Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Kyoto Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Help with Kyoto Itinerary

Hi, I'll be going to Kyoto for the first time and staying 2 nights for my upcoming trip.

I would love to see the following sights however they are all in different parts of Kyoto:

Nortern Kyoto
- Kinkakuji

Western Kyoto
- Arashiyama Bamboo Groove

Southern Kyoto
- Fushimi Inari Shrine

Eastern Kyoto
- Kiyomizudera

If you were to split up these places over 2 days, how would you do it? Also, is it best to take the bus? Do the buses in Kyoto take the Sucia card or would I need to get something else?

Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Kyoto

We spent 2 days in Kyoto & Narra on a JR Pass. Your itinerary really depends on where you are staying & other pertinent details which you neglected to share? (traveling with whom, dates, interests, etc.)
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
We spent 2 days in Kyoto & Narra on a JR Pass. Your itinerary really depends on where you are staying & other pertinent details which you neglected to share? (traveling with whom, dates, interests, etc.)
Staying at the Westin in Kyoto. Will be coming from Tokyo using the JR pass on a Saturday and leaving on Tuesday back to Tokyo. I plan to take a day trip on one of the days to Nara, so that leaves 2 days in Kyoto. Traveling with one other person.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by joostfan
Also, is it best to take the bus? Do the buses in Kyoto take the Sucia card or would I need to get something else?
Kyoto's subway coverage isn't that great so you'd probably find many touristy spots only accessible by the buss. Since bus trips I think are 200 or so yen per trip, makes more sense to buy a 500yen day pass. http://www.visitkansai.com/sightseeing/kyoto-city-bus/
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:41 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I don't know about Nara, but Kyoto is infamously busy on weekends. Maybe Sunday-Monday in Kyoto, and Nara on Saturday?

For the sights you want, put Fushimi Inari Shrine on an afternoon/evening; less crowded, cooler, and it's illuminated at night (and is accessible by JR rail; there's a station right across the street). Kinkaku-ji is IME not somewhere you will spend a ton of time at, and getting there before it's too crowded (e.g. right at opening) would be best.

Personally, I preferred Ginkaku-ji's more extensive wooded grounds, but the temple itself at Kinkaku-ji is the attraction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.