Community
Wiki Posts
Search

long layover in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

long layover in Tokyo

For a US Passport holder arriving Tokyo Narita at 3pm, and connecting at 9am the next day out of Haneda, any travel tips to enjoy/do while in Tokyo with this much time? Any recommendation on what I should do from arrival into Narita all the way to departure out of Haneda? Any information will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:30 am

go into the city. Have fun, eat good food, sight see, go shopping. Take the subway to Haneda the next morning.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: LH SEN
Yep, take the NEX Express to Shinagawa station (there are lots of hotels around there) and take the Keikyu Line from Shinagawa station to HND next morning.

You can also stay around Tokyo station, but Shinagawa is very convenient since the NEX Express stops there and the direct train to HND departs there as well.

And don't forget to enjoy the evening in Tokyo

Last edited by ffly; Nov 11, 2015 at 1:49 am
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Shinagawa is a bit boring seen from a touristic perspective. Though highly convenient for the trains. Look in to the Ueno area (Keisei Skyliner), Ginza/Marunouchi areas (N'Ex to Tokyo Station). There is a lot to see and do there. If you want to go to Shinjuku or Shibuya for sightseeing and a night out, I would probably still recommended a hotel on the Tokyo to Shinagawa stretch for easier access in the morning.

If you look in the Japan forum, this topic is frequently discussed, and there are lots of tips and ideas.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:57 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
As this does not specifically involve ANA, I am moving this to the Japan forum.

Regards,
armagebedar
ANA forum moderator
Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Shinagawa is a bit boring seen from a touristic perspective. Though highly convenient for the trains. Look in to the Ueno area (Keisei Skyliner), Ginza/Marunouchi areas (N'Ex to Tokyo Station). There is a lot to see and do there.
Shinagawa may be boring, but it makes the most sense for the OP. Also one of the more affordable areas of Tokyo in terms of decent hotels. Very easy to get to Shibuya and Shinjuku from there.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: UA, NW
There are countless guidebooks and online guides to Tokyo, which offers a lifetime's worth of attractions. With so little time, it will be hard to choose, but only you know what interests you.

Shinagawa is, as others have said, boring. but it is the most convenient area for transferring from the N'EX to Haneda. Check into your hotel, and then return to Shinagawa station to ride the Yamanote Line (silver train with green stripes) to Shibuya or Shinjuku for restaurants, clubs, and just plain walking around. Since you're just in town for a brief time, buy a single train tickets from the vending machines, put it through the turnstile to be stamped, and keep it till you reach your destination, where you will once again insert it in the turnstile. This time it will not be returned. (Get some cash at NRT.)

Before you set out on foot, spot a landmark and keep it in sight as you wander, since both neighborhoods can be confusing. (I am an Old Tokyo Hand, but I am capable of getting lost in Shibuya.) If all else fails, ask a younger person for directions to the station (they are more likely than older people to remember their high school English).

For a nighttime view of central Tokyo, ride the roughly circular Yamanote Line all the way around to return to Shinagawa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.