Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by jonckt
I had visited the distillery on 31 May, all NAS........ but had a great time there.

Besides bought the Yamazaki 18 LE for 50000 Yen at Narita. Was trying my luck for Yamazaki 2017 Limited Edition but had been told it wasnt available in Narita Airport.

Jc
I was at the distillery on May 24 when I bought the Limited Edition - don't know how long it was available for. It was limited to 1 bottle per person but I have no idea how much of it was made.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jonckt
I had visited the distillery on 31 May, all NAS........ but had a great time there.

Besides bought the Yamazaki 18 LE for 50000 Yen at Narita. Was trying my luck for Yamazaki 2017 Limited Edition but had been told it wasnt available in Narita Airport.

Jc
The 2017 LE is available on Dekanta for ~$280.
What you bought at Narita for 50k is just Yamazaki 18 in a fancy box for a steep price.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by invalyd
What you bought at Narita for 50k is just Yamazaki 18 in a fancy box for a steep price.
just curious. what is the current fmv of Yamazaki 18? Since it's really irrelevant about the box since if, say, fmv is 500US$, I'd suggest as of late, one might not be so quick to suggest it's steep per se.

if one trusts wine-searcher one could suggest 50000 is actually a decent price.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:15 pm

Yeah i know, but i couldn't find elsewhere for the Yamazaki 18....... I have the Nas, 12, 25..... Just wanna find the one in between
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:31 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by mkjr
just curious. what is the current fmv of Yamazaki 18? Since it's really irrelevant about the box since if, say, fmv is 500US$, I'd suggest as of late, one might not be so quick to suggest it's steep per se.

if one trusts wine-searcher one could suggest 50000 is actually a decent price.
Do not trust. It's hard to find for sure, but I saw it in Japan from JPY 24.8k to JPY 45.8k. In the US, I stocked up at $252. JPY 50k is well above the "reasonable" range.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
Do not trust. It's hard to find for sure, but I saw it in Japan from JPY 24.8k to JPY 45.8k. In the US, I stocked up at $252. JPY 50k is well above the "reasonable" range.
those are indeed fair market prices, but as everyone knows finding at for that price is mostly luck. i've never seen it stateside for less than $400, and generally people are only in japan for limited time and don't want to spend their vacations hunting down aged whiskeys, so i don't think paying $500 is terribly unreasonable if you really want it.

for me personally it comes down to price though, the corner store downstairs from my building carries hibiki 12/17/21 and yamazaki 12/18 for absurd prices so availability is not the issue. the only one i've considered buying is the hibiki 12 @ 199, mostly because it's nearly nonexistent even in japan now.

Last edited by invalyd; Jun 7, 2017 at 11:06 pm
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:16 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

those are indeed fair market prices, but as everyone knows finding at for that price is mostly luck. i've never seen it stateside for less than $400, and generally people are only in japan for limited time and don't want to spend their vacations hunting down aged whiskeys, so i don't think paying $500 is terribly unreasonable if you really want it.

for me personally it comes down to price, the corner store downstairs from my building carries hibiki 12/17/21 and yamazaki 12/18 for absurd prices so availability is not the issue. the only one i've considered buying is the hibiki 12 @ 199, mostly because it's nearly nonexistent even in japan now.
I don't disagree that there's a tradeoff between effort/time and money. Arguably, if you can pay $250 for a bottle of liquor, you can pay $500. Personally, I enjoy the hunt.

As for Hibiki 12, agreed that it's practically impossible to find. I recently drove 50 miles out of my way to buy two bottles at $85. What causes the 12 to be the hardest to find?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: FT
I don't disagree that there's a tradeoff between effort/time and money. Arguably, if you can pay $250 for a bottle of liquor, you can pay $500. Personally, I enjoy the hunt.

As for Hibiki 12, agreed that it's practically impossible to find. I recently drove 50 miles out of my way to buy two bottles at $85. What causes the 12 to be the hardest to find?
that is strange since its the age statement i have the most of and loaded up a few years ago at Astor wines in Manhattan for some aburd price of US$45 as I recall, and that was when our CAD$ was much higher...

i did see Yamazaki 18 in wine-search in Portland a few years back and had my friends pick some up. it was one of the few places that had it for a great price before all things when ridiculous.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:47 am

its been discontinued by suntory and replaced by the NAS harmony.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
its been discontinued by suntory and replaced by the NAS harmony.
Too bad, I really liked that one.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by ralphs
Thanks for the info. I went to 10 Los Angeles area Costcos and could not find Hakushu 12.
Los Angeles (Los Feliz)
Norwalk
Torrance
Signal Hill
Cypress
Fountain Valley
Huntington Beach
Irvine
Tustin II
Tustin I
Hakushu 12 is now at Torrance Costco the last time I was there a few days ago.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by yotsubachan
Hakushu 12 is now at Torrance Costco the last time I was there a few days ago.
I found Hakushu 12 at KLwines.com for $68.99 http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1080132
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:47 pm

I found Hakushu 12 at KLwines.com for $68.99 http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1080132
Love KL. I really recommend setting alerts for rare bottles on their website. Scored another 2 bottles of Yamazaki 12 for $89 this weekend.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Have you tried the Hakushu 18? Debating whether it's worth the $250.

On another note, glad you found what you were looking for. I actually checked at the Marina Del Ray, Garden Grove, and Alhambra locations throughout the week and didn't find anything. Decided to give the Montebello store a shot yesterday and bought the last 2 bottles of Hakushu 12 on the shelf.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Whisky at Kansai

What kinds of J-whisky has been spotted at Kansai (KIX)? Wasn't sure if it was appropriate to start a new whisky thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.