise is the highlight correct?

thinking of either doing shiretoko/Kushiro/tokachi vs just chill out for 3days at Niseko Hilton yet again this summer. I’ve done Niseko several times already, but going to a new place is always stressful and so Niseko would be more relaxing.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
Which is better? Shiretoko or marshland near Kushiro (and the nearby lake there)? We could do one and spend more time in one, or do both in whirlwind fashion. Shiretoko would then need to be done in half-day... do the cruise then a couple hours remaining to fast walk around the shiretoko lake and zip over the pass from north to south. But the cruise is the highlight correct?

thinking of either doing shiretoko/Kushiro/tokachi vs just chill out for 3days at Niseko Hilton yet again this summer. I’ve done Niseko several times already, but going to a new place is always stressful and so Niseko would be more relaxing.
this (esp *shiretoko*) is much better than niseko imho, but we couldnt do the boat tour (it was essentially during the typhoon when we visited), and even the train was stopped due to weather. so im glad we had a car- actually for multiple reasons if you go back to my posts in sept (and it works out to be much cheaper for 4 people). when are you planning to go? remember theres the bear season during summer and you’ll need ranger guides at parts.

are you somewhat a foodie? surely you can have another trip in septemberish so you can do the crab + kushiro on another trip? (you live in this part of the world, no?) what are you planning to do at the marshland? i think my friends were pretty done with for canoeing for 2 hours at 6am - we didnt really need to do the rowing- but they still had enough.

Last edited by kaka; Mar 29, 2019 at 2:40 pm
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I did just fine looping through that part of the island on trains and a couple of buses with no rental cars. The Shiretoko Peninsula was, admittedly, pretty tricky to arrange and if I had it to do again I might rent a car for that part only. The little rattletrap local train up through the lakes region between Abashiri to Kushiro was a great experience.
i thought of the trains too back then, but with 4 people the car works out to be much cheaper...... and im glad i have the car cuz of this typhoon + earthquake after we got to shiretoko. + the rattletrap local train was cancelled due ti weather too- so we would be rather stuck had we not have the car. but i guess you wont be so unfortunate
abmj-jr likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
this (esp *shiretoko*) is much better than niseko imho, but we couldnt do the boat tour (it was essentially during the typhoon when we visited), and even the train was stopped due to weather. so im glad we had a car- actually for multiple reasons if you go back to my posts in sept (and it works out to be much cheaper for 4 people). when are you planning to go? remember theres the bear season during summer and you’ll need ranger guides at parts.

are you somewhat a foodie? surely you can have another trip in septemberish so you can do the crab + kushiro on another trip? (you live in this part of the world, no?) what are you planning to do at the marshland? i think my friends were pretty done with for canoeing for 2 hours at 6am - we didnt really need to do the rowing- but they still had enough.
We're going in July, so not typhoon season. We live in America actually, but we've been going to Hokkaido a lot (will be third time this year). Even then there's no way we can go back in Sept. I love food, but I'm also a cheapskate and don't like to spend too much on food or try anything exotic, so I can't really call myself a foodie.

I don't know what we would do at the marshland. Japanese magazines make it out to be a major attraction and pictures look nice. You're supposed to be able to see those big white birds (we call it tsuru... JAL's logo) and that would be nice to see, although I'd rather see a grizzly bear. Do you think the marshland is cool or not really worth it? If we do both marshland and Shiretoko, then our schedule in Shiretoko will be something along the lines of cruise, 1hr to see the lakes, then 1hr to drive over from Utoro to Rausu. Is that rushing it?

I actually really love Niseko. It's so scenic there. We do outdoor stuff for a few hours each day and rest of the time just hang out at Hilton. Food is very expensive in Niseko, but I just eat at the Hilton anyways. I'm not very adventurous. I don't like going to new places, but sometimes we do and then I'm glad later that we did. Perhaps Shiretoko and Kushiro will be such place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.