Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

1 night in Tokyo - where to go for food, food, and more food?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:12 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver

Hi all, I have a flight into NRT on a Saturday afternoon in April, and a flight out of NRT the following morning at 11am. This will be my first time in Tokyo. I would like to stay somewhere convenient in terms of public transportation and preferably costs below $300. My main interest is food (izakayas, ramen, sushi, etc). That's really it. Maybe some cherry blossoms if the time is right and some night and or street photography. Any recommendations on where to stay and where to go for food? I do not speak Japanese but I do know Chinese.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Since you have not been to Japan before, you may not realize how many restaurants there are in Tokyo in all price ranges, mom-and-pop restaurants where you can fill up for US$10 to high-end sushi establishments where if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

I would suggest the Shinjuku or Shibuya areas, which are both major entertainment districts. Restaurants are found not only along the street but also inside department stores (which typically have an entire floor or two or three devoted to moderately-priced eateries) and in and under train stations. Restaurants in Japan tend to specialize in one category of food: noodles, sushi, Korean barbecue, okonomiyaki (a cross between an omelet and a crepe, with your choice of fillings), tonkatsu (breaded pork cutlet), tempura (deep-fried seafood and vegetables), kamameshi (think risotto), Japanified Chinese food, or various international cuisines.

As far as hotels are concerned, these come in all price ranges. I typically stay in the cheaper establishments, about US$100 per night or less for a single with private bath, so finding something under $300 should be no trouble at all.

Both Shinjuku and Shibuya are accessible by the Narita Express (N'EX), or, in some cases, the hotel limousine buses (check the schedules online to see which option is more convenient for your flights).
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, Hyatt - Platinum
Completely agree with ksandness that it will be easy to find a hotel within your budget and that Tokyo is filled with great food. If I'm not trying to earn/redeem hotel points, I usually just book a hotel on Expedia based on location and reviews. Even if you're not familiar with Tokyo, it's easy to put a hotel into Google maps and see how long it takes and how much it costs to get there from Narita - there are a few transport options that don't come up on Google maps (like the 1000 yen airport bus), but it's still a useful tool.

I love reading the Food Sake Tokyo blog http://foodsaketokyo.com/ Even if you don't go to the specific restaurants they review, it can give you a better sense of what kind of meals you can get in Tokyo.

Good luck planning your trip!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:39 am

I recommend the conveyor belt sushi called "kaisen misakiko(海鮮三崎港)".
Because it can be ordered with a touch panel with english menu. No problem you don't speak Japanese. There are many "kaisen misakiko(海鮮三崎港)" in Tokyo.
http://www.kyotaru.co.jp/shopsearch/...%B8%AF&pref=13

If you needs, ask the locals about Japan in your native language.
Try to search for "Tazuu" or access below:
https://tazuu.com/en?lid=ft_nitwt1511
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:51 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

I have been to Japan before but never Tokyo. I like ramens and sushi, but also love izakayas more, which I know may be not be as widespread and easily accessible compared to ramen and sushi shops. I know being on top of a direct line from the airport will be very convenient.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:07 am

I'm a big fan of Washoku En, which has branches in Marunouchi, Shiodome and Tokyo Dome. Here are a few more recommended izakaya in central Tokyo if you're looking for someplace closer to your hotel.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
I know being on top of a direct line from the airport will be very convenient.
Head for Ueno, then. Quick train to the airport (Keisei skyliner). Cheap hotels. And more izakaya than you can shake a stick at.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:49 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

With many small streets and what look like mom-and-pop restaurants, Ueno seems like my type of neighborhood. Not to mention it only takes 45 mins to get there from NRT. It's also close to Ueno Park, which hopefully when I go will have some cherry blossoms Thanks!

I'm booked at Apa Hotel Okachimachieki-Kita S, good place? From Google street view, it seems like the area got some close quarters - any reason not to walk around it and hit up every place that serves food?

Can I buy the Keisei ticket once I get to NRT or should I wait until I get there? What if I don't know which terminal I will be going from? (I will be flying in from PVG on NH).

Last edited by TOMFORD; Nov 27, 2015 at 3:01 pm
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: Dirt
You can buy the skyliner ticket online and save 300 yen each way. Your reservation is good any time for the day you pick.

Looks like APA Hotel Okachimachi Station North S is a new property opened just a month ago so not much information is available. According to the web site, it is the first of APA Hotel S series that offers simple stay experience. It faces Shuto highway so it might get noisy. Heard APA Hotel's rooms are on the small side, but I haven't stayed at one.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by msb0b
Heard APA Hotel's rooms are on the small side, but I haven't stayed at one.
I frequently stay in single rooms at Toyoko Inns when I'm in Japan and I thought those rooms were small until I stayed at the APA Kannai last month. The room was *small*, though the decent sized bed helps make up for it, and my suitcase had to block the door when I wanted to use the bed or the desk. The bathroom was small, the elevator was small, though the TV was kind of large compared with everything else. Size aside, it was a perfectly decent hotel.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Hi all, I have a flight into NRT on a Saturday afternoon in April, and a flight out of NRT the following morning at 11am. This will be my first time in Tokyo. I would like to stay somewhere convenient in terms of public transportation and preferably costs below $300. My main interest is food (izakayas, ramen, sushi, etc). That's really it. Maybe some cherry blossoms if the time is right and some night and or street photography. Any recommendations on where to stay and where to go for food? I do not speak Japanese but I do know Chinese.
I would definitely recommend staying at a place near Tokyo station or in Ginza - plenty of places that will easily be within your budget. From there you can see the imperial palace, head over to the Sumida river (gawa) for the cherry blossoms - or take an easy train ride to Nakemeguro for the best blossoms in Tokyo - and then an easy train ride back to NRT. Also - some of the best restaurants in Tokyo are an easy train ride away from Ginza or in Ginza. I should know - I live there half the year!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:23 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I would definitely recommend staying at a place near Tokyo station or in Ginza - plenty of places that will easily be within your budget. From there you can see the imperial palace, head over to the Sumida river (gawa) for the cherry blossoms - or take an easy train ride to Nakemeguro for the best blossoms in Tokyo - and then an easy train ride back to NRT. Also - some of the best restaurants in Tokyo are an easy train ride away from Ginza or in Ginza. I should know - I live there half the year!
Tokyo station seems a lot less local than Ueno, which I guess isn't a bad thing considering how few people in Japan speak English. The proximity to a station with direct line to NRT is important, although I doubt I will be taking the subway much to other places (not enough time). If I go anywhere, it'll probably be the Tokyo Hankyu shopping center.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Tokyo station seems a lot less local than Ueno, which I guess isn't a bad thing considering how few people in Japan speak English. The proximity to a station with direct line to NRT is important, although I doubt I will be taking the subway much to other places (not enough time). If I go anywhere, it'll probably be the Tokyo Hankyu shopping center.
The stuff around Yurakucho station and Yaesu are as local as it comes. I don't consider the Gransta restaurants in Tokyo station any less local just because they have English menus. Marriott Courtyard near Tokyo station could be helpful for you or the Tokyo station hotel itself.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
The stuff around Yurakucho station and Yaesu are as local as it comes. I don't consider the Gransta restaurants in Tokyo station any less local just because they have English menus.
I will second that. If anything, Ueno is somewhat touristy. Also kind of sleazy in parts.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:00 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Changed my booking to the Tokyo Station Hotel!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.