FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/)
-   -   Is there a thing called "Japanese claustrophobia"? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan/1412951-there-thing-called-japanese-claustrophobia.html)

joejones Dec 10, 2012 2:39 am

Originally Posted by henry999 (Post 19827319)
it can be an extremely disheartening realisation when it finally dawns on you that all your emotional investment has been futile and you will never really be accepted as one of them.

:confused: What does this actually mean? There are a lot of Japanese people (and, for that matter, a lot of American people, myself included) who don't feel like "one of them" within their own country. I don't feel like "one of them" even here on FlyerTalk, which is maybe a good thing. Is someone supposed to be accepted as "one of them?"

jib71 Dec 10, 2012 3:41 am

Originally Posted by joejones (Post 19827617)
:confused: What does this actually mean? There are a lot of Japanese people (and, for that matter, a lot of American people, myself included) who don't feel like "one of them" within their own country. I don't feel like "one of them" even here on FlyerTalk, which is maybe a good thing. Is someone supposed to be accepted as "one of them?"

Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was ...

mjm Dec 10, 2012 5:49 am

Interesting thoughts flowing around. My own is, "why in the heck would I want to be somebody else?" Very happy being me thank you. Do not want to toss away my culture, values or personality. I do however want to learn from others, enjoy the wonderful life available here, and enjoy the personal growth associated with making friends from all walks of life.

henry999 Dec 10, 2012 6:10 am

Originally Posted by joejones
:confused: What does this actually mean?

It simply means being treated like, in goinggoinggone's phrase, a 'talking dog'. And you understand that things will never be any different. I suppose some people may even be comfortable with that.

cheers,

Henry

jib71 Dec 10, 2012 6:59 am

Originally Posted by mjm (Post 19828029)
Very happy being me thank you.

I'm also happy that you're you. But as you say, you grow. Most of us do. People learn and adapt to what they experience - new cultures, new people, new possibilities. Did I cease to be me when I discovered how much I like Japanese food? So who is "me"? It's not a fixed thing.

mjm Dec 10, 2012 7:28 am

Originally Posted by jib71 (Post 19828278)
I'm also happy that you're you. But as you say, you grow. Most of us do. People learn and adapt to what they experience - new cultures, new people, new possibilities. Did I cease to be me when I discovered how much I like Japanese food? So who is "me"? It's not a fixed thing.

So true.

Me as I was yesterday is not more as I am today and so on but the fact that is me does not change. More accurately the thing that is me is evolving. No less me though.

I hope o learn a few more languages before I evolve into a pile of dirt, intend to respect and learn as much of the culture associated with the languages I learn, but I will always be me. As if a great jeweler were adding facets to a diamond.

I guess I am not so much a seeker as an arriver. Hopefully this peaceful and accepting mode will lead me to greater knowledge and slow the growth of my forehead. ;) Wine helps too.

Braindrain Dec 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by jib71 (Post 19828278)
Did I cease to be me when I discovered how much I like Japanese food? So who is "me"? It's not a fixed thing.

I'm getting flashbacks to the Evangelion finale.... ;)

hailstorm Dec 10, 2012 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Braindrain (Post 19831133)
I'm getting flashbacks to the Evangelion finale.... ;)

Which one? There have been about seven already, probably one more within the next year or so...

Braindrain Dec 10, 2012 5:42 pm

The original's always the best (or worst, in this case?). :D

hailstorm Dec 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Braindrain (Post 19832218)
The original's always the best (or worst, in this case?). :D

Omedetou!

Pureboy Dec 11, 2012 7:35 am

Originally Posted by joejones (Post 19790246)
When I hear stories like this I honestly wonder whether I live in the same country as these other people do. Perhaps this sort of thing was more common 20 or 30 years ago, but I can't imagine that anyone of room-temperature intelligence is still stuck in the mindset that foreigners don't speak Japanese, especially given all the Japanese-speaking foreigners who appear on TV these days.

Honestly, it might have been 20 years ago. He told my class the story in 2001. He also has a Korean wife, and speaks better Japanese than she does and in social settings in Japan they would ignore him and speak to her. That one is more understandable to me.

5khours Dec 13, 2012 12:04 am

Originally Posted by mjm (Post 19828029)
Interesting thoughts flowing around. My own is, "why in the heck would I want to be somebody else?" Very happy being me thank you. Do not want to toss away my culture, values or personality. I do however want to learn from others, enjoy the wonderful life available here, and enjoy the personal growth associated with making friends from all walks of life.

Well said.

kebosabi Dec 19, 2012 11:47 am

With regards to the garbage thing, yes it is a PIB, but then again, Japan doesn't have a lot of natural resources so they need to recycle everything that are recyclable.

Whereas in the west we take the "dump all in the garbage bin and let the single waste management figure it out" (usually just ends up in a big landfill; a luxury Japan doesn't have) it's the opposite approach in Japan: "separate the garbage and let multiple garbage agencies recycle them respectively."

So Tuesday would be plastics day, and the plastic waste management comes by to pick them up.

Wednesday would be burnable day and the burnable waste management comes by to pick them up.

Yes it sounds redundant, but in a way it's a good way to becoming more responsible to what things you throw out.

hailstorm Dec 19, 2012 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 19887412)
With regards to the garbage thing, yes it is a PIB, but then again, Japan doesn't have a lot of natural resources so they need to recycle everything that are recyclable.

Yah, but writing your name on it seems a bit much.

We have different garbage pickups for every day of the week. Sometimes somebody makes a mistake and leaves out the wrong type of trash, and the garbage men just leave it there. The owner usually comes by to pick it up by the end of the day. If not, then I'm sure the 組長 will figure it out and give whomever needs it a good talking to.

Don't think we have a problem with random people leaving trash at the stops either...they'll usually just dump it at a nearby combini, despite their protests against the practice.

BuildingMyBento Dec 19, 2012 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 19887412)

Whereas in the west we take the "dump all in the garbage bin and let the single waste management figure it out" (usually just ends up in a big landfill; a luxury Japan doesn't have) it's the opposite approach in Japan: "separate the garbage and let multiple garbage agencies recycle them respectively."

So Tuesday would be plastics day, and the plastic waste management comes by to pick them up.

Wednesday would be burnable day and the burnable waste management comes by to pick them up.

Yes it sounds redundant, but in a way it's a good way to becoming more responsible to what things you throw out.

But again, why is that every single little thing in a konbini/depachika is individually wrapped? To give the literal waste management more to do? The garbage trucks I've seen in Tokyo are smaller than the average car on a highway in the US...

Back on topic, Japanese claustrophobia isn't limited to just that one demonym. I'm from New York City, and all I need is five minutes on the metro to feel like an expat in my own home-- This works great for the nomadic eater in me. OP, if you're still perplexed by the topic at hand, a capsule hotel is ok for a couple of nights, but not for extended periods of time...