Using Airbnb in Japan: experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Airbnb in Japan: experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
I've stayed in Japan Airbnbs at least 3-4 times, and the main reason has been getting a larger space for the same price of a mid-range business hotel. If I travel alone I usually stick with hotels, but when with a small group of friends, we much prefer to go with an Airbnb as it allows us to have communal space where we can hang out casually. That's not possible with a hotel, and individual hotel rooms are too small to hang out in either.

Tokyo Airbnbs are definitely small, so we always go one up when searching for accommodatin. If we're a group of 3-4, we look for rentals that accommodate 5-6, and also provide separate bedrooms. Some listings may say they sleep 6 but only if you lay out futons on every imaginable floor surface and need no suitcase open at the same time. LOL

Some of the negatives from my experience?
- there's no housekeeping so any booking beyond 3-4 days requires that you take a bit of your own time to keep the house neat/clean. It can be a bit of a chore when you're on holiday to still have to do dishes, take out the trash, clean the toilet... so just factor that into your day
- Airbnbs are not consistently furnished (duh) and so even if a place advertises as 'airconditioned' you might want to ask if there is a fan coil unit in every room. Friends and I rented a place where the a/c was actually only in one bedroom, and the 'owner' said it was enough to cool the whole apt (it was not). and even if so, it doesn't address a/c use at night when we're sleeping. Fortunately it wasn't that hot while we were there early summer, but it was a bit annoying as we ended up sleeping with the bedroom doors open, fortunately privacy wasn't terribly compromised due to the flat layout. We would not have been happy campers if we were there in August and full humid summer heat.
- TOWELS! For those of us more accustomed to full service hotels, this can be annoying. You often get just the one bath and face towel per person, that's it. And they're generally not that plush, and you certainly aren't getting fresh ones in the room 2x a day... LOL
- Apt/room fittings are not as well thought out nor planned with a traveller's needs in mind. Something as simple as hooks on the wall or behind a door, so you can hang things instead of having them piled on the floor. One good thing about Japan is that a quick stop to Daiso or a 100Y shop can be an easy cheap for some of these problems. But only some.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:40 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

For those interested in the Metabolist architectural movement, this airbnb is the bee's knees.
(I haven't stayed there, but it would be the only airbnb on my to-do list...so far)
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Article on NHK outlining the new registration process for landlords and the changes coming this June.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/nhknewsline/backstories/newlawcracksdown/
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
For those interested in the Metabolist architectural movement, this airbnb is the bee's knees.
(I haven't stayed there, but it would be the only airbnb on my to-do list...so far)
I just read about this building on Wikipeda (Jpn version).
Apparently this building has severe asbestos issue and discussions have been had numerous times about demolishing it. Permit was issued for its demolition some years ago, but they never got around to it and then the permit/order expired. Since then, people who favor preserving it have emerged. The airbnb thing is not officially authorized by the building management.
LapLap likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by LapLap
Article on NHK outlining the new registration process for landlords and the changes coming this June.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/nhkn...lawcracksdown/
It kind of mentions things, but is doesn't really do a good job.

Airbnb is requiring owners to register, and if they don't provide the registration number the listing will apparently not be displayed (and I assume reservations for it will be cancelled).
LapLap likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:30 am

My airbnb booking for July was cancelled by the host unable to comply with new Japan Minpaku law, staying with hotels for now....
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Regarding the comment on towels - you don't need to bring them with you - just google the location of your local 100 yen shop which in Tokyo shouldn't be that far away and you'll be able to pick up basic functioning towels for pretty cheap. Yes they might not be luxury and they'll be pretty basic but if you just need something to tide you over for a few days why complain when it's only 108 / 216 yen ?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lolaotaim
My airbnb booking for July was cancelled by the host unable to comply with new Japan Minpaku law, staying with hotels for now....
Hi, lolataim! Welcome to Flyertalk!
I'm sorry that your first post is to share some bad news, but I do appreciate you telling us this experience.
I'm guessing it won't be unique in the run up to July...
lolaotaim likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by mrploddy
Regarding the comment on towels - you don't need to bring them with you - just google the location of your local 100 yen shop which in Tokyo shouldn't be that far away and you'll be able to pick up basic functioning towels for pretty cheap. Yes they might not be luxury and they'll be pretty basic but if you just need something to tide you over for a few days why complain when it's only 108 / 216 yen ?
OP complained that the towels provided by Airbnb accommodations are "not that plush," so they might need to google a department store to equip the accommodations in the style to which they are accustomed. While there, I also recommend buying new mattresses, since the airbnb ones are rarely hotel quality...
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Originally Posted by lolaotaim
I recently spoke with a friend involved in the AirBnB scene in Tokyo. When asking for lodging recommendations at the end of this year, I was told to ask again in July. They're anticipating a large shakeout of listings during June.
LapLap and lolaotaim like this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:13 pm

Airbnb rep doesn't say how they're handling this..( after 2 emails to them). my emails keep bouncing...
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I have 2 airbnb reservations for august. will report back as things evolve/change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.