FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Lounge Closure at HND (Jul 1 2019 - Mar 2020) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1973819-lounge-closure-hnd-jul-1-2019-mar-2020-a.html)

JALPak Jun 13, 2019 3:21 am

Lounge Closure at HND (Jul 1 2019 - Mar 2020)

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/190611.html

First phase will start Jul 1 2019, expected completion date is Oct 2019. Sakura Lounge SKYVIEW will be closed and JAL will provide access to SKY LOUNGE ANNEX, the paid lounge downstairs. Of course you can access the main Sakura Lounge.

First Class lounge will also be renovated before Mar 2020. Unclear whether the main Sakura Lounge will be closed for renovation or not.

ajeleonard Jun 13, 2019 3:28 am

Pretty late notice just three weeks ahead

JALPak Jun 13, 2019 3:28 am

Pure speculation on my part, they are doing this to increase lounge capacity because of the upcoming HND expansion. I doubt they are getting more space for SKYVIEW and even the F lounge. Will be sad to see them removing red suite and that green carpet room in SKYVIEW to increase capacity :(

CPH-Flyer Jun 13, 2019 4:09 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 31198067)
Pure speculation on my part, they are doing this to increase lounge capacity because of the upcoming HND expansion. I doubt they are getting more space for SKYVIEW and even the F lounge. Will be sad to see them removing red suite and that green carpet room in SKYVIEW to increase capacity :(

They could start by taking down the wall to where the massage area used to be, and then get more seating that way

BLazarus22 Jun 13, 2019 4:28 am

Or perhaps in preparation for the Olympic games, given the finishing date is just a few months before.

Unless the expansion is also related to the games, then I guess that's just transitive property.

CPH-Flyer Jun 13, 2019 4:32 am

Originally Posted by BLazarus22 (Post 31198162)
Or perhaps in preparation for the Olympic games, given the finishing date is just a few months before.

Unless the expansion is also related to the games, then I guess that's just transitive property.

The expansion happens from April first 2020. So it all comes together in one big cause for the renovation.

JALPak Jun 13, 2019 4:42 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31198171)
The expansion happens from April first 2020. So it all comes together in one big cause for the renovation.

The entire Tokyo is having one big renovation right now. Almost every JR station I visited last week have some kind of renovation going on :D

Mizunara Jun 13, 2019 8:01 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 31198189)
The entire Tokyo is having one big renovation right now. Almost every JR station I visited last week have some kind of renovation going on :D

Don’t forget Takanawa Gateway! The name still feels weird off the tongue, but that should be done by next summer. It’ll be a relief once Shibuya finally gets done — the construction on the non-Yamanote Line platforms has been going on forever.

Beltway2A Jun 13, 2019 8:39 am

There's no closing date set for the F lounge yet, if I'm reading the announcement correctly? I'll be flying ex-HND in F in Sep 2019, hopefully the F lounge doesn't close until Nov 2019 once the Skyview renovation is done.

JALPak Jun 13, 2019 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A (Post 31198813)
There's no closing date set for the F lounge yet, if I'm reading the announcement correctly? I'll be flying ex-HND in F in Sep 2019, hopefully the F lounge doesn't close until Nov 2019 once the Skyview renovation is done.

you never know. they can start with partial closure before completion of SKYVIEW

coolfish1103 Jun 13, 2019 9:43 am

Maybe they can turn the Sakura Skyview Lounge to a dedicated First Class Lounge and then tear down the entire First Lounge to make expansions?

rustykettel Jun 13, 2019 12:14 pm

Will be sad to see them removing red suite and that green carpet room in SKYVIEW to increase capacity :(

:( That's unfortunate.

CPH-Flyer Jun 13, 2019 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 31199528)

:( That's unfortunate.

And not yet a given, or an announced intention. :)

FireEmblemPride Jun 18, 2019 5:23 pm

Doesn't feel that long ago when the last remodel took place... 2014, if I remember correctly.

CPH-Flyer Jun 18, 2019 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride (Post 31216560)
Doesn't feel that long ago when the last remodel took place... 2014, if I remember correctly.

The F lounge opened after the remodeling in late August or early September 2014.