White Day and Cherry Blossom 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

White Day and Cherry Blossom 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We had a wonderful day in Showa Kinen Koen today. The tulips are at their absolute peak and were resplendent in the sunlight. I'm guessing there was some kind of Yorkshire Terrier appreciation society gathering going on - there were doting owners everywhere photographing their pets in aggressively cute poses (Easter baskets seemed popular).
We found a Sakura tree in mostly full bloom to have a picnic under in the main Sakura grove but most had only 10% of their flowers left. The soft cascade of petals was delightful. A few late blooming Sakura varieties were dotted around the park drawing interest, the most notable examples were those in the Japanese garden - shidare Sakura (the "weeping" kind) which were beautiful and at their best today.
It so happens that we were at this very park on this very day exactly three years ago. It was full bloom then, and rather colder.

thank you for the report on Kiyosumi, still on my list
And LAX/HKG - so glad your kids enjoyed the park. OUr only complaint is the early closing time
Cheetah_SA likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:54 pm

Caught the sakura st hamarikyu and hachimanyama park (utsunomiya) on Wednesday. Hamarikyu is really nice right at opening, was my first time exploring as well. The falling petals are so pretty. Hachimanyama we visited around 5pm and stayed in the evening till the lanterns were lit. All locals and not especially crowded on a weekday, it was a great atmosphere to sit under the trees and have festival stall food. The petals have begun to fall as of Monday so the timing was nice.
LapLap likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
We went to Showa Kinen Koen today. There was definitely tons of petals already on the ground. However, there was still enough for a pretty decent Sakura. It was still a sea of pink as we approached the cherry trees park. The tulips were very pretty as well.

My kids absolutely fell in love with this park. It was hard to pry them away. Our family had a very enjoyable day there. Thanks LapLap again for this great recommendation!
That's great. I grew up not far from there. That park is so great with kids... esp the waterpark during summertime. Quite a few foreigners there, presumably from Yokota. You get a decent discount just by showing Suica card. Tachikawa in general has a lot of stuff going on.
LapLap likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:42 am

Just arrived and the concierge said don't bother, there nothing to see in central Tokyo. I'm seeking a second opinion at the hotel.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Just arrived and the concierge said don't bother, there nothing to see in central Tokyo. I'm seeking a second opinion at the hotel.
It depends on your expectations. There are plenty of sakura in full bloom at the moment, but these are alternative varieties to the ones in the most celebrated viewing spots.
We are going to Kiyosumi Gardens tomorrow and that will conclude our hanami hunting.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:58 am

Got a tip for takao?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by LapLap

It depends on your expectations. There are plenty of sakura in full bloom at the moment, but these are alternative varieties to the ones in the most celebrated viewing spots.
We are going to Kiyosumi Gardens tomorrow and that will conclude our hanami hunting.
The last time I was here I was told it was over and I went to shinjinku gardens and it was incredible. So expectations are extremely low.

still may shoot for the west side of chiyoda and then yasukuni shrine unless that's a terrible idea
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All I'll say was that one of the first recorded "first blooms" that heralded the arrival of the sakura season in Tokyo this year was in Yasukuni Shrine.
There's a first hand report here of an area near Nihonbashi that's in full bloom right now. If you can find shidarezakura (weeping cherry trees) those seem to be at their peak. There are plenty of varieties that are at their best at the moment, the trick is finding enough of them together so that satisfaction is felt by seeing them. If a solitary tree or two gives you happiness, there is still plenty to gladden the heart in Central Tokyo.
good luck!
Cheetah_SA likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by saaveraward
You can still catch late bloomers at Shinjuku gyoen. Even past peak is extremely watchable and gorgeous to me. The sakura snow blankets are wonderful.
Cheetah_SA likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:40 pm

Thanks all. Will report back later today. Beautiful day in tokyo!
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:24 pm

Imperial palace is finished. Shrine next door has a couple looking well. Shinjinku has some amazing weeping trees with full blossoms on.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:35 pm

Let me amend that. Shinjinku looks spectacular!
Cheetah_SA likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: BA BD SA
it was a gorgeous spring day in Kanazawa yesterday - even if it was a good 10 degrees cooler than Tokyo. The nearby mountains are still dusted with snow.

There were cherry trees in full bloom everywhere and the area around Kenrokuen and the castle was simply ablaze with blossoms. (As were the river banks around... erm... Sakurabashi.) Many varieties including a “double” that supposedly has as many petals as a crysthanthemum. Stumbled upon the most delightful lane next to the castle grounds - it glories in the name of Ohori Dori - that was quiet as well as impossibly pretty. Lined with cherry trees and camellias dropping their blooms in such profusion that a tiny old lady was clearing the little stream of flowers by the barrow load to prevent it clogging.

Some light rain last night and heavier showers late today have already started stripping the blossoms - while simultaneously creating beautiful blankets and drifts of petals on the ground. It’s astonishing how quickly things change with Sakura! The darker, double and weeping varieties seem hardier and withstood the weather far better. Still plenty to see though. (And if money is no object it is, of course, possible to do a day trip by Shinkansen from Tokyo.!)

PS Kenrokuen - what a garden!
LapLap likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Went to Kiyosumi this morning as we expected the weather to turn in the late afternoon.
There were four pink cherry trees, slightly weeping and with "pompom" blossoms, in full bloom, the enormous cherry tree on the lake was shedding the last of its petals profusely, being progressively stripped by forceful gusts of wind.
Lovely garden, reminded me of the much larger Ritsurin Koen in Takamatsu, Shikoku.

Hadn't realised that the wonderful Fukagawa Shitamachi museum was around the corner, so we made our way there then had an asari heavy lunch at Fukagawa Juku in front of the museum. The ladies working there were charming and very friendly and helped make this into a memorable meal.
We are happily concluding our Sakura season for this year - went rather better than expected given our late arrival. Next year. Easter is rather later so am not expecting to see any then.
Cheetah_SA likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
As of today, Friday, there are still a few trees in bloom at the Imperial Palace gardens, around the Nijubashi intersection. Not much, but pretty to look at, as usual.
Cheetah_SA and LapLap like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.