Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Kansai Area Pass - is it worthed to buy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T

Hi all,

I will be in Osaka/Kyoto in 3 weeks time. This is my first time to Japan, so rather overwhelm with the rail things.

I found about Kansai Area Pass. It costs JPY6,170 for 4 consecutive days.

Here is my high level plan.

Day 1 - arrive KIX, going to Kyoto, Kyoto city are sightseeing - overnight in Kyoto
Day 2 - day trip to Nara - overnight in Kyoto
Day 3 - day trip to Kobe? - overnight in Kyoto
Day 4 - Osaka sightseeing - overnight in Osaka
Day 5 - take morning flight 11am back

I heard this ticket cannot be used for subway.

So is it worth to buy this tickets?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Probably worth it.

Without the pass, you'll spend 3,400yen to get from KIX to Kyoto. (Unless you take a more convoluted route for about 2,000 yen). Then you'll spend 1,400 yen to get to Nara and back. And 2,000 yen to get to Kobe and back *(not using the Shinkansen). I would not bother moving hotel to Osaka for the final day. Just catch the Haruka from Kyoto station in the morning. So that's another trip on the Haruka, worth 3,400 yen.

If you weren't travelling to Kobe and Nara, I'd suggest getting two 1-day passes. At 2,000 yen, they're a cheap way to ride the Haruka to Kyoto and back.

Using the pass will restrict you to JR lines, so you won't be able to ride the Kintetsu line to Nara or the Nankai line to KIX. But that's not a huge problem. The pass also won't let you ride the Shinkansen, but it's not necessary for the short distances you're looking at. Also, as you noted, the pass won't cover you for some bus rides and subway rides that you might still choose to pay for.

You can check the rail prices for yourself at
http://www.hyperdia.com/
Old Jul 7, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: FT
with it being your first trip to Japan, I don't see the point in going to kobe. spend another day in Kyoto. in which case, the pass is not worth it.

is there some other non tourist related reason to go to kobe?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
with it being your first trip to Japan, I don't see the point in going to kobe. spend another day in Kyoto. in which case, the pass is not worth it.

is there some other non tourist related reason to go to kobe?
no reason going to kobe.... just thought it is nearby and may be worth to visit...
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
Probably worth it.

Without the pass, you'll spend 3,400yen to get from KIX to Kyoto. (Unless you take a more convoluted route for about 2,000 yen). Then you'll spend 1,400 yen to get to Nara and back. And 2,000 yen to get to Kobe and back *(not using the Shinkansen). I would not bother moving hotel to Osaka for the final day. Just catch the Haruka from Kyoto station in the morning. So that's another trip on the Haruka, worth 3,400 yen.

If you weren't travelling to Kobe and Nara, I'd suggest getting two 1-day passes. At 2,000 yen, they're a cheap way to ride the Haruka to Kyoto and back.

Using the pass will restrict you to JR lines, so you won't be able to ride the Kintetsu line to Nara or the Nankai line to KIX. But that's not a huge problem. The pass also won't let you ride the Shinkansen, but it's not necessary for the short distances you're looking at. Also, as you noted, the pass won't cover you for some bus rides and subway rides that you might still choose to pay for.

You can check the rail prices for yourself at
http://www.hyperdia.com/
so it sounds to me if i skip Kobe, I may just "overpaid" the pass a bit....

the reason i move to Osaka on the last night as I want to do sightseeing in Osaka also. which I think can be covered within a day. Also I got 11 am flight to catch (which may not make any much different I suppose?)
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If you want to maximize your train ticket buy a one day pass and use that for the first day to get to Kyoto, dump your luggage in a locker and go to Nara on that first day. Then go to your Kyoto hotel afterwards.... should work if you don't arrive too late at KIX.

Then you won't need another pass but can just buy tickets. If you plan a bit you can find a cheap Osaka hotel and take a bus to airport as well. But for me Kyoto has a lot more to see and do than Osaka.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1
If you want to maximize your train ticket buy a one day pass and use that for the first day to get to Kyoto, dump your luggage in a locker and go to Nara on that first day. Then go to your Kyoto hotel afterwards.... should work if you don't arrive too late at KIX.

Then you won't need another pass but can just buy tickets. If you plan a bit you can find a cheap Osaka hotel and take a bus to airport as well. But for me Kyoto has a lot more to see and do than Osaka.
Sounds a good plan. Never thought about this before. I will arrive around 7am in the morning after overnight flight from BKK.

Will it to tiring?

I still need the ticket from Kyoto to Osaka on my 4th day right? If I do not use this pass. How much it will cost me to buy a single trip from Kyoto to Osaka
Old Jul 13, 2014, 6:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I think it makes a nice trip to start your first day with.... and it makes arriving at your Kyoto hotel too early for check-in also a moot point. I feel doing a bit of strolling in Nara, seeing some of the sites and then arrive in your Kyoto hotel in the early evening a good use of a first day when just arriving.

Depending on how tired (or not) you feel you can grab a bit to eat at the Kyoto station, there are plenty of decent options for a light meal, or go straight to your hotel. Kyoto station is nice to experience too, if you go to the 10/11 floor to eat you can also visit the viewing platform while you are there. Or go to the basement food market....

Kyoto-Osaka will be something like JPY 550 for a non-reserved seat and it takes 30minutes. Trains can be a bit crowded so avoid rush hour if you can help it, but they are very frequent.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1
I think it makes a nice trip to start your first day with.... and it makes arriving at your Kyoto hotel too early for check-in also a moot point. I feel doing a bit of strolling in Nara, seeing some of the sites and then arrive in your Kyoto hotel in the early evening a good use of a first day when just arriving.

Depending on how tired (or not) you feel you can grab a bit to eat at the Kyoto station, there are plenty of decent options for a light meal, or go straight to your hotel. Kyoto station is nice to experience too, if you go to the 10/11 floor to eat you can also visit the viewing platform while you are there. Or go to the basement food market....

Kyoto-Osaka will be something like JPY 550 for a non-reserved seat and it takes 30minutes. Trains can be a bit crowded so avoid rush hour if you can help it, but they are very frequent.
OK. I think I will follow your suggestion. I will be out of SIN mid night on Sat, and will spend sometimes in BKK before catching my close to mid night flight to KIX. Luckily I will fly C (burning my TG miles before it goes worthless), so I hope I can rest a bit and arrive fresh in KIX and do as per your suggestion to save money

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.