Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A woman arrested for carrying live bullets at Haneda Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by codex57
Not always true. Depends if there's strict liability or a presumption. In Japan, even with ammo, there are crazy requirements. She likely would have been ok in the US, but it sounds like she's easily guilty in Japan based on my limited Google searching of Japan gun laws.
Mens rea is probably more strongly entrenched in Japan than the U.S. I haven't looked at the gun laws, but I suspect there is no strict liability especially given the severity of the penalties.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:00 am

The fact that she recognized she did something illegal then tried to cover it up instead of going to the police will severely hurt her when the penalty is decided. Japanese courts tend to go hard on people who do not turn themselves in nor show guilt which she did neither of. At this point her best bet is to plead guilty and beg for forgiveness as a dumb foreigner. If she had just gone to the police she likely would have lots of questions asked, a very long lecture on Japanese gun laws, then deported but no criminal penalties.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ROCAT
The fact that she recognized she did something illegal then tried to cover it up instead of going to the police will severely hurt her when the penalty is decided. Japanese courts tend to go hard on people who do not turn themselves in nor show guilt which she did neither of. At this point her best bet is to plead guilty and beg for forgiveness as a dumb foreigner. If she had just gone to the police she likely would have lots of questions asked, a very long lecture on Japanese gun laws, then deported but no criminal penalties.
When reading Japanese news articles about court cases this is often mentioned, as a judge read out verdict often mention “accuser not showing any guilt” as part of reasoning for the verdict and sentencing. From reading Japanese newspapers I got an impression that “not showing any guilt” seems to weigh in stronger than “did not have intention to commit a crime.”

The impression I got is a case defendant plead not guilty and insisted during entire trial of innocent, but there were very strong circumstantial evidences leading to the defendant. During the sentencing phase a judge say “accuser not showing any guilt” as reason for harsher sentencing. Can remember reading cases like this on Japanese newspaper more than few times.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by gnaget
Japan is truly moronic regarding drugs and guns.
Let's try to quantify that a bit, with death rate statistics per 100,000 population per year:

US, guns: 10.54
US, drugs: 6.96
Japan, guns: 0.06
Japan, drugs: 0.43

That doesn't look all that "moronic" to me.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by nishimark
But then it will clog the toilet, causing the cleaning person to come out of their closet next to the toilet to fix it, who will find the bullets and call the police, who will come running over to scan the security cameras and find you before you can catch that next flight. Better to use the conbini trash can.
Ok, throw it into the toilet tank, which I guess are not generally accessible in public toilets. Although if you slowly throw the tiny 22s down a toilet (or go stall to stall) then you probably won't clog it.

It's very much police state to throw something in the trash and get busted for it! One thing about Japan is the difficulty in finding a trash can.....
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by Steve M
Let's try to quantify that a bit, with death rate statistics per 100,000 population per year:

US, guns: 10.54
US, drugs: 6.96
Japan, guns: 0.06
Japan, drugs: 0.43

That doesn't look all that "moronic" to me.
It is if you value liberty.

If you made me dictator of USSA I could beat the Japanese numbers quite easily. It includes quite unsavory things regarding non-whites and civil liberties.

I value liberties and something very basic like habeas corpus.

The vast majority of US gun deaths are suicides, but Japan has a much higher suicide rate. Maybe getting rid of railways is imperative in saving lives?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: FT
I must have missed where this person was forced to fly through Japan. We all have choices in life. Those that pretend we don't are the most vocal when things don't go their way.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by gnaget
It's very much police state to throw something in the trash and get busted for it!
It seems normal to me. In which country do the police turn a blind eye to people who attempt to throw away items immediately prior to a check-point or search?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by mkjr
if you bothered to look into how Japan manages to avoid gun related deaths and how it regulates guns, perhaps you would understand how they are inextricably linked. and i will decline to enter a further discussion about guns with people who use guns. as they say, "never get involved in a land war in Asia,"....
Huh? I didn't even MENTION Japan and their laws.....I was commenting on the strange leap folks made from one thing... ammo...to another very separate thing...guns.

Related? Yes...usually. Not always however and certainly NOT in the case in question....

And if you won't discuss guns with people who use them...then presumably you are not open to any view other than your own... so perhaps it's best to leave it at that....
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:57 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
As this is veering quickly into OMNI territory and the thread has run its course, I'm closing it.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.