FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   First class award waitlist questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1965920-first-class-award-waitlist-questions.html)

flguy Apr 17, 2019 8:12 pm

First class award waitlist questions

i just requested 2 first class awards TKO JFK that are waitlisted. Does anyone know how fast they release awards, waitlist expires 1st week of may. I chose 3 different dates and requested all to see if any open up.
I also see open business class for 50k miles and was wondering if i got this award now and F opens up could i switch to F from J or once i get J tickets and no longer have 70k miles in account would it void my F request
thanks in advance

Wasabi Tofu Apr 17, 2019 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by flguy (Post 31012342)
i just requested 2 first class awards TKO JFK that are waitlisted. Does anyone know how fast they release awards, waitlist expires 1st week of may. I chose 3 different dates and requested all to see if any open up.
I also see open business class for 50k miles and was wondering if i got this award now and F opens up could i switch to F from J or once i get J tickets and no longer have 70k miles in account would it void my F request
thanks in advance

Really, can you make wait list for 3 different dates ?
JAL web site:
JAL Mileage Bank - JAL International Award Tickets : How to Request Awards

Waitlisting for First Class

Waitlisting is permitted for one itinerary only.
Waitlisting is permitted for 1 flight sector each way per itinerary. If the itinerary includes confirmed flight sector(s), additional waitlisted reservations will not be permitted for the confirmed flight sector(s).
Priority waitlisting will apply to JMB FLY ON status members (JMB Diamond, JGC Premier, JMB Sapphire, and JMB Crystal members) and JAL Global Club members.
If the requested number of seats is unavailable for all passengers on the same reservation, all of the passengers on the reservation will be waitlisted.

BTW, to clear TWO F seats, you NEED TWO F seats at the same time. Therefore, when ONE seat is available, that seat goes to a person who requested ONE seat.

And, you have a chance to upgrade C to F at the check in counter.
See JAL Mileage Bank - Use your miles at the airport on the day of your flight!

Award tickets can be upgraded with miles!

Changing Your JAL International Award Ticket to a Higher Service Class at the Airport on the Day of Your Flight.

CPH-Flyer Apr 17, 2019 11:11 pm

Generally, releases tend to happen from two weeks before the flight, though there is not an exact pattern. Waiting to clear an upgrade seems to release easier than an award booking

If you book a J award, you can't, as far as I know, hold a waitlist for the same flight in F. Should F become available, you would need to cancel the J award and book the F award instead. Though I am not 100% sure on this.

flguy Apr 17, 2019 11:56 pm

Thanks i have been calling the JAL service number for 2 days to see if they can answer my questions but have been on hold forever waiting for an agent. Called twice today both times i hung up after 40 minutes waiting. Ridiculous

roberto99 Apr 18, 2019 9:19 pm

It is not uncommon for waitlists for awards to never clear.

Hay Yau Jun 4, 2023 6:28 pm

Anyone have data points on when F award tickets on wait list would be released?
Looking for 2 seats HND-JFK in Aug. Currently outbound has 5 out of 8 seats available to purchase, and inbound 6 out 8.

General consensus on this forum is T-14 days... which is a pain as wait list validity expires every 7 days.

Not going to happen, or should I try my luck?
Candid responses appreciated!

guymccr Aug 28, 2023 6:35 am

JAL F - how best to book two awards?

Good day everyone

I am trying to book two first class one way awards (for myself and partner) and wondered if you could help? I am aware that in general, JAL only releases one F award far out from departure.

I have found a couple of dates where one F seat is available - but when I search for two, it says 'waitlist' of course.

What would be the right strategy here do you think? Should I book the one available F seat for one of us, and then make a separate booking for one waitlist F seat? (Obviously this means that we would be on separate PNR references, which I would like to avoid if possible as travelling together.)

Or do you know from your experience, is there a way when you click through on the waitlist for two people, that the JAL Mileage Bank booking system will take the one F award seat and then put the other seat on the waitlist? Or will it not take the available seat and just put both on the waitlist in that scenario?

Many thanks for any help you can give with how best to approach this!

Cheers
G