FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Lounge access for Business Class tickets redeemed through Asiamiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/2006634-lounge-access-business-class-tickets-redeemed-through-asiamiles.html)

hikouki Jan 29, 2020 1:30 am

Lounge access for Business Class tickets redeemed through Asiamiles

If I book a roundtrip business class flight on JL using my AsiaMiles, will I be given lounge access?

JALPak Jan 29, 2020 1:42 am

Yes based on oneworld policy

Mwenenzi Jan 29, 2020 1:43 am

Originally Posted by hikouki (Post 32006926)
If I book a roundtrip business class flight on JL using my AsiaMiles, will I be given lounge access?

Lounge access is nothing to do with how a flight is purchased (cash award)
Lounge access is based on class of service or Oneworld status
https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits#lounge-access

If your oneworld frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on any oneworld member airline, you can access some 650 airport lounges throughout the world.

hikouki Jan 29, 2020 9:06 pm

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm just curious if access were still possible if I purchase an economy or PEY ticket, then used miles to upgrade? (supposing that is possible with Asiamiles)

I have not flown any OW carrier in the past four years, since I moved over to SkyTeam. Before I had status with CX about six years ago, that airline did not allow any access to the Business Lounge if on a purchased Y/PEY ticket, that was upgraded to business.

I have not had any Asiamiles activity so my miles are expiring this April.

Tokyoite Jan 29, 2020 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by hikouki (Post 32010614)

I'm just curious if access were still possible if I purchase an economy or PEY ticket, then used miles to upgrade? (supposing that is possible with Asiamiles)

I have not flown any OW carrier in the past four years, since I moved over to SkyTeam. Before I had status with CX about six years ago, that airline did not allow any access to the Business Lounge if on a purchased Y/PEY ticket, that was upgraded to business. I have not had any Asiamiles activity so my miles are expiring this April.

Your cabin flown is what determines oneworld lounge access. So, you will get in because you have a business class ticket.
there are airlines with exceptions to this, and those exceptions are clearly laid out on their respective websites (Qatar business upgrade using Q miles, Emirates award flights by partners etc.)
JAL doesn’t have this language on their website, so it’s not an issue when you book/upgrade into a JAL business class flight using Cathay/partner miles.
if you are asking about a situation where you book/upgrade into a Cathay business class flight using Cathay miles, best to ask in the Cathay Pacific flyertalk forum.

hikouki Jan 29, 2020 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyoite (Post 32010635)
Your cabin flown is what determines oneworld lounge access. So, you will get in because you have a business class ticket.
there are airlines with exceptions to this, and those exceptions are clearly laid out on their respective websites (Qatar business upgrade using Q miles, Emirates award flights by partners etc.)
JAL doesn’t have this language on their website, so it’s not an issue when you book/upgrade into a JAL business class flight using Cathay/partner miles.
if you are asking about a situation where you book/upgrade into a Cathay business class flight using Cathay miles, best to ask in the Cathay Pacific flyertalk forum.

Thanks!

Mwenenzi Jan 29, 2020 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by hikouki (Post 32006926)

Originally Posted by hikouki (Post 32010614)

I have not flown any OW carrier in the past four years, since I moved over to SkyTeam. Before I had status with CX about six years ago, that airline did not allow any access to the Business Lounge if on a purchased Y/PEY ticket, that was upgraded to business.

I have not had any Asiamiles activity so my miles are expiring this April.

I am not aware of any cross airline upgrade scheme with Asiamiles / JL. Anyway upgrades are not guaranteed.
Some airlines do not allow lounge access on upgrade, especially when done at check in, as they only look at the base fare (Y/PE)

New Asiamiles now do not expire. "Old" Asiamiles can made non expiring for a $ fee.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...18-months.html