Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foodie doing a weekend run to Narita

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:13 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
Smile Foodie doing a weekend run to Narita

I am doing a mileage run to Narita in four weeks and staying four nights. I spent two wonderful years in Japan forty some years ago, but haven't been back since.

Looking for a hotel near the Narita airport, preferably something with an airport shuttle (have read about high taxi prices). Plan on finding little local places for yakitori, gyoza, shushi, and a dozen other bar snacks to share with Kirin, Asahi, and Sapporo, so finding a hotel with many of these places within walking distance is important.

However, one night, I plan to celebrate with a really good (Kobe?) steak. Is there any place around there that does it? - I really don't want to take the train into Tokyo.

In advance, thanks to my fellow FT'ers for their help - domo arigato.

Last edited by MiamiFlyer; Aug 8, 2015 at 2:51 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:07 am

Sorry, but four nights at Narita and you don't want to even visit Tokyo? And you say you're a foodie? That's just plain kooky!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Agreed - get in to Tokyo
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:35 am

If you really truly can't fathom staying in Tokyo and need a place close to NRT with an airport shuttle, then stay in Narita's town center. Imo, the best hotel out there is Richmond Hotel. There's a lot within walking distance. Their shuttle runs rather sporadically, although you can always take the much faster Keisei train (~5min ride) straight to the terminal building from Narita's town center.

Although I say there's a lot within walking distance of Hotel Richmond, I can't imagine anyone flying into NRT and spending all 4 nights in Narita.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: Delta
The trains and nearly everything else have changed a lot. You won't regret going into Tokyo.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:17 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
If the OP was last in Japan forty some years ago NRT was probably not even open.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I also think if you are going to stay 4 nights then head into the city. Many visitors do stay around NRT for cheaper lodging, but I do not think many stay around Narita only and never head into the city. It is easy commuter train ride into the city of Tokyo from Narita. If you are willing to spurge for one nice Kobe beef dinner, then definitely head into central area of Tokyo. I am not much of high dining person, but Seryna is one of known Kobe beef restaurants in Tokyo.

OP, if your memory of Tokyo is from forty some years ago then today’s Tokyo will be nothing like what you remember. I do think it is worth taking a commuter train into the city if you are staying 4 nights. Haneda Airport is nothing like what you remember today.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by evergrn
Although I say there's a lot within walking distance of Hotel Richmond, I can't imagine anyone flying into NRT and spending all 4 nights in Narita.
OP is 3+MM with AA, so he must know what is most important to him.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I stayed at the Mercure Narita in March. If you are intent on staying in Narita that one is a winner.

-$55 USD/night. The shuttle isn't that frequent but it works. You'll be smack in the middle of Narita and also next to the train station if you do decide to go into Tokyo itself.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I guess I'll pile on, too. Forty years has seen a huge difference in transport options in and around Tokyo. The Keisei Skyliner - or cheaper Sky Access or Mainline Limited - will get you to Ueno in less than an hour. There are many hotels, in all price ranges, around Ueno or the surrounding areas. Likewise, there are many dining option within walking distance. Or, you could stay in nearby Asakusa or take the Narita Express to Tokyo Station and have dozens of options within walking or short cab distance.

Four nights in Narita-shi or out near the airport seems a little too much like a prison sentence for my tastes.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Most major hotels have Friendly airport limo bus service, door to door. it costs about the same as the NRT express train, but check the scheduled frequency for hotels your considering as well as travel time for the hotel's route. For me, it works well for the Hibya/Ginza/Palace area, where there are very frequent buses to Tokyo Station (followed by a walk or short taxi ride) as an alternative. For some other areas, the ride can be significantly longer.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by Duke787
I stayed at the Mercure Narita in March. If you are intent on staying in Narita that one is a winner.

-$55 USD/night. The shuttle isn't that frequent but it works. You'll be smack in the middle of Narita and also next to the train station if you do decide to go into Tokyo itself.
Mercure is very good in CP and you have a chance to see AF crew. They have lunch buffet and it is very reasonable. So, if one expects a big jet lag, I think it is a good choice.

On the other hand Richmond has spacious rooms, very comfortable beds and much better desks.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:08 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
Originally Posted by O Sora
OP is 3+MM with AA, so he must know what is most important to him.
Yep, and ^ re Mercure lunch - will check it out one day.

Got a great rate $35 on the APA hotel which works for me, but never would have found it without the tips on the Richmond/Mercure.

Researching other blogs, looks like Gyoza no Osho is a place everyone raves about. Also found The Barge, Noodle Shop Ramen Bayashi, Kura Sushi (gotta see that train), The Bonn, may check out the Jet Lag Club. Still have to find a shabu shabu place in Narita.

I'm not into Michelin rated restaurants anymore, just want good local food. I'm more likely to fly to a triple-D place like the Squeeze Inn than I am to fly to Luger's, or go to Driftwood for BBQ instead of Memphis/Kansas City. In October, I am going for two days to Brazil just to resample their rodizio.

If anyone has any restaurant/bar favorites in Narita-shi, please let me know.

Normally, I wouldn't fly to Narita, but AA had this $399 fare I couldn't pass up

Thanks again to all for your help......
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
If the OP was last in Japan forty some years ago NRT was probably not even open.
NRT opened in 1978, and when it first opened, the only way to travel from Tokyo all the way to the airport without a transfer was to take the bus from the TCAT or a mega-yen cab ride.

Now you have direct buses to hotels and Tokyo Station as well as JR and the Keisei Railway providing non-stop service.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:18 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ksandness
NRT opened in 1978, and when it first opened, the only way to travel from Tokyo all the way to the airport without a transfer was to take the bus from the TCAT or a mega-yen cab ride.
I used to bribe my family to come and pick me up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.