Wiki Posts
Search

Narita Employee English Ability

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:43 pm
FTA
Original Poster

Narita Employee English Ability

Can I get some feedback on the English ability of Narita employees? Do all employees speak English or only a % and how good is it?

Have to transfer either in Narita (Japan) or Incheon (South Korea) and am looking for the smoothest experience. Thanks all
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by FTA
Can I get some feedback on the English ability of Narita employees? Do all employees speak English or only a % and how good is it?

Have to transfer either in Narita (Japan) or Incheon (South Korea) and am looking for the smoothest experience. Thanks all
Announcements are all in English and Japanese. Transfer desk personnel will be English speakers.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:55 pm
FTA
Original Poster

What about other employees?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Unless you're trying to chat up the janitorial staff or something, you'll be fine.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the OP needs a wheelchair then there is a very good chance that they'll be spending time with staff who speak very little English.
Not a problem though - one only needs to show the boarding pass for the next flight or ask for "transit desk". "Toilet" will also be understood.

With or without a wheelchair, if you're worried about not finding or missing a connection just show your boarding pass (or write down - clearly - your next flight details and departure time) and say "Help please!" (a little bow won't go amiss) to a staff member.
I have less experience of ICN than NRT (where I have plenty as a non Japanese speaker) but I'm sure the professionals in South Korea are just as customer focused and helpful.

Book either route with confidence (neither are anything like transiting through Beijing, Shanghai, Istanbul, Paris )
Personally, I like the food and things you can buy at NRT WAY more than at ICN. Then again, so do a lot of people, so the queues at the NRT airside shops can be daunting.
You are more likely to encounter cultural events (eg parades in period costume) at ICN, but NRT often has some beautiful cultural "Easter Eggs" of its own.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by FTA

I speak Japanese (used to teach it and now work as a translator) so I can't tell you what NRT is like for a non-Japanese-speaker, but my Korean is limited to a few basic words and phrases, and I did fine at ICN--check in, duty free, coffee shop, boarding, they all had reasonably competent English speakers, and since NRT is even more of a major international transfer point, I would imagine that the same is true there.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
With regard to English ability, I think they're probably equal. Signage is multilingual. There are enough English speakers.
In terms of airport layout etc. for transfers, I've found ICN to be really top notch. With regard to NRT, if its all within one terminal, I think it's great, but if you have to change terminal, perhaps not as good as what I've seen of ICN.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:54 pm
FTA
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Don't need medical or other assistance. Just want the smoothest experience. Transferred through Beijing before and it really sucked. Looking for the smoothest experience, not something I have to Beijing through.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:15 am

I would regard both Incheon and Narita as significantly easier/more preferable for a transit than Beijing. Personally I'd prefer Narita as the airport is a bit smaller, the lounges a bit better and generally the service a bit better but there's not a lot in it. I think Beijing has a lot more in common with LHR than it does with ICN or NRT.
LapLap and wxman22 like this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by IMOA
I would regard both Incheon and Narita as significantly easier/more preferable for a transit than Beijing. Personally I'd prefer Narita as the airport is a bit smaller, the lounges a bit better and generally the service a bit better but there's not a lot in it. I think Beijing has a lot more in common with LHR than it does with ICN or NRT.
I would like to echo that. NRT was the first real international airport that I transited many years ago and it was extremely easy. I dont remember but probably had some of the same anxiety the OP is asking about. NRT has a small feel to it and pretty hard to screw up a transit there to be honest. Not that ICN isnt pretty easy as well but definitely give NRT the nod. I would not recommend PEK either, at least not for first timers!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
If you're doing a I-I transfer, which I think is what you're doing, and you don't have any special needs or issues, you will have absolutely no problems as an english-only speaker at NRT. I pass through there several times most years, and have never been tempted to go from English to my broken Japanese when interacting with any staff.

I believe the same holds true at ICN, but I've only done one such transfer there and it was 5 years ago.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by FTA
Thanks for the replies. Don't need medical or other assistance. Just want the smoothest experience. Transferred through Beijing before and it really sucked. Looking for the smoothest experience, not something I have to Beijing through.
This isn't even a language issue now that you've mentioned this tidbit. Incheon and Narita are just plain easy for transferring, especially compared to Beijing.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
In terms of airport layout etc. for transfers, I've found ICN to be really top notch. With regard to NRT, if its all within one terminal, I think it's great, but if you have to change terminal, perhaps not as good as what I've seen of ICN.
Originally Posted by LapLap
Personally, I like the food and things you can buy at NRT WAY more than at ICN. Then again, so do a lot of people, so the queues at the NRT airside shops can be daunting.
You are more likely to encounter cultural events (eg parades in period costume) at ICN, but NRT often has some beautiful cultural "Easter Eggs" of its own.
I agree with both of these comments.
ICN has the appearance of being a more modern, grander airport. The layout is definitely good. Also kids enjoy the free craft at ICN's cultural areas. But ICN has very little to offer me in terms of any item I'd want to buy or food I'd want to try. That's in spite of the fact that ICN seems to have far more landairside concessions/eateries than NRT. Comparing OZ vs ANA lounges, the food offerings at ANA are infinitely tastier. For me, a 3-hr layover at NRT would go by real fast, whereas I'd probably be counting down the time at ICN. But of course this is all personal taste. General concensus seems to be that ICN is a top-notch airport.

Last edited by evergrn; Jan 6, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, NRT! On the one hand there are the terrible, terrible queues for the wonderful, wonderful treats:
Long line at gate area souvenir shop at NRT

And then there's the unexpected joy of being able to relieve yourself in Gallery Toto - which is right next to a children's play area
https://gizmodo.com/this-airport-gal...tic-1740006545
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by IMOA
Yes. Concur. I've transferred at ICN and NRT twice each in the last 12 months. ICN is bigger, far more shops, longer walks. NRT is small and cute. Depends on what you want. Neither is China.
I wouldn't worry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.