Lounge Closure at HND (Jul 1 2019 - Mar 2020)

Old Jun 13, 19, 3:21 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Lounge Closure at HND (Jul 1 2019 - Mar 2020)

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/190611.html

First phase will start Jul 1 2019, expected completion date is Oct 2019. Sakura Lounge SKYVIEW will be closed and JAL will provide access to SKY LOUNGE ANNEX, the paid lounge downstairs. Of course you can access the main Sakura Lounge.

First Class lounge will also be renovated before Mar 2020. Unclear whether the main Sakura Lounge will be closed for renovation or not.
Old Jun 13, 19, 3:28 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Pretty late notice just three weeks ahead
Old Jun 13, 19, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Pure speculation on my part, they are doing this to increase lounge capacity because of the upcoming HND expansion. I doubt they are getting more space for SKYVIEW and even the F lounge. Will be sad to see them removing red suite and that green carpet room in SKYVIEW to increase capacity
Old Jun 13, 19, 4:09 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Pure speculation on my part, they are doing this to increase lounge capacity because of the upcoming HND expansion. I doubt they are getting more space for SKYVIEW and even the F lounge. Will be sad to see them removing red suite and that green carpet room in SKYVIEW to increase capacity
They could start by taking down the wall to where the massage area used to be, and then get more seating that way
Old Jun 13, 19, 4:28 am

Programs: Honors Gold; AA Ex Plat
Or perhaps in preparation for the Olympic games, given the finishing date is just a few months before.

Unless the expansion is also related to the games, then I guess that's just transitive property.
Old Jun 13, 19, 4:32 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by BLazarus22 View Post
Or perhaps in preparation for the Olympic games, given the finishing date is just a few months before.

Unless the expansion is also related to the games, then I guess that's just transitive property.
The expansion happens from April first 2020. So it all comes together in one big cause for the renovation.
Old Jun 13, 19, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
The expansion happens from April first 2020. So it all comes together in one big cause for the renovation.
The entire Tokyo is having one big renovation right now. Almost every JR station I visited last week have some kind of renovation going on
Old Jun 13, 19, 8:01 am

Programs: JGC Sapphire
The entire Tokyo is having one big renovation right now. Almost every JR station I visited last week have some kind of renovation going on
Donít forget Takanawa Gateway! The name still feels weird off the tongue, but that should be done by next summer. Itíll be a relief once Shibuya finally gets done ó the construction on the non-Yamanote Line platforms has been going on forever.
Old Jun 13, 19, 8:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
There's no closing date set for the F lounge yet, if I'm reading the announcement correctly? I'll be flying ex-HND in F in Sep 2019, hopefully the F lounge doesn't close until Nov 2019 once the Skyview renovation is done.
Old Jun 13, 19, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
There's no closing date set for the F lounge yet, if I'm reading the announcement correctly? I'll be flying ex-HND in F in Sep 2019, hopefully the F lounge doesn't close until Nov 2019 once the Skyview renovation is done.
you never know. they can start with partial closure before completion of SKYVIEW
Old Jun 13, 19, 9:43 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Maybe they can turn the Sakura Skyview Lounge to a dedicated First Class Lounge and then tear down the entire First Lounge to make expansions?
Old Jun 13, 19, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Will be sad to see them removing red suite and that green carpet room in SKYVIEW to increase capacity
That's unfortunate.
Old Jun 13, 19, 3:14 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post

That's unfortunate.
And not yet a given, or an announced intention.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Jun 18, 19, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, JL Sapphire
Doesn't feel that long ago when the last remodel took place... 2014, if I remember correctly.
Old Jun 18, 19, 5:51 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride View Post
Doesn't feel that long ago when the last remodel took place... 2014, if I remember correctly.
The F lounge opened after the remodeling in late August or early September 2014.

Search this Thread