FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   'Redesign' of the JAL Family Club programme (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/2109188-redesign-jal-family-club-programme.html)

paul00 Jan 24, 2023 3:16 am

'Redesign' of the JAL Family Club programme

I have just received the following email from Japan Airlines:

Announcing a Redesign of the JAL Family Club Program

Thank you for participating in the JAL Family Club (JALFC) program.

This email is being sent to inform you that JALFC, the no-annual-fee membership program for JAL Mileage Bank (JMB) members living outside Japan, will be discontinued in or after Summer 2023.

After the discontinuation of JALFC, the program’s special relocation services (services while living outside Japan including family mileage pool) and the Japan repatriation services that are currently available to JALFC members will be offered as new services for JMB members.

Please be sure to take advantage of these additional JMB member services after JALFC is discontinued. No need for customers to follow the procedure. Details about relocation services and repatriation services will start being offered in/after Summer 2023 will be announced on the JALFC site around the end of February 2023.

Final period for requesting JALFC procedures: In or after Summer 2023
*The date will be announced on the JALFC site when details have been finalized.

Thank you for your loyalty to be a JALFC member over the years.
We look forward to your continued participation in the JMB program.

Sincerely,
JAL Mileage Bank

ericmc Jan 24, 2023 12:54 pm

i also got the same notification email, wondering what's gonna happen. and how the members from the same JALFC will be credited the FLYON points, I mean, would the main member got all the points? then members will just be 0?

JALPak Jan 24, 2023 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by ericmc (Post 34953772)
i also got the same notification email, wondering what's gonna happen. and how the members from the same JALFC will be credited the FLYON points, I mean, would the main member got all the points? then members will just be 0?

Miles and FLY ON points are credited to individual accounts. Only miles can be pooled when you redeem for an award.

ericmc Jan 24, 2023 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 34953793)
Miles and FLY ON points are credited to individual accounts. Only miles can be pooled when you redeem for an award.

i c, but do we need to cancel the JALFC now? it seems JAL is making a huge change in the coming year

JALPak Jan 24, 2023 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by ericmc (Post 34954645)
i c, but do we need to cancel the JALFC now? it seems JAL is making a huge change in the coming year

Depends on whether your membership fee is due before the change and whether the primary member has an eligible JAL Group flight coming up that will earn the 1000 mile bonus. Doesn't sound like the change is going to be "huge" for existing overseas JALFC members.

ericmc Jan 25, 2023 2:21 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 34954652)
Depends on whether your membership fee is due before the change and whether the primary member has an eligible JAL Group flight coming up that will earn the 1000 mile bonus. Doesn't sound like the change is going to be "huge" for existing overseas JALFC members.

we redeemed the points a few months ago, now only has 13k in the pool, we are both JGC, we thought they are going to deduct 5k for each to renew the JGC membership for this year

JALPak Jan 25, 2023 10:31 am

Originally Posted by ericmc (Post 34955382)
we redeemed the points a few months ago, now only has 13k in the pool, we are both JGC, we thought they are going to deduct 5k for each to renew the JGC membership for this year

This thread is about JALFC, not JGC.

cabbit Oct 14, 2023 9:14 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 34956395)
This thread is about JALFC, not JGC.

Dear JALPAK: Has there been any changes with JALFC?
Because i'm thinking of doing the JGC run, for me and my 3 kids age 10,9 and 5...

Now, I know if all of us hit 50,000 FOP, then each year need to deducted 5,000 per person in miles, or 20,000 for my family of 4.

however if the JALFC discountines, then there is almost no way for me to give my kids 5000 miles unless they actually fly themself...

So is there any changes to JALFC since the email was send out? or nothing has changed?

Much appreciate for your help!!~~

JALPak Oct 14, 2023 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by cabbit (Post 35663216)
Dear JALPAK: Has there been any changes with JALFC?
Because i'm thinking of doing the JGC run, for me and my 3 kids age 10,9 and 5...

Now, I know if all of us hit 50,000 FOP, then each year need to deducted 5,000 per person in miles, or 20,000 for my family of 4.

however if the JALFC discountines, then there is almost no way for me to give my kids 5000 miles unless they actually fly themself...

So is there any changes to JALFC since the email was send out? or nothing has changed?

Much appreciate for your help!!~~

Haven’t seen any and JALFC site still has conflicting info about fees

FYI, JGC is changing next year and much of the info has not been announced yet. Note that under current rules, there are special conditions on how renewal miles will be deducted for those under 18. We don’t know if that will change or not either.

cabbit Oct 14, 2023 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 35663957)
Haven’t seen any and JALFC site still has conflicting info about fees

FYI, JGC is changing next year and much of the info has not been announced yet. Note that under current rules, there are special conditions on how renewal miles will be deducted for those under 18. We don’t know if that will change or not either.

thank you so much!!! I think I will still commit to status run next month with my 3 kids and all get JGC sapphire and see how the cookie crumbles next year 🤭

izzik Oct 16, 2023 8:40 am

Nevermind

izzik Feb 11, 2024 8:29 am

So, is JALFC still available or discontinued?
thinking of registering for mileage pooling.