First class award waitlist questions

Old Apr 17, 19, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG Gold
First class award waitlist questions

i just requested 2 first class awards TKO JFK that are waitlisted. Does anyone know how fast they release awards, waitlist expires 1st week of may. I chose 3 different dates and requested all to see if any open up.
I also see open business class for 50k miles and was wondering if i got this award now and F opens up could i switch to F from J or once i get J tickets and no longer have 70k miles in account would it void my F request
thanks in advance
Old Apr 17, 19, 9:33 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, DL Gold
Originally Posted by flguy View Post
i just requested 2 first class awards TKO JFK that are waitlisted. Does anyone know how fast they release awards, waitlist expires 1st week of may. I chose 3 different dates and requested all to see if any open up.
I also see open business class for 50k miles and was wondering if i got this award now and F opens up could i switch to F from J or once i get J tickets and no longer have 70k miles in account would it void my F request
thanks in advance
Really, can you make wait list for 3 different dates ?
JAL web site:
JAL Mileage Bank - JAL International Award Tickets : How to Request Awards

Waitlisting for First Class

Waitlisting is permitted for one itinerary only.
Waitlisting is permitted for 1 flight sector each way per itinerary. If the itinerary includes confirmed flight sector(s), additional waitlisted reservations will not be permitted for the confirmed flight sector(s).
Priority waitlisting will apply to JMB FLY ON status members (JMB Diamond, JGC Premier, JMB Sapphire, and JMB Crystal members) and JAL Global Club members.
If the requested number of seats is unavailable for all passengers on the same reservation, all of the passengers on the reservation will be waitlisted.
BTW, to clear TWO F seats, you NEED TWO F seats at the same time. Therefore, when ONE seat is available, that seat goes to a person who requested ONE seat.

And, you have a chance to upgrade C to F at the check in counter.
See JAL Mileage Bank - Use your miles at the airport on the day of your flight!
Award tickets can be upgraded with miles!

Changing Your JAL International Award Ticket to a Higher Service Class at the Airport on the Day of Your Flight.
Old Apr 17, 19, 11:11 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Generally, releases tend to happen from two weeks before the flight, though there is not an exact pattern. Waiting to clear an upgrade seems to release easier than an award booking

If you book a J award, you can't, as far as I know, hold a waitlist for the same flight in F. Should F become available, you would need to cancel the J award and book the F award instead. Though I am not 100% sure on this.
Old Apr 17, 19, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG Gold
Thanks i have been calling the JAL service number for 2 days to see if they can answer my questions but have been on hold forever waiting for an agent. Called twice today both times i hung up after 40 minutes waiting. Ridiculous
Old Apr 18, 19, 9:19 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
It is not uncommon for waitlists for awards to never clear.